• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Romancing SaGa
  3. Memory-based cheat codes

User Info: dogpanda

dogpanda
6 years ago#1
Hi all - I wanted to try to give something interesting back to this community!

I sometimes play around with an emulator - and Cheat Engine. Through some testing/save states, I'm managing to discover quite a few interesting memory locations - they'll change with versions of the emulator but the relative distances of the locations wouldn't change. I'd be happy to post the values I've found so far - mostly things to save some grinding, like Saruin's favor, monster ecology counts, ER, jewels, money...

Is this of interest here?

User Info: TopperCop

TopperCop
6 years ago#2
Apparently, the interest is in the codes to recall Sorcery or Necromancy, so that characters other than Red Mage can use them.

dogpanda
6 years ago#3
Is there a location where a character can learn those spells?

User Info: TopperCop

TopperCop
6 years ago#4
Probably right along with the other recall options.

User Info: Feathermind

Feathermind
6 years ago#5
Yeah, that information would be enlightening.

(As to the sorcery/necromancy thing, there isn't a known location to learn it in game but players are always hopeful one will be uncovered. The only location of the spells in game is in the repertoire of Red Mage.)

Some of the data you're uncovering may already be listed in Ramtieger's FAQ(assuming you mean initial values and not the memory addresses themselves); it couldn't hurt to check and see if they match up, and use that to inform your own research.

But there's a lot left unknown. Better understanding of the numbers behind monster ecology would be very useful, for instance.

dogpanda
6 years ago#6
I _do_ mean the memory addresses. It would have been much harder to find any of this without the help of those FAQs - for instance, to find the address for Saruin's favor, I saved states before and after killing Galahad, and looked for the location that changed by 100 (in that particular case).

dogpanda
6 years ago#7
20423454 : Saruin's favor
204233DC : money
21FD0C4C : (also money? probably for battle)
204234C0 : jewels
21FD0D30 : (also jewels? probably for battle)
20423408 : rank points
21FD0C78 : rank points during battle - copied over at the end of battle
20423470 : number of beasts during beast ecology quest
20423484 : number of aquatics during beast ecology quest

I don't know the numbers for the other ecology quests - I imagine they're different locations...

dogpanda
6 years ago#8
I should clarify - the ecology numbers are not "number of " so much as some abstract counter I don't quite understand... However, every time you kill a some monsters from that group, it seemed to decrease by 20. To win the beast ecology quest, you can simply that the number to 9999999...!

One thing I haven't experimented with - but is an interesting idea - is seeing what happens if you decrease your ER to a lower ER - what works and what breaks? Could be interesting.

The Jewels value is interesting - you can set it very high, but then you end up getting some error messages when you get jewels in a quest or something.

User Info: Eleinia

Eleinia
6 years ago#9
Perhaps if one can figure out how they store or keep track which techs/spells are learned by which character, then it should be easy to add Sorcery/Necro spells.

What about if you try comparing save states before and after buying a spell from the shop? I wonder if each character simply owns a flag for each of the available techs/spells, which then gets set to 1 when they learn it; or if it's stored in some other way.
"After that, it's gonna be World Domination!" - Mint, Threads of Fate

dogpanda
6 years ago#10
I've thought of that. I haven't done it yet because there wasn't a need as far as my playing of the game goes, but maybe I'll get around to it. If the spell locations are in a sequential order, it might be possible to extrapolate the other locations. That would be an easy one to do.

Getting Red Mage into your party might be a bit harder - I imagine when he joins/leaves the party, a _lot_ of variables change!
Conceivably, one could also get Brau and Sylvan into a non Claudia party that way..
I know there's another thread on similar cheat codes - but with a different format. I'll have to look at that and see if it can be applied this way.
  1. Boards
  2. Romancing SaGa
  3. Memory-based cheat codes
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A