• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Shadow of the Colossus
  3. Basaran is a complete pile of crap and the entire reason why this game sucks.

User Info: TheShinyTrader

TheShinyTrader
1 year ago#1
I'm so done with this mistake of a boss
Pokemon Breeder, Trader, Collector. All my shinies for trade are here: https://tinyurl.com/y74bs544
3DS FC: 1908-3088-9660, PM me if you want to trade Pokemon!

TheShinyTrader
1 year ago#2
Oh sorry I meant pelagia
Pokemon Breeder, Trader, Collector. All my shinies for trade are here: https://tinyurl.com/y74bs544

User Info: RocketJess

RocketJess
1 year ago#3
No, I'm pretty sure you meant Basaran. At least Pelagia can be steered.

*screams internally as Basaran finally gets in position over a geyser and moves off again before it can fire*

*screams again after finally getting up only to be thrown back off because there's nothing to hold onto*
RocketJess, blasting off again!
PSN: iscah_rambles

TheShinyTrader
1 year ago#4
RocketJess posted...
No, I'm pretty sure you meant Basaran. At least Pelagia can be steered.

*screams internally as Basaran finally gets in position over a geyser and moves off again before it can fire*

*screams again after finally getting up only to be thrown back off because there's nothing to hold onto*

no no, basaran was only bull for me due to the fact that it would spam its garbage laser attacks in the dozens no matter how close to it I was with Agro, that and I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go once I latched onto its underbelly. Hell one time it flipped over and I could climb it without me even needing to shoot its other two feet. I lost it at pelagia because the guide here says to hide behind the pillar before it shoots, but then it shot me through the stupid pillar. Apparently I can dive underwater to reach its backside while avoiding its' laser attack but it always turns around to where I am.

Speaking of high levels of bull in this certain game. Phaedra took me way too freaking long, I get that you're supposed to get underneath the ruins to make it look into them so you can climb up its backside, but how the hell was I supposed to figure THAT out without a video guide or just a guide in general? Another one was Hydrus, that thing was just pure RNG. Will it come up for air? Will I actually latch onto the tail without rolling off? The water doesn't let you see clearly, which made me think that when I was actually going to reach it when it came up, but no I was off by a fairly large margin. Then there was the worry of my stupid stamina meter running out due to the fact that it gives you little time to actually get it back before you're plunged back underwater and you can't latch on it because you'll float while hydrus is underwater. Dirge is one I would also call out, but I actually had an incredibly easy time with him.

TheShinyTrader
1 year ago#5
nevermind phalanx is the biggest piece of s*** and so is this game

TheShinyTrader
1 year ago#6
nevermind the nevermind cenobia more than made up for the heap of trash that was phalanx

RocketJess
1 year ago#7
TheShinyTrader posted...
basaran was only bull for me due to the fact that it would spam its garbage laser attacks in the dozens no matter how close to it I was with Agro, that and I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go once I latched onto its underbelly. Hell one time it flipped over and I could climb it without me even needing to shoot its other two feet.

The lasers are endless - generally you dodge it by riding at an angle rather than directly towards/away from Basaran, but that's what makes guiding it onto a geyser so frustrating. You can't just stay in one place and make it chase you in the direction you want it to move.

I think you only need to shoot each foot out once - so if it gets flipped up again in the same direction it will go straight over.

TheShinyTrader posted...
I lost it at pelagia because the guide here says to hide behind the pillar before it shoots, but then it shot me through the stupid pillar. Apparently I can dive underwater to reach its backside while avoiding its' laser attack but it always turns around to where I am.

Might have been bad luck that it shot you through the pillar - I've never had that happen to me. Did you crouch down or were you standing?

You need to dive and constantly swim as close to its body as you can (go under its front leg, not around) until you reach the tail. It does turn frustratingly fast.

TheShinyTrader posted...
Phaedra took me way too freaking long, I get that you're supposed to get underneath the ruins to make it look into them so you can climb up its backside, but how the hell was I supposed to figure THAT out without a video guide or just a guide in general? Another one was Hydrus, that thing was just pure RNG. Will it come up for air? Will I actually latch onto the tail without rolling off? The water doesn't let you see clearly, which made me think that when I was actually going to reach it when it came up, but no I was off by a fairly large margin. Then there was the worry of my stupid stamina meter running out due to the fact that it gives you little time to actually get it back before you're plunged back underwater and you can't latch on it because you'll float while hydrus is underwater.

I can't remember whether I had to consult a guide about Phaedra. I think you might get a hint from Dormin if the battle goes long enough? The ruins are conspicuous enough that you might think to try using them as an escape route, but having Phaedra get down low enough to climb onto its back is another thing entirely...

As far as I can remember, Hydrus does signal (I think it roars?) when its about to start its dive animation that will let you grab its tail - but yes, getting into the right position for that is incredibly frustrating.

I'm not sure what you mean by being unable to latch on because you float when Hydrus is underwater? You can definitely keep hold of him, you just need to grab on before he goes under.

So anyway, you've beaten Cenobia which means you're up to Argus and Malus - both of which I felt had parts that were not very well designed for solving without help.

(And *then* there's Trico of The Last Guardian, who gives you all the frustration of some of the colossus behaviours except you're supposed to be forming a positive relationship with him.)

TheShinyTrader
1 year ago#8
RocketJess posted...
(and *then* there's trico of the last guardian, who gives you all the frustration of some of the colossus behaviours except you're supposed to be forming a positive relationship with him.)

yo wait what, but he's like a dog and I am a small boi.
Also do you have any tips or anything for phalanx? In the case that I want to play this again?

RocketJess
1 year ago#9
TheShinyTrader posted...
yo wait what, but he's like a dog and I am a small boi.

A big critical-to-platforming-progress dog who won't always do what you want him to do. There are particular jumps that I have so much trouble with - you can see there's a ledge you need to get to, you can give the 'jump' command over and over and he will just sit there. Or jump in place. Or turn around and slowly jump down the series of pillars we had to jump across to get here in the first place.

Then there's an area with water-filled caves and you need him to dive down and take you with him into the next area... It literally took me at least half an hour. Possibly a full hour. He wouldn't dive while I was on his back. He'd dive when I got off. He'd come back and get out of the water and get back in and I'd try to get him to dive and ARGH. Cycle around again with breaks where I'd wander off and explore the room thinking I must have missed something, but I hadn't.

The game just doesn't give you enough feedback to know if you're doing something wrong and how to fix it.

One thing that I've seen people suggest (that I think may have been the source of my control issues) is that Trico may only respond to commands when he can see you - so when riding him, you need to be on his back and not his neck/head (despite that seeming like a natural place to be, for me at least).

TLG is my least favourite of the three games, mainly because of control issues like this but I also thought it had a weaker story than the other two. ICO was outstanding for me and I was completely emotionally drawn in - I don't like SotC anywhere near as much but stuck around with it mostly because of how much I loved ICO. Now they seem like two halves of a complete object, storywise, for me (having put a lot of effort into imagining how they link together) but TLG doesn't feel like it fits in.

SotC's gameplay still frustrates me, but I love exploring the world - even with the older graphics it is so beautiful.

TheShinyTrader posted...
Also do you have any tips or anything for phalanx? In the case that I want to play this again?

Last time I played it (a little while ago now) I'd notice that he does a different behaviour if you've shot out some of the gas balloons - sinking to half altitude or even briefly to ground height, in which case you could probably leap straight off Agro onto its back. It might only happen once per 'cycle' though - I think I followed it for a while after I'd seen it do that, but it didn't happen again so it was back to the usual frustrating chase-and-jump.

For a long time I've also been trying to catch hold of Phalanx as it rises from the sand - it's always in the same spot, and you can hold L1 to keep the camera on its position. I've grabbed on once or twice but got knocked off again as it twisted around, and never got airborne.

TheShinyTrader
1 year ago#10
RocketJess posted...
last time i played it (a little while ago now) i'd notice that he does a different behaviour if you've shot out some of the gas balloons - sinking to half altitude or even briefly to ground height, in which case you could probably leap straight off agro onto its back. it might only happen once per 'cycle' though - i think i followed it for a while after i'd seen it do that, but it didn't happen again so it was back to the usual frustrating chase-and-jump.

There is no way to get onto its back without grabbing its wings. And those stupid wings are so frustrating because you never know if you'll grab on to them or not, even then there's the chance you'll completely f*** up just trying to climb the stupid things wings due to what I assume to be poor programming and physics. (Though to be fair, the physics in this game aren't anything to write home about anyways)
  1. Boards
  2. Shadow of the Colossus
  3. Basaran is a complete pile of crap and the entire reason why this game sucks.
  • Topic Archived