• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Shadow of the Colossus
  3. How do you pronounce each colossus name?

User Info: Askeladd

Askeladd
10 years ago#11
I pronounce them:

wuhn
too
three
fawr
fahyv
siks
sev-uhn
eyt
nahyn
ten
i-lev-uhn
twelv
thur-teen
fawr-teen
fif-teen
skis-teen

I am lightning. The rain transformed. Raiden, METALGEARSOLIDL,

User Info: Mookiethebold

Mookiethebold
10 years ago#12
I'd very much like for you to tell me where exactly that list originated from.

Back when SotC was first released, a list of colossi names was published in Dengenki Magazine as well as in the booklet that came with the CD soundtrack.
passing the time

User Info: Blazin_Twilight

Blazin_Twilight
10 years ago#13
alucard has just won this topic.
The answer to 75% of all Message Board questions: Google, look at an FAQ, and use the Search Bar.
Self reliance goes a LONG way.

User Info: Olivier_Hague

Olivier_Hague
10 years ago#14
>Back when SotC was first released, a list of colossi names was published in Dengenki Magazine as well as in the booklet that came with the CD soundtrack.

That's not true. I have the soundtrack right here, and there's no such list. And Japanese players (who tend to read articles about the game in FamiTsû and Dengeki) have never heard of it either.

That list is just BS. A fan creation. 'Not sure if whoever first claimed those names were legit actually knew they were spreading misinformation, but the fact remains: it's BS.

Ueda said himself (in the Japanese guide... ISBN4-7577-2580-9, if you want to check: it's on page 140) that the Colossi have no official names. Which really shouldn't be surprising considering the minimalist settings of the guy's games. Blink and you'll miss Mono's name, whereas that list had... what? three names for each Colossus? And some are Latin names? You mean the Roman Empire exists/existed, in that universe?
Officially, the Colossi are just "1st Colossus", "2nd Colossus", etc. While they were given informal nicknames by the development staff, they were never given official names.

The nicknames are as follow, by the way:
1: Minotauros
2: Mammoth
3: Kishi ("knight" in Japanese)
4: Kirin ("qilin" in Japanese)
5: Tori ("Bird" in Japanese)
6: Minotauros B
7: Unagi ("eel" in Japanese)
8: Yamori ("gecko" in Japanese)
9: Kame ("turtle" in Japanese)
10: Nāga
11: Leo
12: Poseidon
13: Hebi ("snake" in Japanese)
14: Kerberos
15: Minotauros C
16: Eevis

Olivier_Hague
10 years ago#15
The macron in the nickname of the 10th Colossus came out wrong... It's "Nâga". As in:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C4%81ga

Olivier_Hague
10 years ago#16
I may have found the culprit:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=shadowofcolossus&thread.id=4520

It was nice of him to be so specific about which issue of Dengeki PlayStation he was talking about. Unfortunately, there's no such list in that issue.
But I do like the nice touch he added, just in case:
"it was a Collectors Edition issue made just for this game - at select retailers"
Suuuure...

I also like how some, later in that same topic, mention they've seen another, different list on PSU, and wonder what's going on.
Well, what's going on is that the PSU list was the real deal:
1.Minotaur A
2.Mammoth
3.Knight
4.Kirin
5.Bird
6.Minotaur B
7.Eel
8.Yavori
9.Tortoise
10.Narga
11.Leo
12.Poseidon
13.Snake
14.Cerberus
15.Minotaur C
16.Evis
There are some typos here and there, and they took it upon themselves to translate the Japanese names and change the "Minotauros" and "Kerberos" into "Minotaur" and "Cerberus", but apart from that, yes, that's the same list I quoted above, from the official Japanese guide.
(and again, it's not a list of official names, just nicknames that were used among the staff during the development of the game)

Now, how did the fake list became so famous when the real one was also out there?
http://boards.ign.com/shadow_of_the_colossus/b8115/101729909/r101731920/
"Apparently PSU has another conflicting list, but these are way way cooler sounding. "
Well.

And there you have it: this is how BS like this spreads on the internet.

Askeladd
10 years ago#17

alucard has just won this topic.

I think Mr. Hague won the topic, but it is nice to feel appreciated. :]
Unlike a lot of people on this board, I never learned the names because I am just lazy. I guess I had the right idea though.

Though now do to a misreading on my part I will now and forever refer to the final boss as "Elvis."

User Info: SpirtualCrystos

SpirtualCrystos
10 years ago#18
Allright,but the names that is'nt real then,how too pronounce tehm
Holy *** These things is huge,and it's 16 of 'em
(My meeting with the 1st colossus)

Olivier_Hague
10 years ago#19
>Though now do to a misreading on my part I will now and forever refer to the final boss as "Elvis."

Which isn't all that bad, considering that's where the name comes from, you psychic you! ^__^;;;

Ueda explains that it went like this: they were discussing how the game has the player going against huge powers, thought that gave a bit of a "dissident vibe" to the whole thing... Dissident like rock and roll... And who's the god of rock and roll?
So they took his name, tweaked a bit, and gave it to the last Colossus. ^^;

It's all on page 141 of the official guide. You can give yourself a pat on the back for guessing that one just like that. ^^

Askeladd
10 years ago#20
And I thought that this game couldn't get any cooler.

Mind powers for the freaken win .
  1. Boards
  2. Shadow of the Colossus
  3. How do you pronounce each colossus name?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A