The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

OBMM Question

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI
8 years ago#1

I haven't played Oblivion in over 2 years so the Mod Manager has me a little confused. I'm not exactly sure if I'm doing this right. Can somebody clarify for me exactly what to do when I create a texture OMOD (some of them don't have any OMOD data in them). Right now I'm just creating one, adding a folder and hitting create OMOD. It seems to work as it displays some progress bars working.

And how does this ArchiveInvalidation function work? I keep getting an error saying it can't unregister obmm/BSARedirection.bsa because it can't find [Archive] in Oblivion.ini. Huh? And the box that pops up always gives me the same 3 numbers: "Files Modified: 1, Entries Modified: 40, Hash Collisions: 3."

I'd really like to just play, but none of this makes any sense to me. The help file didn't really seem to help. Can somebody just humor me and explain what I'm doing wrong?

DukeEdwardI
8 years ago#2

Alright, so I think I might have figured it out. Was going just fine, adding more and more mods, all green/blue with a couple of meaningless reds and am FINALLY about ready to start the game after a full day of downloading and getting everything all set up. But then OBMM freezes and I have to exit via the task manager which causes all the mods activated thus far to screw up. This is about the third or forth time this has happenend. And some of these mods take a long ass time to activate (qarl's retexture pack and unique landscapes, have to reinstall/reconfigure that.

Is that a normal activity when one mods Oblivion? Do you get a fatal error every time you exit OBMM and then have to reactivate your mods every time you want to play? I feel like I've done something terribly wrong.

User Info: DANTE20XX

DANTE20XX
8 years ago#3
Hmmmm, yeah. You must have done something wrong. I've never had OBMM crash on me nor had to reactivate any mods.
"because im not trying to look smart to win my argument, i have an actual case so i dont need to resort to tactics like that" - FreeIpod

DukeEdwardI
8 years ago#4

Perhaps I'll start over with a fresh installation. I've got all the mods on my hard drive, so I don't have to spend the time downloading them. And I think I have a better idea of what I'm supposed to be doing.

It still boggles my mind though. I thought I was doing everything right, but the mods just didn't seem to want to work. Even after I had everything all activated, they didn't work ingame. Only a handful (DarNified UI and the Unofficial patch) worked. NONE of the texture replacers worked, must have not used the correct ArchiveInvalidation function? What's the best way to get the texture replacements to work?

Oof, I don't know if I want to keep going with this tonight. Perhaps I'll give it a go tomorrow.

DukeEdwardI
8 years ago#5

Would running XP64 be a possible cause? I know it's not a very well supported OS anymore...

User Info: DANTE20XX

DANTE20XX
8 years ago#6
Damn, I was going to link you an older topic where I explained in somewhat great detail of how to use OBMM and make OMODs easily, but I can't find it.

Anyways, you're definitely not installing them right. Generally, if it's a smaller mod and only has 1 esp file, then it's a very simple process of using OBMM to install it.
You don't even have to unzip the file. Just go to "create" (from OBMM) and then "add archive" and select the zip file. After you add the name/description and the version, you create the OMOD file. If the mod was packaged right, all the files will install to their proper places. Then you just activate it.

must have not used the correct ArchiveInvalidation function?

I honestly have no idea what this is....

Would running XP64 be a possible cause? I know it's not a very well supported OS anymore...

Doubtful, but I suppose it's possible.
"because im not trying to look smart to win my argument, i have an actual case so i dont need to resort to tactics like that" - FreeIpod

DukeEdwardI
8 years ago#7

Dante200X posted...
Damn, I was going to link you an older topic where I explained in somewhat great detail of how to use OBMM and make OMODs easily, but I can't find it.

Anyways, you're definitely not installing them right. Generally, if it's a smaller mod and only has 1 esp file, then it's a very simple process of using OBMM to install it.
You don't even have to unzip the file. Just go to "create" (from OBMM) and then "add archive" and select the zip file. After you add the name/description and the version, you create the OMOD file. If the mod was packaged right, all the files will install to their proper places. Then you just activate it.

I was doing exactly that. Well, not quite. I was extracting them to a folder and then doing "add folder" instead of "add archive." Should be the same thing though pretty much right? And after creating the OMOD file they were showing green meaning everything was where in should be. Not a problem when activating them either. Just took a damn long time with a few of them.

Dante200X posted...
must have not used the correct ArchiveInvalidation function?

I honestly have no idea what this is....

You know, for texture replacement mods that have no esp/esm file to activate. At least I remembered I had to copy all of these custom directory locations to trick the game into running those files instead of the vanilla files. I heard there was an easy way of doing it. It's an option under 'Utilities.'

User Info: treetop

treetop
8 years ago#8
most texture mods will require some form of archive invalidation

here is something to explain it:
http://devnull.sweetdanger.net/archiveinvalidation.html

DukeEdwardI
8 years ago#9

Alright, I'm starting from scratch today. Clean install of everything.

I discovered what was causing OBMM to crash on exit thankfully. The plugin file it would save to was located in a folder that was read-only AND hidden (Local Settings/Application Data/Oblivion). It was fairly obvious too, even said in the error that it couldn't write to that file. I was just so annoyed yesterday that I looked right past it.

I'm going to try using the Bsa-alteration archiveinvalidated method and see what that does. Also going to try creating an OMOD through the archive files and not the folders. Will also delete and unneccessary files from the OMOD as that does nothing but clutter it up.

Wish me luck!

User Info: treetop

treetop
8 years ago#10
okay, remember to apply official patch first before bsa alteration.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived