• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  3. Elder scrolls installation problems.

User Info: Ztratos

Ztratos
10 years ago#1

Hello.

My name is Ztratos, and I've got a problem with my 'Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion' when trying to install the game.

I recently bought Windows Vista Home edition x64 against my own will, my motherboard crashed and I got a new one.

A motherboard alot newer then the crap that crashed, så I had to buy alot of new things, and get Windows Vista.

And I'm just so irritated with all the problems Vista has to offer.

Anyway, when I'm suppose to install Elder scrolls, it works just fine, unntil i'm about 80% done with the installation, and this post comes up.

####################

Feature transfer error Feature:

Oblivion Component:

File:

Error: Catastrophic failure

####################

I just start thinking "wtf".

I've tried almost everything, starting the setup in windows xp sp2 mode.

Restarting the computer. And so on, and still get the same problem at the same spot.

I have read that some people got major issues with Vista when it comes to Oblivion, but i've also heard that some have gotten it to work.

Anyone who might have a idea of what I should or could do (Without installing windows xp back into my computer)

My computer is suppose to takle this game, it surely did when I had the wonderful Windows Xp atleast.

Here is a basic list of what I've got.

Operating System: Windows VistaTM Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)

Language: Swedish (Regional Setting: Swedish)

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.

System Model: P5N-T DELUXE BIOS:

Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 4094MB RAM Page File: 1646MB used, 6762MB available Windows Dir: C:Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10 DX

Setup Parameters: Not found DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit

Unicode Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS Manufacturer:

NVIDIA Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS I will be most grateful if anyone can grant me some help/tip/hints into what I should do. Thanks alot!

User Info: Bane_v2

Bane_v2
10 years ago#2
Oblivion installed fine for me on Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

If you have UAC enabled try installing to a different folder. Something like:

C:\Games

instead of the default

C:\Program Files

User Info: Ztratos

Ztratos
10 years ago#3
I tried, but it didn't work.
Ah. I just have to play something else, however it is a great game! Thanks for answering btw! :)

User Info: WhereAreCookies

WhereAreCookies
10 years ago#4
it sounds like your oblivion disk is scratched.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXpdJLJqG9U
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=380226

User Info: myztikrice

myztikrice
10 years ago#5
This could also be a problem with your CD/DVD drive. It amazes me how many people complain about Vista and then you find out they still have UAC enabled and aren't using an administrative account.

User Info: sinfulGrimoire

sinfulGrimoire
10 years ago#6
yeah, what the above poster said. Are you installing as an administrator? (You technically don't have to be under an adminstrative account, since you have the option to "Run as Administrator" at any time.)
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  3. Elder scrolls installation problems.
  • Topic Archived