• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Stronghold 2
  3. Knocking down ladders?

User Info: FatTony36

FatTony36
10 years ago#1
Been a while since I played this game, was thinking about reinstalling. I see these boards are inactive, but I'll ask anyway. Does anyone know of a good way of fending off the siege ladders that can so easily undermine a beautiful castle? I remember always being frustrated when the laddermen would set up ladders on the outside wall, climb up, set ladders on the inside of the wall, advance to the next wall in place, and repeat the same steps...

For every one of my pikemen that would push a ladder away from the wall quickly, it seemed there were 5-10 that decided to either climb up and down the ladders, or go to the bottom of the ladder and begin slowly hacking it to pieces, rather than pushing it away. This was really the only gripe I had with the game. Didn't mind micro-managing resources, and with trebuchets and the like, I usually couldn't get away with defending a castle with nothing but archers (Ah, good memories of Lords of the Realm 2, Royal castle with 600 archers).

User Info: Bardockpwnsjoo

Bardockpwnsjoo
9 years ago#2
Here I come to save the DAY!!!!

No, anyway..... It's really not any more doable than you've said. Try monks (The one withs the quarter-staves), I've noticed that they push more ladders than they climb down. Another way to remedy this is to build on top of a mountain. (I mostly play free build, build the largest, nicest looking castle I can, throw in lots of mazes and such and then siege it until it breaks. I make all my own maps, and I'm a HUGE fan of making it on top of a mountain.)

Another thing I suggest is placing sally ports in key places on the outer wall, with groups of crossbow men behind them. Well this tactic is effective for ambushing heavy troops such as swordsmen and knights, it's also just as effective for ambushing laddermen, bolting them into the ground before they can even set a ladder.

If you're even still checking, hope this helps.
I'll blow you away! In a minute! As soon as I remember how to do this move. I think I press R2 and then... dang.

User Info: FatTony36

FatTony36
9 years ago#3
Thanks for the input, yeah I knew I'd have to wait a while on these boards ^.^ I wish I could outright take the laddermen out of the game, they annoy me to no end when I'm defending, and they feel too cheap to use when I'm attacking, I'd much rather use the other siege weapons. I suppose I'll just have to have an intercepting force so they don't touch my castle.

User Info: Bardockpwnsjoo

Bardockpwnsjoo
9 years ago#4
The best interception team for a group of laddermen is ambushing them with Outlaws. The javalins they throw should tear them down in one hit, maybe two. If any of them survive, the Outlaws close in fast with their swords, ending them with a melee attack.

If you don't like using them, or if the laddermen are too well protected to use the somewhat weak Outlaws, a small group of mounted knights will handle them. Agian, sally ports are your friend. If you build your walls nice and thick to the point they blend in, you can completely ambush a group of any rushing attackers. Making it VERY effective for use on other players, and a good interception tactic for deploying forces from your castle quickly for single player modes such as freebuild.

Trust me, I've free-built since the original Stronghold. My castle's average for a never ending siege is twenty minutes before it falls. Balista's are useful as well. Although in Stronghold 2 they've been nerfed, the knockback makes it VERY effective. Aimed well into the middle of a group, the large bolt can knock ten men at a time. You could knock the rushing laddermen down, giving your team time to close distance and take them out.
L1, L2, L2, Up, Down, Down, Up, R1, R2, R2 - Use for N.O.E.
  1. Boards
  2. Stronghold 2
  3. Knocking down ladders?
  • Topic Archived