You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
1) How do you keep your guys on the walls??? Soldiers that I put up there always tend to want to climb down enemy ladders instead of tipping them over like they should. I've lost some east siege battles this way.
2) How do you counteract catapults and trebuchets? These always seem to pwn my castles and I'm wondering if there's a way to deal with them besides having burning logs every 3 feet?
3) Why are wooden walls useless in this game? How is it that infantry can cut them down like tall grass? Can this be fixed?
1. When you select your soldiers, tell them to hold their ground. They are usually in a defensive stance, which means when one is attacked, the ones in that area go after the attacker.
2. There really is no full-proof way to stop these things, but try placing your walls farther back into your territory, if possible, then place pitch by the border. Also, place the burning lamps (can't remember real name) so your archers can light the pitch on fire when the catapults enter- you don't need pitch in every spot, but randomly placed so everything doesn't burn at once and you have more shots if needed. Another way is using ballistas to stop them. Now, trebuchets are different, try having a force of cavalry outside your territory that can attack these things, but keep them away from battles- tell them to hold their ground to. Or, try placing lookout towers, which give your archers the greatest range. Or try using burning carts and send them after the thing, but they are weak and will probably be shot by the mass of archers the enemy has, which might also cause your pitch, if you placed any, to catch on fire.
3. Yes, wooden walls are fairly useless if used outright. I like to put them behind a single wall of stone, with my main fortifications following the wood wall. They slow down the enemy, especially since they usually use all of their ladders to take out the single stone wall and their catapults also focus on the stone wall. So, they can be useful, in certain circumstances.
Playing: Stronghold 2 (PC), Oblivion GOTY (360). "Beasts only bare their fangs at enemies, they're true to their feelings."