• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble!
  3. Such a horrible, horrible, game.

User Info: Sandor_Clause

Sandor_Clause
10 years ago#1
Started playing this game again. Thankfully, I didn't have very high expectations after my first playthrough years ago. The game is so horribly bad in every way.

The graphics are crap. They tried to emulate the style the other games had, but DS simply can't handle it. Everything is grainy and ugly, and there are a bunch of 2D objects that really stand out as the rest of the game is 3D.

The new powers suck. Hard. Every single one of them was shoehorned in to make use of the touch screen, without consideration if they would be good or not. Scratch is clumsy, weak, refuses to work sometimes, and leaves you vulnerable. The Zoom substitute gives you the ability to zoom in on specific objects, again so they can shoehorn touch screen controls into the game. The command to activate it requires you to use the touch screen, of course, and is very easy to mess up since half the time you have to use it is in battle. And then you even have to do the same command to turn it off, so that you can see what's going on and stop wasting VFX. You can't even choose which damn target you want to zoom in on; during the fight with the tank boss, the game always zooms in on the boss no matter how far away it is, when you want to break the box in the background.

Split is actually a cool power ruined by horrible execution. Again, it forces touch screen bull**** on you, and is extremely easy to mess up in the middle of a fight. The background is so cluttered and dark that it's often difficult to tell just where the hell you'll end up when you end the power. Like the other powers, it's clumsy and buggy, too. During the Robocop-copy boss, you can use it to flood the area. But it's completely random when it chooses to work. I tried to hold the pipe next to the boss, with and without Slow active, and in the middle of the room, with and without Slow active. It felt completely random when it chose to flood the room.

The bosses are horrible and full of fake difficulty. Just about all of them that fire bullets fire more than one in a row, which is completely ridiculous when it's essentially impossible to hit back more than one bullet at a time, either because Joe's attacks are too slow or because your VFX runs out. The openings to use specific powers on them seem to be entirely random in length, but they're generally way too short. They have a habit of using instant attacks without telegraphing them, like the tank's arm wave when it's walking.

The environmental hazards' hitboxes are GIGANTIC and often hit you when you're standing one full Joe-length away from them.

The screen is too small, there's an annoying lag between Joe's attacks sometimes, Joe's punch reach is extremely short for some reason (which makes reflecting bullets much harder), the VFX runs out way too fast, especially when using Scratch or the new Zoom, even more so since you're pretty much forced to use them together with Slow if you're in battle, there is a major lack of interesting moves to use and the ones that exist require use of the bad powers in the middle of battle, and then entire game is bad, bad, BAD.

I've beaten Super V-Rated in VJ on GC. I ragequit after the tank in this game because of how horribly bad it is.

The one single good thing about the game is that the bosses are kind of cool as characters, being parodies.
  1. Boards
  2. Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble!
  3. Such a horrible, horrible, game.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A