• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. New Super Mario Bros.
  3. New Super Mario Bros. Marathon

User Info: MarioMan847

MarioMan847
6 years ago#21
Finally beat New Super Mario Bros. Wii, 5 Shiny Stars!

New Super Mario Bros. 2 starts tomorrow (or today.... going by eastern time, lol)

Keep in mind that the main reason I'm doing this is to see why there's so much controversy going around these NSMB games. Why they're viewed as "uninspired rehashes"

So far, you all have been horribly wrong. But I need to play NSMB2 and U before coming to complete conclusions.
Video games are awesome.

User Info: CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47
6 years ago#22
People say that because they don't differentiate themselves enough from one another, and while they do differentiate themselves from the classics (for better or for worse) the changes between each game are, for many fans, not enough to warrant having another game. New Super Mario Bros Wii and DS are extremely similar in structure and design, while the levels themselves and the raw gameplay was refined a bit in Wii, the game felt like it lacked the originality the DS game had when it came out (Remember that this was the first 2D Mario game since Super Mario World) I guess you could say, New Super Mario Bros. Sequels suffer from Super Mario Bros. 2 Japan (The Lost Levels) Syndrome to some extent.

For comparison, the 4 major classics (assuming you lived in the US) were all very different from one another. Super Mario Bros. essentially reinvented the platformer, Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) took some of the ideas from the original, and added its own ideas to the mix, Super Mario Bros. 3 refined the revolutionary original by adding a unique world map system, basic ideas like power up reserves, many more power-ups, fully functional screen scrolling, and many other original ideas. World had unique environments, new level concepts, Yoshi, and a few other refinements.

New Super Mario Bros. well, they are almost all the same (Except maybe NSMBU, which seems a lot better in that department) except they add a new power up, take out a few, change up the level designs, and add some new gimmicks.

This marathon won't really say anything about this so-called "Conspiracy" you keep referring to.

MarioMan847 posted...
But yeah, the more I play these NSMB games the more I disagree with the general public on the whole New Super Mario Bros. conspiracy. They're just genuinely fun, well designed games. Innovation really isn't all that counts in every situation.

Your right, innovation isn't what always counts, but you don't need to do something innovative to do something new. Something like a level editor with an online level archive isn't a new idea, but it would indefinitely be fresh to the New Super Mario Bros. series, and would undoubtedly be a welcome addition. Change the themes of the worlds for once, add online play, let player one be someone other than Mario, any of these things would be easy ways to change up the series.
Join My Nintendo Clan! http://tinyurl.com/nintyzone 3DS: 5026-4841-9381
(>-'.'-)> Cookie?

CheatFreak47
6 years ago#23
But, like I said, NSMBU seems to be a lot better then Wii and 2 in that department, so that's a step in the right direction, I suppose.
(>-'.'-)> Cookie?

MarioMan847
6 years ago#24
New goal: I'm gonna try to finish New Super Mario Bros. 2 and New Super Mario Bros. U over the weekend.

If I fail, I'll go back on schedule.
Video games are awesome.

MarioMan847
6 years ago#25
CheatFreak47 posted...
Sequels suffer from Super Mario Bros. 2 Japan (The Lost Levels) Syndrome to some extent.

Don't even say that, Lost Levels was so unbalanced and broken that they had to limit it's release in other countries.
Video games are awesome.

MarioMan847
6 years ago#26
CheatFreak47 posted...
For comparison, the 4 major classics (assuming you lived in the US) were all very different from one another. Super Mario Bros. essentially reinvented the platformer, Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) took some of the ideas from the original, and added its own ideas to the mix, Super Mario Bros. 3 refined the revolutionary original by adding a unique world map system, basic ideas like power up reserves, many more power-ups, fully functional screen scrolling, and many other original ideas. World had unique environments, new level concepts, Yoshi, and a few other refinements.

Super Mario Bros. is more original than any other Mario game, being the first in the series. Doki Doki Panic isn't a Mario game, if you know what I mean. And even though SMB3 and SMW added loads of new nifty features to the Mario Universe, the same core concept of kicking koopa shells and jumping under question blocks never changed. They merely expanded the experience, they didn't change it.

And believe it or not, that's exactly what every New Super Mario Bros. game does. They offer the same core experience with more features each time.

This marathon won't really say anything about this so-called "Conspiracy" you keep referring to.

Oh trust me, it will.
Video games are awesome.

MarioMan847
6 years ago#27
Your right, innovation isn't what always counts, but you don't need to do something innovative to do something new. Something like a level editor with an online level archive isn't a new idea, but it would indefinitely be fresh to the New Super Mario Bros. series, and would undoubtedly be a welcome addition. Change the themes of the worlds for once, add online play, let player one be someone other than Mario, any of these things would be easy ways to change up the series.

Have a PS3? If you don't, go buy one and get Little Big Planet, because that's exactly what you just described.

Different franchises, different features, my friend.
Video games are awesome.

CheatFreak47
6 years ago#28
Little Big Planet wasn't the first game to do that, besides, If I wanted Little Big Planet, I'd play it. Let me just say I love the New Super Mario Bros games, all of them are amazing video games. I'm just saying I understand why people see them to be uninspired, and they are right to an extent. The thing is, these were the first games in the Mario series to lack that freshness Nintendo had accustomed us to over the course of the series prior. That's the whole reason behind this. People feel that if Nintendo isn't doing anything new with their most diverse and popular game series, that they will continue this trend, which is bad for the fans, and every new Mario game since New Super Mario Bros. Wii has reflected this. There is only so much that can be done with 2D platforming, you know? Even as you've said, Super Mario 3D Land was just a blend of elements from the 2D series with elements of the 3D series. It, at the very least, was a breath of fresh air to long time Mario fans. Also, about the SMB2TheLostLevels Syndome thing. What I meant by that was how little SMBTLL change from the first Mario game. All they did was add backward warpzones, harder enemies, a wind mechanic, a poisen mushroom, and cranked up the difficulty a whole lot.
(>-'.'-)> Cookie?

MarioMan847
6 years ago#29
CheatFreak47 posted...
People feel that if Nintendo isn't doing anything new with their most diverse and popular game series, that they will continue this trend, which is bad for the fans, and every new Mario game since New Super Mario Bros. Wii has reflected this.

False. Nintendo has done something new with every Mario game since the series began. Some to a higher extent, some to a lesser extent. The quality and originality of the series hasn't dropped at all, and it probably won't drop for a long time.
Video games are awesome.

MarioMan847
6 years ago#30
Golden Blocks, Golden Flowers, Golden Rings, Golden Goombas, I'm enjoying myself. ^_^
Video games are awesome.
  1. Boards
  2. New Super Mario Bros.
  3. New Super Mario Bros. Marathon
  • Topic Archived