• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: PenguinBiscuit

PenguinBiscuit
11 years ago#1
I am very into the speed runs of all the other mario games. I have made attmepts and records to date which have not been defeated, and I am currently trying to video level-by-level records and attempts.

My rules are simple:
* I ALWAYS start my levels on regular-sized Mario (ie no power-up mushrooms/shell) and with any optional click-power-up that I choose. (I have yet to find a level where this rule would be impossible to make it possible to complete the level)
* I only record videos which have clearly been run in high quality and show little room for improvement.

I was wondering if anyone else on GameFAQs has attempted any speed runs on this game yet. and/or if anybody can link me to a site with New Super Mario Bros. runs for improvement with my own runs.
^^

User Info: MobiusPoint

MobiusPoint
11 years ago#2
I haven't read through it, so I have no idea what I'm actually linking to. It may or may not have any useful information.
http://speeddemosarchive.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=consoles_newer;action=display;num=1147537913

User Info: greenpickle

greenpickle
11 years ago#3
If you're doing level-only runs, SDA won't be of much use, but there are a few people with many videos on YouTube for the levels that are near-perfect. I remember KommadorT as being one, others I can't. Quite a number of the easier levels are relatively easy to perfect if you can get the stairs at the end right.

Also, are you aiming to optimise in-game time or real time? Because the pipe in 1-1 would minimise game time but going overground would minimise real time.
My brother told me that he was going to 'cack' into my documents. I really hope he meant 'hack'.
Pikipedia: pikmin.wikia.com

PenguinBiscuit
11 years ago#4
I am aiming for minimal real-time. Anybody who uses in-game time is half-cheating themselves. I have mastered practically all of World 1 levels except for the tower and castle which I am doing last.

Since the use of Tool-Assist programs is not yet available on the Nintendo DS, it is very difficult to make a full-game run, so after perfecting all of world 1's levels, coins and exits, I will try out for a singel-segment world run.

Eventually I hope to master this game (also with a lot of help and advice from users and maps which i will have to draw up) and do a single-segment full game run without side-tracking for coins or exits, but just to perfect the run with least-time from 1-1 to 8-C.
^^

greenpickle
11 years ago#5
I would say that for a game like NSMB, it's better to memorise level-layouts than draw maps. In the case of a full-game speedrun, you can look at chronorox's YouTube one, which he intended to submit to SDA but it was rejected due to the video quality. The time's 23:55 and uses cannons.

(3 parts)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsMjjP__adI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mcO2IyvpFQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tlEq3AhpdI
My brother told me that he was going to 'cack' into my documents. I really hope he meant 'hack'.
Pikipedia: pikmin.wikia.com

PenguinBiscuit
11 years ago#6
Writing down tactics will take MUCH less time than memorizing every single level. During every break that I get, I look down at my piece of paper to see my route.

Just a quick thought, I believe that I could surpass 23 minutes with use of cannons. I will need to train myself up a bit. Mostly on some of the level's steps at the end.
^^

User Info: kommadorT

kommadorT
11 years ago#7
Hey guys.Check out my vids on YouTube.
I'll let you punch me for a buck .
MPH FC - 4553-4399-0881 MasterT

greenpickle
11 years ago#8
Too late, I already recommended that. Oh, I remember the other guy now: StuckInAPlate.
picklewiki.i67.org
  • Topic Archived