• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Okami
  3. Just started playing, but one thing irks me: Ammy's gender...

User Info: PChapin

PChapin
10 years ago#1
I haven't played very far into this game, but I read the manual and the sticky that both say the developers intended Ammy to be genderless. I find this... really irksome, for some reason. I just can't connect with a genderless character the way I could if she had a gender. They removed a layer of humanity and made her closer to a thing. And the developers worked really hard to achieve this, too—I've noticed several bits of dialog that sound like they were straining to avoid pronouns and such. Why would they do this? What does the experience gain that's worth the sacrifice in character? I know it seems like I'm 'waah'ing a bit, but this is the only reason I'm not having a blast with this game—otherwise, it's a really good game.
I like my brain more than them. They can have mercy when they can spell it. -Touphi

User Info: Mookiethebold

Mookiethebold
10 years ago#2
Basically, Ammy the Goddess is female, but when she was "reborn" by Sakuya at the start of the game, she was reborn into a statue, which was genderless since it was just a statue. A few characters do refer to her as a maiden throughout the game, so maybe that will make you feel a little more connected?

It's funny though - most people can't identify with Ammy because she's a wolf, not because she's genderless. =p
your number is one

User Info: Masato_Hyuga

Masato_Hyuga
10 years ago#3
If it really bugs you just think of her as a female....
Okami>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Every other video game
# of people who agree: 52

PChapin
10 years ago#4
It's funny though - most people can't identify with Ammy because she's a wolf, not because she's genderless. =p

You know, I never would have though that. :P

If it really bugs you just think of her as a female....

Heh, easy enough to say that... ;)

I try to "just think of her as female," but then you have things like calling her "mother" in one scene and "brother" in the next, while simultaneously never seeing the word "her" in dialog... it's all very off-putting. Like they couldn't decide, so they just toed the line... I guess one thing is that I'm curious as to why the developers went to all this trouble, when making her female is the better choice in every way I see it. Even if she arrived by possessing a statue, any reason she couldn't mold the statue to her image, especially since she appears as a normal wolf to humans and therefore shouldn't appear genderless?
I like my brain more than them. They can have mercy when they can spell it. -Touphi

User Info: CryBaby51

CryBaby51
10 years ago#5
Well, there is a practical reason for not identifying Ammy as one gender or the other: each player needs to see the character as a reflection of themselves.

What makes sense to me is to think of Ammy as both genders, rather than the negative one of having no gender. She incorporates many different (and possibly opposite) aspects. The nurturer: restoring nature, feeding the animals, helping the humans, reuniting the brush gods. Also the warrior: punishing the evildoers. She and Susano fight together, so they become "brothers in arms". People see in her what they need to see.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it (but I was just over in the "Shadow of the Colossus" board!).
Regards, Lisa Murphy
Feed your head.

User Info: Abidon

Abidon
10 years ago#6
in the original legends, ammy was female and also was the brother of Susano. Essentially the wolf is a sun god, and for the most part they call her a female though occasionally they'll call her a male since old japanese myths seamed to have messed up one her gender too.

In general, it's safe to say that Ammy is a female or genderless for being in a statue, though at one point a man mentions seeing into her inner form where she is apparently a beautiful maiden.

User Info: Elrick75

Elrick75
10 years ago#7
I always have and always will think of her as a female.

Just think of this as her true form and you'll be all good:

http://media.animewallpapers.com/game/okami/okami_1_640.jpg?m=1210720887
(O,o) ORLY?
/)__)

User Info: Gwendal

Gwendal
10 years ago#8
I agree very, very much with the TC. I`ve never understood why they couldn`t just have made her female, like the "real" Amaterasu. Why bother to base your main character on a real-life goddess if you`re going to strip away one of her defining characteristics? Yes, I know they changed Susano-O even more drastically, but it still annoys me. The TC basically summed up everything I`ve thought about this, so I don`t really have more to add. Well said. :)
"When you have given everything, then you have everything to gain."

PChapin
10 years ago#9
I played a bit more and saw the "fair maiden" scene. It was nice, but honestly not that reassuring when she's been called "mother" half a dozen times and I'm told it means nothing.

Well, there is a practical reason for not identifying Ammy as one gender or the other: each player needs to see the character as a reflection of themselves.

Oh? I must just be an unlucky person, because for me it did just the opposite :(

Like I said before, making her genderless is like stripping away a layer of humanity. It feels like she's not even a person anymore, just an object--which is about as far from "a reflection of myself" as you can get. Some characters reflect the player because they allow the player to choose their name--some even their gender. But if you try to go halfway and include characteristics of both genders and say, "Well, she's both, you see," and also including a nice line in the manual that says "by the way, she's genderless," you'll only confuse people, and the result won't be much better than if you had given her no gender. If anything, her warrior qualities would stand out more if we knew she was female, because it's going against a stereotype and also fuller development of a female character--if she's naturally caring and nurturing, but also protective and aggressive when she needs to be. It's just not the same if you say "Oh, well that part of her's male."

I'm still curious about the people who see her as a normal wolf. What gender is this form? From this topic, it seems genderless because it's just a statue that's been possessed. But if that's how she appears, she wouldn't look much like a normal wolf at all--even if most people can't tell the difference, odds are someone would notice. So doesn't it make sense for her new form to assume her gender, if only in order to look more like a "normal" wolf? If that were the case, I could accept a few "he's" from people who obviously just don't know better (like those sparrows ;)), but the main thing is, if she's a girl, I want her to see her treated as such--and at least use the word "her" more than one time in the entire game.

*Sigh* Maybe I'll never be satisfied... It's a real shame I had to have my experience with this game spoiled by something like this :( But I didn't choose to see it this way--it's just the way I am.

http://media.animewallpapers.com/game/okami/okami_1_640.jpg?m=1210720887

Nice picture, but this topic is (mostly) about ingame ;) Still, thanks for showing me.

User Info: pilesar

pilesar
10 years ago#10
I'm not offended by the gender issue at all. I AM amused that she/he/it has a butt-hole though:)
  1. Boards
  2. Okami
  3. Just started playing, but one thing irks me: Ammy's gender...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers