Final Fantasy II - Retrospective and Review

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls
  3. Final Fantasy II - Retrospective and Review

User Info: Xygor

Xygor
2 months ago#1
I recently put together a retrospective and review of this game that analyzes the game's story, characters, graphics, and soundtrack. I also include a few criticisms.

Main criticisms:
1) The game thrusts you into so many random encounters. The encounter rate could have been tweaked a bit while still not leaving the player in a difficult position.
2) The characters have backstories that are fleshed out, but the main protagonists are not really explored very much. This is probably a remnant of the time, but I think this could have been improved a bit.

What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGLGnvcS3tI
My youtube channel for game content and reviews:
http://www.youtube.com/c/xygor

User Info: Felazan

Felazan
1 month ago#2
I really want to like FF2, the game has some good points:

- Innovative leveling system;
- Big dungeons to explore;
- A somewhat open world, you can go to some end game areas before fighting the first boss;
- Getting later spells as drops from enemies that can be challenged early on;
- Much better story than the other 2 NES FF (or any NES JRPG);

But it has so many flaws:

- Insane encounter rate;
- Those god damn fake doors in dungeons;
- The Dawn of souls version is piss easy while the NES version is riddled with bugs and other annoyances;
- I'm fine with most of the leveling system but grinding each spell as it's own rather than a school is pure BS;

It feels like with FF2 they tried to go more hardcore
/complex than FF1 saw it didn't work out and started streamlining /making each followup game easier. I kind of wish they attempted this again.

User Info: Xygor

Xygor
1 month ago#3
Felazan posted...
I really want to like FF2, the game has some good points:

- Innovative leveling system;
- Big dungeons to explore;
- A somewhat open world, you can go to some end game areas before fighting the first boss;
- Getting later spells as drops from enemies that can be challenged early on;
- Much better story than the other 2 NES FF (or any NES JRPG);

But it has so many flaws:

- Insane encounter rate;
- Those god damn fake doors in dungeons;
- The Dawn of souls version is piss easy while the NES version is riddled with bugs and other annoyances;
- I'm fine with most of the leveling system but grinding each spell as it's own rather than a school is pure BS;

It feels like with FF2 they tried to go more hardcore
/complex than FF1 saw it didn't work out and started streamlining /making each followup game easier. I kind of wish they attempted this again.

Haha, yep, the fake doors just keeps coming up over and over from people playing this game. I also agree when it comes to the story - I do think it was better than the other two in that regard.
My youtube channel for game content and reviews:
http://www.youtube.com/c/xygor

User Info: silktail

silktail
1 month ago#4
I'm not sure about the "insane encounter rate" comments it getting. Because it should have roughly the same encounter rate as FF1...

But then I have heard people complain about the rates in the FF1 remakes, so maybe not.

(Obviously the encounter rate is high behind those fake door traps, so we can't count those!)
---
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls
  3. Final Fantasy II - Retrospective and Review

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived