Level 11 class change (Spoilers)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls
  3. Level 11 class change (Spoilers)

User Info: chaoyun2k

chaoyun2k
8 months ago#1
@Rei_Mugen your question inspired me to try a game. To answer your question, although you may already have your answer, your next place to visit is Crescent Lake which is a town to the south and east of Melmond. WOW your levels are very high for that part of the game...it should be very easy for you if you follow the story now.

So, inspired to try this again, I decided to try the level 11 class change. First off I had forgotten how many enemies could poison you and how irritating that was - especially when fleeing all the battles you could.

After facing the Vampire to get the Star Ruby I was level 8 and realized that I could go back to Elfheim for the level 3 spells for White mage or Black mage. Oh, my party is Warrior, Thief, Red Mage, White Mage. I recalled that the Heal spell wasn't usually a good thing to have because you get a heal staff that does that for free fairly early in the game. But after several trips back into the Cavern of Earth to unsuccessfully face the Lich I decided that I REALLY needed a White Curtain item. I could get Nulblaze and Nulthunder (didn't check the names), but the first spell was usually a Blizzard spell that basically wiped out the party.

So time to try the ship game. With a little practice that worked, but apparently the White Curtain isn't going to be the first prize. Short version, it took about 10 tile games to get the White Curtain. So a few more trips into the Cavern of Earth to face the boss that often goes first and often casts that Blizzard spell before I could use the White Curtain. But finally (so tired of these 5 floors) I got to use the curtain before he (or is it she) cast the spell. Two or three tempr spells from the Red Mage and a few Heal spells (SO GLAD I got that this time) and the boss is defeated! Of course that caused a level up, but my characters got pitiful numbers (2, 3, and 5 HP) and only two characters got a stat increase?! Argh.

Shut off the game to decide whether to make the attempt again or accept the pitiful level up.

More to follow later.
Some are wise, some are otherwise, and I have my moments.

chaoyun2k
8 months ago#2
The thought of going through the Cavern of Earth again won over the pitiful level up and I proceeded to Crescent Lake for the item you get there.

Getting to the Ice cave was surprisingly easy, so I save outside the entrance. Oh man, my second rant, those Piscodemons keep showing up. Four of them as the first battle basically wipe out the party - they hit hard and seem to be one of the hardest enemies to run from. After several attempts I make it to the lower floors, even get 1 White Dragon in the fixed battle and get through to the boss. That only took two rounds using the things I got from the chests in the caves. Maybe I should have played the tile game a little longer for an Emergency Exit. While leaving I run into what else 4 Piscodemons! I still hate the prevalence of poison, but those Piscos are a pain. But I finally make it out of the caves and a couple of white alligators wipe me out. Fortunately I had saved just outside of the caves, so reload and proceed to the next area near Crescent Lake for yet another form of transportation.

The Trials was nothing compared to the Cavern of Earth or the Ice Caves. So with the help of the Faq and a little bit of 'oh yeah' I made it through and class changed at level 11.

Time to return to the Cavern of Earth to trash some of those annoying enemies and pick up the treasures I didn't get before. Hopefully after all of that I will get some descent level ups as Knight, Ninja, Red Wizard, and White Wizard.

chaoyun2k
8 months ago#3
Fighting the enemies is more my style in these games. It is especially rewarding to beat up on those Discodemons (since they are no longer 'staying alive'). The first couple of level ups occur pretty soon after fighting regular encounters and they seem better than the previous level ups.

I guess I'll return to the Ice Cave since I didn't bother with the chest that had the 'Cloth' armor before. Seems a waste, but I plan to get all of the chests.

Afterwards it will basically be a normal game, so I don't suppose there will be any reason to update this. If there are any questions or comments before this archives then I will respond, but otherwise I'll leave it with these posts.

I would like the thank blacksniper for his faq. I think the only thing that might have helped was that parties with white mages can benefit by getting level 3 magic after the first trip into the Earth Cave (Cavern of Earth). I didn't think about it until after I re-entered the first time. That's just a small thing and the FAQ was very helpful. Good luck to others going for the level 11 class change.

User Info: Big_Nabendu

Big_Nabendu
7 months ago#4
Im lost in the ice cavern. Keep falling down the crack/holes. Level 36. Think I'm over leveled. Ah oh well
The embrace of the Dark is gentle. Let it absorb your sorrows, forever.
\[T]/ Owner of the 500 board and Leader of sunbro board GT Nabendu

Big_Nabendu
7 months ago#5
Holy crap
Im level 43 and just got the class change. My knight and ninja are just learning mp. Feel like I over leveled way too much
@chaoyun2k
Wat do you think cuz?

chaoyun2k
7 months ago#6
@Big_Nabendu
Well, at level 11 I was running from everything and had to reset a number of times because I wasn't able to run. The odd thing is that when I recently played the NES version I wasn't a lot higher when I reached the Ice Cavern. My class change was at about level 20 in that game. I don't usually run from anything in these games, so that was different.

As for level 43 and getting the class change, that is okay if you are enjoying the game. I can see how you would have levels like that in this game. I gained a lot of levels when I went back to the Marsh Cave and then back to the Earth Cave. I was over level 20 just from that, and I still hadn't gone back to the Ice Cavern. I guess my level ups did seem better after the class change, but it was a real pain getting it at those levels.

You could probably get the class change sooner, but I don't think it is necessary or even that helpful (it was just something I hadn't done and it sounded interesting for a few days when I didn't have anything better to do). I just got to the Mirage Tower and I'm at about the same levels as you. I cleared the Earthgift Shrine and the Hellfire Chasm, but I didn't get all of the possible prizes in Hellfire. I haven't checked out the other new dungeon yet.

The main thing is to enjoy!

chaoyun2k
7 months ago#7
Maybe a stat comparison would help. What party members do you have?

Here is my party's stats at level 48 (after Tiamat):

Max HP/MP - Str,Agi,Int,Sta,Lck
Knight - 901/213 - 40,33,13,37,29
Ninja - 563/236 - 41,39,17,24,43
Red Wiz - 656/499 - 22,26,32,21,21
White Wiz - 658/617 - 22,19,36,24,20

The Ninja keeps getting weak increases of 4 HP and 5 MP. I think that has been the last 6 level ups.

What are your player's stats?

Big_Nabendu
7 months ago#8
https://imgur.com/05nxesG

https://imgur.com/7D0ygiG

https://imgur.com/ehH14JC

https://imgur.com/OlZPFHR

chaoyun2k
7 months ago#9
Except for the Ninja, those stats don't look THAT much different. I do have some better equipment, but you will probably get that soon enough.

Good luck and Enjoy!

Big_Nabendu
7 months ago#10
Why is your ninja so much better than mine?
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls
  3. Level 11 class change (Spoilers)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived