• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tomb Raider: Legend
  3. Wanting the PSP version...

User Info: ljypaco

ljypaco
8 years ago#1
Is there any BIG reason to get this over the PSP version?
How big a difference is there graphics and control wise?
Thanks!
PSN: tjlyk (PS3 is running loud.... Suggestions?)
KnightsofWii, ljypaco, thekeylessdoor, JimJams72 - We are T.A.P.

User Info: JoveHack

JoveHack
8 years ago#2
I didn't even know there was a PSP version. Since the PSP is based on the PS1 I figured the hardware couldn't handle it. Figured they do something like the sidescrolling version they did on the DS.

Turns out it's an actual port. Graphics aren't as good, but the gameplay's essentially the same.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/psp/tomb-raider-legend

Turns out there's some extras on the PSP version. Something called "Tomb Trials", which are somehow multiplayer. Youtube has videos, so I can tell they're different from anything on the PS2.

That's the good news. The bad news is that there seems to be some kind of problem with the controls. You can see it in some of the review quotes here.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/psp/tomb-raider-legend/critic-reviews

If you really want it a portable version of the game, I'd say go for the PSP version. I don't think you'll go too badly wrong.

After that it might be worth getting the PS2 version anyway. It should be cheap enough, and with an HDTV its widescreen support looks really good. The excellent soundtrack will benefit from a good set of speakers (or headphones).

Good luck. Let us know how it goes, particularly if you get the PSP version. I'm curious about the Tomb Trials.
Jove the Sleep Depraved. Primal Wiki: http://primal.wikia.com

ljypaco
8 years ago#3
Thanks, the main reason I was wondering is because I could download the PSP version for like 13 bucks right now....
And I didn't know it had widescreen support, does it run in 480p?
I have PS2 component cables.
Thanks again!

User Info: JoveHack

JoveHack
8 years ago#4
ljypaco posted on 10/31/2010 at 7:45 PM "Thanks, the main reason I was wondering is because I could download the PSP version for like 13 bucks right now...."

That's about what you'd pay for the PS2 version as well. Getting them both might not be a bad idea. I suspect they'll look and feel different enough to seem like different games. Add the portability and extra content and the handheld version seems reasonable.

ljypaco finished, "And I didn't know it had widescreen support, does it run in 480p? I have PS2 component cables."

480p and widescreen. It's one of my best-looking games. The models and lighting are excellent. (I love having an in-game flashlight.) The music is great as well, as I mentioned previously. If money's at all tight, this is the version to get. With component cables, widescreen, and 480p it's a great visual experience. Get some decent speakers and it's better than any movie.

Congrats on the component cables. Mine are the best gaming investment I've ever made. The improved video made is seem like I'd gotten all new games with improved graphics.

ljypaco finished, "Thanks again!"

Glad to help, especially someone with real interest and enthusiasm.

You may want to think about getting the sequel, Tomb Raider: Anniversary. Be prepared for some dodgy gameplay. The graphics don't look as good, either, but they're acceptable with component cables.

Jove the Sleep Depraved. Primal Wiki: http://primal.wikia.com

ljypaco
8 years ago#5
Thanks again for everything, I'll let you know if I get either of them!

User Info: Pfloydguy2

Pfloydguy2
8 years ago#6
I strongly recommend against the PSP version of Legend. I bought it after I fell in love with the PS2 version, because I wanted a portable version to take with me, but I was sorely disappointed. The controls are just awful on the PSP, and the framerate suffers too. It's really sad, because the PSP version of Anniversary is very well done and quite playable.

I suffered through PSP Legend up until the Kazakstan level and gave up. Definitely go with the PS2 version, especially since you have component cables. It looks beautiful for a PS2 game, and plays pretty well.

ljypaco
8 years ago#7
I heard it was a little clunky...
But does anything else suffer?
How much worse are the graphics?

User Info: Pfloydguy2

Pfloydguy2
8 years ago#8
The graphics on the PSP version are pretty good. They must have been among the nicest on the PSP when they came out. Visually, the only problem I have with the PSP version is the framerate.

But it's the camera controls that make it clunky. You have to hold down the square button to rotate the camera, but square is also used as an action button (Jump maybe?...I can't remember.). One of the problems with that is that the game doesn't register that you're holding the button down right away, as opposed to just tapping the button. So you might be running along and you want to adjust the camera, and you hold down square and move the analog stick. The game won't realize you're trying to move the camera, and it'll make you move for half a second in whatever direction you were trying to move the camera. Not good if you were standing next to a big drop.

Another problem is that there's only one analog stick, so you can't adjust the camera while you're moving. Tomb Raider Anniversary solved this problem by mapping the horizontal camera controls to the shoulder buttons. You can shift the camera sideways while moving, if you need to, and you absolutely will need to. But in Legend, the gameplay is pretty broken up compared to the PS2 and Xbox versions, because you have to continually stop moving to adjust the camera. Sometimes this really hurts the gameplay because keeping your momentum up is a key part of navigating certain areas of the game.

So that's it, in a nutshell. PSP Legend is technically playable, but it's so frustrating due to the poor port quality that you're much better off going with a console version. Pick up Anniversary if you really need to play on the go.

ljypaco
8 years ago#9
Alright, my PS2 still works great anyway. Aside from being loud.
If I get it it will probably be on the PS2.
Thanks!

User Info: illusion8492

illusion8492
8 years ago#10
but is the story exactly the same as the ps2, xbox and everything like that for the psp? because i actually got myself interested into the psp version since my ps2 blew up. so now that i dont have a ps2 anymore, im hoping that this game and also anniversary is the exact same for the psp version? so thats all im wondering. Anybody know please?
Playstation Network - illusion8492
Playstation Network - newxrebelxgodesx
  1. Boards
  2. Tomb Raider: Legend
  3. Wanting the PSP version...
  • Topic Archived