• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  3. Game Informer's Reasoning Behind 6.75 grade Public Opinion

User Info: Jiryn

Jiryn
9 years ago#1
"GI-Jeremy wrote:

Lisa and I both knew that our Paper Mario scores were going to cause controversy. Yes, we know that many people out there will love it. We also know that it is a well-made game. However, it also WILL NOT appeal to many people - I would safely say that more people will dislike it than like it. Why? Like we said in the review, it's a very kiddie game - it's target audience is clearly young gamers - I would say 10 and under. For that reason, we had to score it low. Remember, we aren't scoring games strictly on our personal opinions, we're also scoring them based on how much we think THE GAMING PUBLIC will like them. We've all played games that we personally disliked and scored them well because we've known that most people will like them, and we've also scored games low that we love, because most people won't enjoy them.

FOr example, I really like the bizarre frog golf game Ribbit King, and I gave it a 7, because it's just not for everyone. Paper Mario 2 also scored low because it's just not for everyone. If you think it's a 10 in your book, it's a ten in your book, and that doesn't change if we disagree. We're here to guide you on what games to pick up, but ultimately your personal opinion is what will make you buy a game or not.

I hope this helps."

his retraction.....a form letter e-mail sent to people who complained

"Yeah, GI actually replied back to my letter, here goes.

John,

Thanks for writing. There has been a lot said about the post I made in
our forums, most of which, like your letter, is completely fair and
valid. In a fit of irritation, I posted said message without really
thinking about it, and have lived to regret it. Everyone here scores
games based on their personal opinions, not based on what we think the
public wants to hear. If we scored based on what people wanted to hear,
Paper Mario 2 would have gotten a much higher score, like a 9 or a 10.
But that's not how we do things. What I meant in my message on our
forums is that I thought the majority of gamers would feel like I did
about Paper Mario 2 – disappointment once they got their hands on it. I
didn't mean to imply that I thought about how the public would perceive
a title when scoring it, I just meant that I thought those who agreed
with my score would outnumber those vocal opponents of my score.

I'm sorry to hear that this incident has caused you to distrust the
magazine in any way. You shouldn't. Everyone here is honest and up
front about their opinions, and scores games accordingly. You can feel
free to distrust me if you want (although I think I am being quite
honest with you in admitting that I publicly screwed up), but don't let
it spoil your opinion of everyone else here, the work they do, or the
publication that we put out.

Thank you,

Jeremy Zoss
Associate Editor
Game Informer Magazine
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.

User Info: JPKilla

JPKilla
9 years ago#2
ITT: A tactful magazine editor responds to criticism rationally and appropriately.

Kudos to Jeremy Zoss.
The universe may be as great as they say. But it wouldn't be missed if it didn't exist.

User Info: Flamingcow99

Flamingcow99
9 years ago#3
Wait, there was reasoning behind it?
o.o
3DS FC :Out of order (E(:{)) VS. <('-'<) Who will win?Mario:2 Kirby:8
Official Omega Chef and Lawyer of the NDF

User Info: NextGen_TB

NextGen_TB
9 years ago#4
JPKilla posted...
ITT: A tactful magazine editor responds to criticism rationally and appropriately.

Kudos to Jeremy Zoss.

I'm going to assume A) You didn't read it, B) You're sarcastic, or C) You don't understand the key points of this response.

I'll let you choose, it'll be easier that way.
It's better than logic, it's Nintendo Logic!

User Info: LightningYoshi

LightningYoshi
9 years ago#5
You forgot D.

He actually wants to send Kudos to Jeremy Zoss.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mIDZud_St2s/STgHHRIO6gI/AAAAAAAAABc/_OMQQ5RlJMM/s320/Kudos50.jpg

---
as if banana "republic" knows anything about fashion. HA. ~ShakeNBake08
The bananas worked very hard to achieve a republic. Please respect them. ~Rufus1186

User Info: JPKilla

JPKilla
9 years ago#6
NextGen_TB posted...
JPKilla posted...

Kudos to Jeremy Zoss.

I'm going to assume A) You didn't read it, B) You're sarcastic, or C) You don't understand the key points of this response.

I'll let you choose, it'll be easier that way.

I don't see any part of his letter to you that was not tactful, rational, or appropriate.

Once again, you are taking your opinion to be fact and rejecting everyone else's opinion as an inconvenience at best and a nuisance at worst.

Unless you want to have a conversation where you are willing to respect opinions that other people have that are different from your own, I won't be responding further.
The universe may be as great as they say. But it wouldn't be missed if it didn't exist.

User Info: Filipininja

Filipininja
9 years ago#7
Wait, why are there two topics?
Even though you can't see God, you can be sure He's there and He's watching you. He's like a ninja.

Jiryn
9 years ago#8
Filipininja posted...
Wait, why are there two topics?

Only one, but I posted the link/message in 3 other topics which were concerning the same idea but related to the Sonic Generations game
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.

User Info: Koopa-Dude94

Koopa-Dude94
9 years ago#9
Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with Jeremy's response. It was about as mature and reasonable as it could have been.

How about you humor us here unejercated folk for disagreeing with your opinion and actually tell us what Jeremy did wrong?
Hidden Blocks: Champions of the Glitz Pit Season 3
Quake Hammer: Own enemies with the freakin' GROUND.

Jiryn
9 years ago#10
Koopa-Dude94 posted...
Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with Jeremy's response. It was about as mature and reasonable as it could have been.

How about you humor us here unejercated folk for disagreeing with your opinion and actually tell us what Jeremy did wrong?

The main point is not the reply, that is his retraction statement.
People are pissed that he admitted that game informer rates games based on how "Popular" they are. Then quickly retracted it the next day saying he doesn't do that.

People still feel and think that they actually grade on how popular the game will be sales wise. AKA Triple A titles will always be rated higher because it is what people want etc etc.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  3. Game Informer's Reasoning Behind 6.75 grade Public Opinion
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A