• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: RedMage323

RedMage323
8 years ago#1
I tried to uninstall the game, but it wont let me. I would just go to the folder and delete everything, but the problem is I want to install a different Civ 4, so I want to uninstall it the right way to ensure there will be no problems.
It pops up with a message like "An error (-5004: a bunch of other numbers)". Has anyone else had this problem?
Any weapon that relies on the stupidity of your enemies is always good. - Franky_McShanky

User Info: Rusty545

Rusty545
8 years ago#2
I think you have to manually uninstall the game from the control panel
Worst sig ever.

RedMage323
8 years ago#3
I tried that, that's where I get the message from.
Any weapon that relies on the stupidity of your enemies is always good. - Franky_McShanky

User Info: lsteuer

lsteuer
8 years ago#4

Just delete the Registry Entries pointing to the program, then you can install a new version and your computer will just overwrite the old files.

RedMage323
8 years ago#5

Just delete the Registry Entries pointing to the program, then you can install a new version and your computer will just overwrite the old files.

And where do I find that? I don't even know what registry entries are >.>

User Info: beege_man

beege_man
8 years ago#6
If you don't know what registry entries are, it's not a good idea to be messing with them.

If the game won't uninstall, just try deleting the folder and reinstalling. It won't be a perfectly clean install, but usually it's good enough. Maybe at that point it will allow you to uninstall properly and reinstall if you need to again.

User Info: superdude007

superdude007
8 years ago#7
I had this same problem. To finish uninstalling delete this folder:
C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}

You're also going to have to delete the registry entries. To do that bring up the start menu and find the "Run" task. When you do that a window will come up asking you the name of the program to open. Type "command" and click on "okay". Another window will open. Type "regedit" then press enter. A new window will open - Registry Editor.

From there you need to delete these registries:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}

And that should do it.
The nakedness of woman is the work of God. - Blake

RedMage323
8 years ago#8

From: Ricky the Pacifist | Posted: 9/17/2010 4:18:32 AM | #007
I had this same problem. To finish uninstalling delete this folder:
C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\

This folder doesn't exist for me.

User Info: jonathan_rector

jonathan_rector
8 years ago#9

Bumping old threads sucks, but thanks man! This worked for me (currently re-installing now).

• Topic Archived