• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: bonham2

bonham2
12 years ago#1
So, I've been getting into the Mega Man games recently via Virtual Console. I really want to play Mega Man 4-8 (which of course aren't available on VC), so I bought this game used for $8. Sweet deal, right?

No, the controls are TERRIBLE (sluggish, backwards, Gamecube's mini D pad sucks), and the ports of MM 1-3 are not as perfect as everyone says. The sound is all screwy, and the stupid hints are annoying. I REFUSE to experience MM 4-8 for the first time like this.

I also bought the Mega Man X Collection. So, with all my problems with the first one, should I even bother with the X Collection? Is this any better?

User Info: RetroPRO

RetroPRO
12 years ago#2
No, the controls are TERRIBLE (sluggish, backwards, Gamecube's mini D pad sucks), and the ports of MM 1-3 are not as perfect as everyone says. The sound is all screwy, and the stupid hints are annoying. I REFUSE to experience MM 4-8 for the first time like this.

What? The controls aren't sluggish, but they are backwards. However it doesn't take more than a second to get used to it. The Gamecube's mini d pad DOES suck. And I think the sound is fine(But If you think otherwise I do believe most TV's come with an option to lower the volume.... right?) Also what hints do you speak of? I think there's something in the options for that, but I'm fairly certain it is turned off by default, which means you turned them on.

I also bought the Mega Man X Collection. So, with all my problems with the first one, should I even bother with the X Collection? Is this any better?

And no, since you've already bought it I say you just let it sit there, and look at the pretty case instead of playing it.

bonham2
12 years ago#3
"And no, since you've already bought it I say you just let it sit there, and look at the pretty case instead of playing it."

Ha! I bought both games used at GameStop, and they have a 7 day return policy if you don't like the used game. So my point is, I want to experience Mega Man 4-8 in their original glory without annoying control and sound issues, so I will not be keeping the Anniversary Collection. I would like to experience the X Collection the same way, but since I have never played an X game, I would like to know how accurate they are.

User Info: amp888

amp888
12 years ago#4
They're nearly perfect IMO. AND you can adjust the controls in every game however you would want. The sound in MMX3 was definitely different than I was used to, but this was probably because the MMX3 is a port of the PS version and not the SNES version like 1 and 2 are. Definitely keep X collection. I would also keep Anniversary collection, I adjusted to the controls after awhile. As far as the sound goes, What kind of TV are you playing on, what is your sound system, which console, and how is the console wired to the TV/sound system? All of these things can impact how it sounds. Anniversary Collection sounded perfect to me, except for 7, which was a little wonky in spots, but I'm playing on an older TV with standard hookups.
Its Morphin' Time! GAHILOVEBEINGPURPLE!

User Info: Hyper_Sonic_987

Hyper_Sonic_987
12 years ago#5

X Collection is amazing and has perfect controls for the system. Now. You're complaining about playing 4-8 in their original glory. My advice: PLAY THE STINKIN' ORIGINALS AND STOP COMPLAINING TO US HOW MUCH IT SUCKS! People like you drive me nuts! Get an old NES at a pawn shop for 10 bucks, find4, 5and 6on ebay for 15 bucks, and finally (and most importantly), stop complaining to us how much you hate a game you just returned

"There's only 1 s in Samus" ~marioman11

bonham2
12 years ago#6
Thank you sir, may I have another.

Actually, I used to own an NES (as well as mostly every other old system). I sold it, along with my SNES and N64, when I got my Wii because early on, Nintendo pretty much claimed that every game would be available. I have no interest in buying another NES with a corded controller that I have to blow in every time I change games. I also like having the ability to save without writing down passwords. Instead, since Nintendo has not lived up to their promise, I have discovered the world of emulation. I fully plan to buy these games on VC if they are ever released, but for now. I am enjoying them with whatever controller configuration I would like.

My question was really not aimed at the AC; it was more aimed towards the X Collection. Thank you for answering my question.

User Info: darklaser24

darklaser24
12 years ago#7
I use the control stick. and im awesome. not really i just got used to it after a while.

User Info: Hyper_Sonic_987

Hyper_Sonic_987
12 years ago#8

Sorry 'bout going ape on you there, man. "May I please have another?" Lol! Yes, X Collection is going to roxor your soxors. I'd have to say that it's my favorite game right now

"There's only 1 s in Samus" ~marioman11

User Info: Dylan1CC

Dylan1CC
12 years ago#9

RetroPRO: "What? The controls aren't sluggish, but they are backwards. However it doesn't take more than a second to get used to it."

Speak for yourself! I like many people hated how Atomic Planet reversed the proper NES set up on MM Anniversary without being decent enough to include control options (like on the MMX collection). Virtual Console customers would riot if Nintendo reversed the controls on their classic 8 and 16-bit games. Imagine trying to play a VC version of Super Metroid where the control menu was removed, having to jump with the Y button and shoot with B with no way of changing it back? Anyways, back in the day I didn't let Atomic Planet's stupidity get the better of me because I had a Gamecube Hori Pad modded with an A-B switch so I could play the Collection the way they were meant to be played. Ha. Pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/dylanh/Hori1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/dylanh/hori2.jpg

"And no, since you've already bought it I say you just let it sit there, and look at the pretty case instead of playing it."

Wow, what an unhelpful, dumb, smug responsel. At least amp888 provided the info he needed.

User Info: bibfortuna25

bibfortuna25
12 years ago#10
I don't even bother with the D-pad in this. The control stick works just fine.
Finding the Fiji Mermaid is like playing Calvinball. You can never do it the same way twice.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A