• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantom Brave
  3. Raising SP: A very boring chore...

User Info: bsperan

bsperan
3 years ago#1
Since Phantom Brave has a huge variety of interesting and beautifully-animated skills, it seems such a shame that it's so difficult to use them. I'm afraid that I will beat every map and boss in the game and grow tired of it long, long before I try out most of the skills.

This is in sharp contrast with Disgaea, where I found it a bit difficult but certainly doable to try out over 90% of the skills / attacks in the game in my first play-through.

The limiting factor is the SP. The best and most visually appealing skills require absolutely massive amounts of SP. Even after leveling and extensive use, you'd be lucky if your character has enough SP to use a single power skill once on a map. And you have to go back to Phantom Isle to replenish SP, meaning you can only use such skills maybe once throughout a random dungeon, unless you leave early (and loose out on the successive level bonuses).

Even with skills they're proficient with, characters start with maybe 4 SP. With other skills, they may start with 1 or zero. (Another annoyance, I think, is how many skills unequip the character on use. I tend to avoid those as I don't want to leave my character vulnerable or lose the item to stealing or O.B.)

Yes, we can use Fusion to transfer that hard-earned SP to another character. But it's still a hugely limiting factor. The situation would be bad enough if fusion ADDED the SP together. But, noooo! It only transfers if the material's SP is higher. :rolleyes:

bsperan
3 years ago#2
Even with "S" proficiency, it takes FOREVER to raise SP! I've been playing certain maps over and over again, ad nauseum, just to raise SP. But even after that and several random dungeons, the highest SP I've managed to get so far is 47 Healing. And that was on Marona, who is always there and always the first to act.

The next highest SP I got was 37 in Energy on an Archer that I played on Map 1-1 repeatedly (more than a day) just to level SP. I wanted at least 36 Energy SP so I could have her learn and actually use Dark Eboreous from the Blsphm title before fusing her into Ash.

But raising SP on characters with an "A" or "S" proficiency just to fuse them into a character with a crummy skill proficiency is such a mind-numbingly dull chore. After several days of this I want quit and never look at Phantom Brave again.

(Tip: When trying to raise SP, it's much faster to just play the same map over and over again, rather than going back to Phantom Island all the time or even switching between maps. But it's still exceedingly slow going.)

I've read in some faq a suggestion of leveling SP to 100 before fusion. But that sounds insane to me! There's just no way I'd do that. How could even obsessed gamers put up with such boring tedium?

Isn't there an easier way? I was hoping that killing an enemy with a skill would raise SP faster, especially against higher-level opponents. But that does not seem to be the case.

Is there at least some title bonus or dungeon bonus that can raise SP faster?

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
3 years ago#3
I'll be honest -- normally I only use Marona, as she doesn't have her turns limited, plus NIS games tend to favor going with only one character over multiple characters.

My advice for your archer? Decide on something else you want to do (say, diving through a Failure dungeon for high-mana items) and summon your archer every level for a few uses of Energy. Since you'll be working on the mana items, you'll be progreewssing with your archer without even realizing it (just like when I look at Marona's skill list and realize that Blinding Light is level 50 or something).

EDIT: Naturally, five seconds after posting I remember that SP gain depends seems to depend partially on your level. So level up your archer and she should gain SP faster!
My NES, SNES, and GB all work just fine. Who cares about graphics when the gameplay is awesome?

bsperan
3 years ago#4
Thanks for the reply!

Very interesting that SP gain depends on character level. Of all the game faqs and forum threads - and the official strategy guide - on Phantom Brave, I did not find this fact mentioned in any of them. (Also, hardly anyone mentions that neither Marona nor Ash can ever earn the Blsphm title through 100 dark points. I've got 100 dark points on Ash, now, and I can seem to get rid of those even with a Granny...) I had not tried that. What I did try was attacking enemies of different levels, but SP gain seemed the same whether I was fighting a level 1 or level 40 opponent.

Actually, after my post, I dug around to find my Code Breaker disk and looked up codes for Phantom Brave. There is, indeed, a code for "Quick Skill Affinity EXP Gain Modifier", which is SP gain, and it works like a charm. (Set the ???? value to about 2FFF to gain about 10 to 30 levels per skill use.) I hardly ever use a cheat device as I don't like to cheat. But I could not see wasting any more of my time on SP gain since it was so boring and slow. (Unfortunately, the "No Dark Alignment" code merely prevents a character from accumulating dark points. It would not remove the dark points I mistakenly gave Ash.)

It seems weird that NIS games would favor soloing the entire game. What's the point of having such a huge variety of characters, skills, and unique moves and voices, then? Nobody would see most of them, even through several playthroughs. The game narrator/advice even points out that Marona is weak and needs the help of her phantoms to fight. I'd call this a poor choice in game design.

Finally... How did you edit your post? I don't see how one can do this. At the bottom of my posts all I see are links for [delete] and [quote].

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
3 years ago#5
You need to have a certain amount of karma; don't worry, you'll reach that point soon enough.

And I mean the user's level, not the target's level. So equip your archer with an item from a failure dungeon, then beat up some other items for exp and levels.

And I agree that having to get SP like that tends to be a drag. My Marona generally used Blinding Light, Gravity, and Punish, as they run off her best elements, appear at the start, and are cheap. I don't think I've ever gotten anyone with Dark Eboreus.

As for NIS, I don';t think they intended the games to be easiest for only using a single character; it just turned out that way (and it certainly helps that while most characters vanish after 3-5 turns, Marona NEVER vanishes!).

How far are you in Phantom Brave?
My NES, SNES, and GB all work just fine. Who cares about graphics when the gameplay is awesome?
  1. Boards
  2. Phantom Brave
  3. Raising SP: A very boring chore...
  • Topic Archived