• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantom Brave
  3. How many hours did it take you to beat Pringer X from the start of the game?

User Info: SheenavsKilley

SheenavsKilley
4 years ago#1
I don't understand this Combo title

using ONE Combo in the right place will cut the number you need by half!

(Your Trolly + Trolly) + (Trolly + Trolly) +
(Combo Trolly + Trolly) + (Trolly + Trolly)
=
(Your Trolly5% + Trolly5%) + (Combo Trolly5% + Trolly5%)
=
(Your Trolly10% + Combo Trolly10%)
=
Your Trolly20%

Saving you 8 Trollies in this case. If you had a 2nd Combo Trolly to
throw into this operation, you will save another 4 Trollies.
Wow! This looks even better once I typed it out than it sounded in my
head. I think I will start saving all my Combos now, except things like
Combo Dead Trees, of course, their Equip % are so flat you won't be
needing them for anything important. Fuse away to make room for more!

source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/919034-phantom-brave/faqs/41547

User Info: Kaelin

Kaelin
4 years ago#2
Items can have bunches of titles (Failure, Plain, Screwy, GradeA, etc), but one title is "Combo." Unlike almost all other titles, a titlist cannot replace Combo with another title, and Combo doesn't improve an item's stats.

When fusing items, each equip% for the first item can be increased by 5% (using Mana) unless the item you are improving already has a better equip% than the item it is being fused with. For example, fusing a pillar with a weed will allow you to improve the pillar's SPD equip% but not its ATK equip%. IIRC, Combo items can instead increase your equip% by 10% instead of 5%, making them a little more effective in the equip% boosting process. Combo items can be randomly obtained by clearing random dungeon levels (and most quickly in "failure" dungeons). The catch is that not only are you waiting for Combo items to drop at random, but you are also waiting for them to be Combo items of the types with the good equip% values you're trying to boost.

What the guide is saying is that Combo titles can speed up the process. There are limits to their greatness, but if you are trying to fuse related types to get a +40% beyond an item type's normal capability, one could get there by fusing that item via a chain of 255 duplicates of the same item type or by using "just" 15 Combo-title items of the same item type. Even with far-fewer Combo items, you can take away most of the duplicates you otherwise need (even just getting one Combo would drop the requirement of 255 fusing items down to 127, assuming you make the Combo title disappear last).

I think. I never tried it before.

SheenavsKilley
4 years ago#3
I don't understand your explanation

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
4 years ago#4
When you combine two items, one is a base item (the one you keep, which is the first item you select) and one is the added item. If the added item has a higher or equal percentage than the base item, the base item's percentage is raised by 5.

So suppose you want to combine a Book (50% Def, 40% Int, 0% everything else) as the base item and a knife (40% atk, 30% spd, 0% everything else) as the added item. The book has higher Def and Int percentages, but the knife is equal or higher for everything else. As a result, the combined item will have 50% def, 40% int, and 5% everything else. If you use that item as the base item for another knife, then it'll wind up with 50% def, 40% int, 10% atk, 10% spd, and 5% everything else.

Why are raising the percentages useful? Because those show the percentage of the stat added. If a book has 200 Int and 40% Int percentage, then equipping it raises your character's int by 80 (40% of 200).

Is there an efficient way of doing th9ings? Yes, combining the same type of item. Suppose that we have four uncombined knives (let's call them Knife1, Knife2, Knife3, and Knife4 -- they're all 40% Atk, 30% spd, 0% everything else). If we combine Knife1 and Knife2, since their percentages are identical, it'll raise all percentages by five! (45% Atk, 35% spd, 5% everything else) But now the boosted Knife1 cannot gain percentages from combining with Knife3 or Knife4, as all its percentages are higher by five. However, if we combine Knife3 and Knife4, then the boosted Knife3 is now tied with boosted Knife1 -- so we can combine Knife1 and Knife3, and that'll again raise every percentage by five (meaning Knife1's percentages are now ten points above the base percentages -- 50% Atk, 40% spd, 10% everything else).

So why are Combo items useful? Because if they're the added item, any percentage increases will go up by ten instead of five! So if Knife5 was a Combo Knife, then the final combination would push Knife1 by ten points not five, putting it at 55% Atk, 45% spd, 15% everything else. If you didn't have any combo items, you'd have to get knives 5-8, combine those four, and then fuse the result from knives 1-4. No, four knives isn't an expensive investment, but the higher the target percentages, the more you'll save. A +30% item, for example, would normally cost sixty-four items (and if we're working with an expensive one, it'd mean sixty-four expensive items!), but a single Combo item of the correct type would lower it to only thirty-two items.
My NES, SNES, and GB all work just fine. Why should I downgrade to a Wii U, PS4, or XBone?

SheenavsKilley
4 years ago#5
Eh, I still can't understand. Anyway I just need to use all Combo items, doesn't matter where I put them in the equation.

I don't need to understand, right?

Combo items will always boost equipment ability no matter what?

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
4 years ago#6
If combining base item A with added item B increases a percentage, having item B be a combo item item doubles the percentage increase. Otherwise, being a combo item does not help.

For where to put the combo item, it's generally best as the last added item.
My NES, SNES, and GB all work just fine. Why should I downgrade to a Wii U, PS4, or XBone?
  1. Boards
  2. Phantom Brave
  3. How many hours did it take you to beat Pringer X from the start of the game?
  • Topic Archived