• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantom Brave
  3. Finally, the ULTIMATE NEW PLAYER TOPIC!!! (No SPOILERS, but just in case)

User Info: Wiggy

Wiggy
14 years ago#41
I would like to update how fusion works on stats. I'm not going to print the exact formula because it'd be taken from DoubleJump's strategy guide, but I will go ahead and crunch numbers for you. The function for final modified stat will be f(x,y), where x is the base item's modified stat value, and y is the secondary item's modified stat value.

Let's say you have a weapon with 10,000 in a stat and another weapon with 20,000 in the same stat. Using the Plain title (0% stat modifiers), x equals 10,000, and y equals 20,000. This is what we wend up with:

f(10000,20000) = 15000

That's +5,000. Not bad. Let's say, though, that we apply the Failure title to the first and the l33t title (+30% stat modifiers) to the second. Now x equals 2,000, and y equals 26,000:

f(2000,26000) = 4400

Switching back to the Plain title, the final stat is 22,000. Instead of +5,000, we now have +12,000! Not bad, eh?

If we swap the weapons, we get the following:

f(20000,10000) = 15000
f(4000,13000) = 4900

To finish, we multiply the 4,900 by 5 to get a final stat of 24,500. Since 15,000 is less than the original stat, the stat would remain unchanged if we used Plain titles. However, by using the Failure trick, we can use an item with lower stats to increase the bigger item's stats!
"You know how some people don't have hands? Well, I don't have a mother."
"Oh, you were born without one?"

Wiggy
14 years ago#42
And now, the one you've all been waiting for!

I lied:
There are two more utility characters: the Old Man and the Granny. You'll find them on two of the story maps; they're yellow enemies, so make sure you kill them before you beat all the red guys. Their functions are rather unique in that you don't activate them; they occur randomly when you come back to Phantom Isle from a dungeon or random dungeon. Here's what they do:

Old Man - randomly gives experience bonuses to characters and items that don't participate in battle. The bonus isn't really very much, but it can nonetheless be extremely useful for items. For one, they don't require as much experience as characters to level up. I'm assuming this is to offset the fact that items don't automatically level up when their experience bar is filled; instead, you must visit the Blacksmith and spend one mana when the gauge fills up. However, if the Old Man gives an item enough level to fill up its experience bar, the item will automatically level up. No fuss, no muss. Increasing the Old Man's level increases the amount of bonus experience he gives and may increase the frequency with which he bestows his gifts.

Granny - randomly reduces the Dark Points that a character may have acquired. For an explanation on Dark Points, look below. I think she can affect characters that participate in battle because I've seen her reduce Marona's before. There's a drawback, though: her effect triggers pretty rarely, and it only removes a small number of DP's. Increasing her level increases her effectiveness.
My brain hurts...
We now have hardware sophisticated enough to make video games appear as if they were drawn in MSPaint!
http://cyberakumazero.homestead.com/files/Game.jpg

User Info: Tallgeese

Tallgeese
14 years ago#44
Question!

Do you HAVE to use the Old Man or Granny in battle to have their effect trigger? I mean... Let's face it. They're pretty pathetic.

User Info: Tallgeese

Tallgeese
14 years ago#45
By the way... Are you sure Bottle Mails don't count as Utility Characters? Sometimes when you talk to them on PI they spit out Mana...

User Info: Alkali5000

Alkali5000
14 years ago#46

Tallgeese posted...
By the way... Are you sure Bottle Mails don't count as Utility Characters? Sometimes when you talk to them on PI they spit out Mana...

Actually, I think any of the non-utility characters randomly give you EXP or mana (You can only talk to them once, won't talk to you again until after a battle. They (except monsters that can't talk) say randomly selected text strings like "Go go Prism Rangers" "Wouldn't a Phantom Brave Anime be cool" and other things too. XD)

Wiggy
14 years ago#47
I actually think you might not be able to use them in battle to trigger their effects. Not sure on this point, though.

Every time you speak to a non-utility character on the island you get what the strategy guide calls "Good Will points" with that character. If you kill the character, you lose some points. There's no way to check them, but they're there. Anyway, the more you have, the higher the chance that talking to a non-utility character will net you some experience, money, or mana. I haven't really found it to be game-changing, though, so I don't waste my time with it.

User Info: Lazy

Lazy
14 years ago#48
Thanks you Wiggy! A brilliant topic that will aid many players in need of help.

User Info: escher

escher
14 years ago#49
This is an amazing topic, and the fact that you're still adding to it makes it even fresher.

User Info: Sixth_Ghost

Sixth_Ghost
14 years ago#50
I have a question, but be warned it's extremely vague.

There's this character, I'd like to make this character a bit more sexy. I've done things to this character, some involving genetic engineering, to accomplish this. The results were not spectacular. Can you fix it?
"Fighter, because of your poor performance in the last battle we have voted you off the island." Ash tosses him off of Phantom Island. ~celadus
  1. Boards
  2. Phantom Brave
  3. Finally, the ULTIMATE NEW PLAYER TOPIC!!! (No SPOILERS, but just in case)
  • Topic Closed