• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
2 years ago#21
Can you be more specific about the differences between the consul versions? I only have the PS2 version and never knew there was a difference, though I would have certainly assumed that the GameCube version would have much better load times as well as memory card access times. That's par for the course.

GoukiAkujiki
2 years ago#22
I just reread everything I think I get it.

Those are just extra figurines or whatever collectibles. When I first read it I thought you meant actual armor and enemies.

If you are a fan of MegaMan a great RPG to play is the PSone game Valkyrie profile. The field map is a side scrolling Platformer, and it transitions to a battle that has action timed inputs that allow you to combo enemies. That's in dungeons and towns. When you're on the world map you fly around like a super Saiyan. The game is epic on all accounts. There is also a release on the PSP that has added cut scenes, so keep that in mind.

If you want to get into a strategy RPG, I would recommend the very first Disgaea.

User Info: NessEggman

NessEggman
2 years ago#23
Disgaea is eeeehhhhh. It has a huge addictive element in the way you can level up so much crap, but it's like... a cookie-clicker-type addictiveness. I really liked it at first but it got stale pretty fast for me. It's cute and the story is funny but unless you're a sucker for that kind of thing, it gets boring too fast. I'm the same way about MMOs. The addictiveness wears off for me as soon as it becomes even a tiny bit cumbersome to advance or level something up, and those kinds of games offer very little outside of that.

Valkyrie Profile was pretty cool, though. I never got too far because I only played on my friend's copy, though.
http://thaao.net/playdiaries/ --- SSLPs of SaGa, Rockman, Harvest Moon, Tokimeki Memorial, and more

GoukiAkujiki
2 years ago#24
It's very easy to get into though. And all of the insanity that goes along with the power leveling isn't necessary to experience a normal play through. Note that I'm only talking about the first game. I was burned out on the formula by the time the second game even came around, probably because I put close to 1000 hours into the first game and became so attached to the cast. I definitely didn't do much in the second game. Completely skipped every one after that, except for the direct sequel to the first game that came out six or so years ago.

But just talking about the genre as a whole, I feel like the pace is a lot easier to get into and the systems are doled out at a good rate. Final Fantasy tactics can take over an hour for a single fight, so even though I consider it an overall superior game it's not something I would tell someone to dive headfirst into.

As for Valkyrie profile, when I think about how they made a mega man RPG and just cloned FFX in terms of the battle setup, I think cloning Valkyrie profile would have turned out a million times better.

User Info: NessEggman

NessEggman
2 years ago#25
Yeah I was only referring to the first game because I never bothered to play any others after that lol. And I realize that all that powerleveling and collecting is optional but... that's the entire appeal to the game, so if you're ignoring that, then you're not even experiencing its "fun" things.

The story was funny and the characters were likeable. I probably would have liked it more if it had a different art style and not such terrible voice acting. But both of those things were huge turn-offs for me, too.

I understand why other people would like the game but it's definitely not a game for me. On the other hand, I love other SRPG, so... I feel like if I had played that first I may have been turned off on the genre. Or maybe it's because I already know the genre and have expectations and desires about it that I ended up not liking Disgaea.

And yeah, if Command Mission was more VP-style, that would have been great! It's good as it is, but that seems like a more fitting system.
http://thaao.net/playdiaries/ --- SSLPs of SaGa, Rockman, Harvest Moon, Tokimeki Memorial, and more

GoukiAkujiki
2 years ago#26
Geez, when did you play it? The game has great voice acting and a very fun story. There's plenty of "fun" to be had ignoring the power leveling aspect of the game.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A