• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
  3. Solo Max run - hard, easy, then infuriating

User Info: medleysa

medleysa
1 month ago#1
I just finished a solo Max run of this game and thought I’d share my experience.
On a scale of 1-10, where 10 is Battletoads levels of hard, it was about a 7.
The first two chapters are a bit rough to start; you’ll be egressing from every battle at least once to grind. Hardest point is the cave where you get the orb of light; the numerous bats there will put you to sleep, which is a major annoyance. By that time, you’ll only be taking 1 damage, but sleep burns your entire turn.
The middle is stupidly easy. At this point, you will gain levels like nothing and will chew through enemies. I promoted at Uranbatol (right after Elliot) at level 20. There is another quick gain in levels after promotion. Thanks to the myriad of missions where the goal is to simply kill one enemy or get to a destination, you can blitz chapters 3-7.
The end game is where it falls apart. On its own, this is a 9.5/10 in difficulty. The biggest problem is the plethora of enemies that have set damage roll attacks (chimeras’ fire breath, blue dragons’ ice breath, etc.). Since these have a near-set damage and ignore defense, you’ll hit a brick wall.
I was level 86 when I finished b/c of this. This was when I could reliably one-shot most enemies, and then the game wasn’t that fun. it became less about strategy and more about luck and survival.
Has anyone done a solo Max run? What was your experience like?
Even with power, we cannot change what has passed. What is done, is done.
  1. Boards
  2. Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
  3. Solo Max run - hard, easy, then infuriating
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A

How do I get Mawlock's Card? Side Quest1 Answer