• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Gungrave: Overdose
  3. I marvel at the speed!

User Info: Kodanshi

Kodanshi
7 years ago#1
So I started playing this today, after a long time playing Gungrave (the original) and watching the animé. I must say I felt shocked at the incredible speed of Overdose! It feels insanely fast, and Brandon moves so quickly. I have only played the first section as yet, on the hardest difficulty. Great fun, and I love the shot combo option.
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

User Info: Spherix

Spherix
7 years ago#2
Yeah, the three different movement speed (all of which were too slow) in the first one was probably the most awkward element of it. Overdose has a lot of mechanical improvements, but sometimes the pacing is a bit off. The difficulty fluctuates quite a bit, with some bosses being weirdly difficult, and others silly easy. And it's often impossible to keep your beat count going, just due to the level design, which is a real change from the nature of the first game. But it's nice to have more demolition shots, and to be able to switch between them quickly and easily. Multiple characters, melee combos,blocking, the stun attack, and the charge shots all give the game a bit more mechanical depth.

The story's a bit weak though, weaker than the first. It feels a little hokey, though there are some really great moments throughout the game.

There are a lot of different unlockables, and they each have different requirements to unlock them... Except in at least the US release by Mastiff, beating it on Kick-Ass unlocks everything. I'm not sure how the EU releases work, or how much they share with Mastiff's version.

User Info: Kodanshi

Kodanshi
7 years ago#3
Thanks. I did have some difficulties with beat counts so far (but only on 2nd level now, and faced the first boss — easy on his second phase with the use of charge shots — as well as the helicopter, which is ridiculously simple when you can manipulate it into firing rockets a lot).

I think the highest beat count I got so far has been one hundred and something. In the first game I managed 301 on Normal difficulty and 248 in Kick Ass mode.

Thanks for the indepth detailing. I’m having a lot of fun playing this so far.
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
  1. Boards
  2. Gungrave: Overdose
  3. I marvel at the speed!
  • Topic Archived