• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 3
  3. Help understanding Random Encounters?

User Info: RPGNinja123

RPGNinja123
8 months ago#1
I read the entry for the wiki post about random encounters and I still cant quite understand the scarcity of it. So is it correct that basically that map of spawn/trigger points are all the locations in the game for Random encounters... (I think i understand that part) but what I am not understanding is that for repeatable quests and the like... they arent actually INFINITELY repeatable right? because you will eventually run out of trigger points and you cant re-trigger the same point?

So in essence a repeatable encounter isnt actually that repeatable once you find all the points?
I can't be a troll. My karma is too high.
My greatest enemies have me on their ignore list because they can't handle the truth hammer.

User Info: red255

red255
7 months ago#2
I was not aware of repeatable encounters.

some encounters occupy the respawn point permanently after triggering, some clear out after the cell resets and can spawn a new one.

I'd have to look at the list

but to call it a quest, if its a quest its unmarked with no rewards over kill a bunch of raiders get some karma.

what one would you even want to bother farming? instead of farming the various respawning skill books.
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.

User Info: RPGNinja123

RPGNinja123
6 months ago#3
red255 posted...
I was not aware of repeatable encounters.

some encounters occupy the respawn point permanently after triggering, some clear out after the cell resets and can spawn a new one.

I'd have to look at the list

but to call it a quest, if its a quest its unmarked with no rewards over kill a bunch of raiders get some karma.

what one would you even want to bother farming? instead of farming the various respawning skill books.

I would love to just keep repeatedly farming the Outcast patrols as well for more gear and sending it back the Paladin who trades in yourself for stimpacks. Also getting back easy caps too (like that isn't easy enough already). But I was always intrigued with just having endless supply of stuff.
I can't be a troll. My karma is too high.
My greatest enemies have me on their ignore list because they can't handle the truth hammer.

User Info: sigma_1932

sigma_1932
5 months ago#4
Once a given encounter point is triggered, it's pretty much permanently set. IIRC, repeatable (Especially B-type encounters) can re-occur after time has passed (i.e. the cell "resets"), but it'll generally be the same encounter again. From what I've seen, it's rare that they reset to something else, but with Gamebryo being unstable as it is, it's not unheard of.

As far as Outcast patrols go, there are certain areas of the map that will always have preset Outcast patrols on them, regardless of "Random Encounter" spawn points. Been some time since I played, but off the top of my head, there's one of these pre-set patrols that runs along the road north of Kaelyn's B&B/S-SE of Arefu (they move along the road, and will engage the raiders in the area).

There's also a B-type random encounter spawn south of Flash Fordham Field (just Northeast of Kaelyn's B&B) that can be set up to spawn Outcasts as well.

If you really want to know EXACTLY where the random encounter triggers/spawn points are, they can be looked up in the GECK without too much trouble.
Fallout 3: For people who don't know any better.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 3
  3. Help understanding Random Encounters?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A