• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 3
  3. Fix for Crash on Save

User Info: ogresamanosuke

ogresamanosuke
10 years ago#1
Okay, having had this issue of saving corruption several times and nearly freaking out each time, I hadn't found any solution yet. While prowling through old posts here, I finally found a breakthrough posted by a poster named Waxfruit.

It's completely stupid, and bizarre that it works, but it has restored every file that had save corruption for me. All my old files from months back I gave up on, my more recent characters that also bugged out. So I'm begging everyone else, help get this stickied some other PC users with the same problem know what to do.

The cure: blow yourself up. I know, I know, sounds insane. But do it. Turn off all auto-saving if you need to, so you can reach your Fat-Man or whatever you want, but go blow yourself to pieces. Upon reloading your last file, it'll undo whatever causes the save corruption.

Special thanks to Waxfruit from figuring this out originally, you're my personal hero.
Zelda games suck. And thier fans are closet cases.
There. I said it. You may go on now.

User Info: DLGx

DLGx
10 years ago#2

Heard of a lot of stupid ways to bypass bugs in games over the years and this is top 3 for sure.

I haven't got any corrupted saves so can't try it out.... my only problem with the game is random CTD every now and then.

User Info: ReKeshaI

ReKeshaI
10 years ago#3
Save corruption is usually a sign of HDD issue in which it doesn't like anything being written to it. Of course all OS's, especially Windows *do* do a lot of writing with Event Log and if you use NTFS which is a journaling FS (double the writing done, basically), so a save game can easily get corruped after excess writing.

Anyways this is just by chance that your issue is randomly fixed, blowing yourself does not fix save corruption. My fix is to not use quick save every 2 seconds, I'm not kidding, I press f5 every 2 seconds out of habit. Now I carefully plan when its actually oportune to save, and I use the way a console user would save, which is Esc > Save, creating a new save file and not overwriting one constantly.

User Info: sotis_tseles

sotis_tseles
10 years ago#4
It may sound crazy but it DID WORK for me!!!!
Thanks man!!!

User Info: Ronator

Ronator
10 years ago#5

Holy **** **** IT **** WORKS. I was laughing at this post at first went to my game and tried it. This is freaking rediculous but thanks alot for this (how the hell did you come up with this)

User Info: games_r_cool

games_r_cool
10 years ago#6
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]

User Info: Elklyn

Elklyn
10 years ago#7
Bump! The most epic-ly hilarious fix that actually works.... seems more like a joke then a actual fix. Nice find!

User Info: ogresamanosuke

ogresamanosuke
10 years ago#8
I had 20 hours of gameplay and my file corrupted, had to go back to a 12 hour of gameplay save, I was like WTFMATE THIS ISN'T HAPPENING! Then I cried a little, and walked away from my computer.

Came back did all my s**t again.

Imagine how I feel. I've done that 5 times now. It always corrupts when I'm like lv16+, only once did it do it early on, which didn't phase me, cause it was also the only time it didn't effect an earlier file.

Anyways this is just by chance that your issue is randomly fixed, blowing yourself does not fix save corruption. My fix is to not use quick save every 2 seconds, I'm not kidding, I press f5 every 2 seconds out of habit. Now I carefully plan when its actually oportune to save, and I use the way a console user would save, which is Esc > Save, creating a new save file and not overwriting one constantly.

I am on Vista, and that could be the case, but there is an inherent problem with this theory. I don't quicksave spam, I did on Oblivion cause it's difficulty swings between ezmode and brutal like a spastic, but not in Fallout, not since it first happened. I save multiple files, spawning a new file each time, and when it happens, it happens to them all. If I'm lucky, the lv1 at the door of Vault file will survive, and maybe one right after that, but everything else bites the dust. I'll bring up an old file, change rooms to autosave and *BAM* CTD. If it were corrupting the current files I'd be annoyed, but not losing my self control. It literally effects them all, no number of saves will stop it, and it's only Fallout. Oblivion has never had this issue for me on this computer, and it's basically the same damn engine.
Zelda games suck. And thier fans are closet cases.
There. I said it. You may go on now.

User Info: vypershah

vypershah
10 years ago#9
BRo Ogresamanosuke and others please read this and please help me I have a quick save file of fallout 3 that i have been playing for 40 hours and now when i load that quick save file the game starts from bigning where you are standing at the door of vault 101 and you have nothing and the game has started from bigning so please can someone please tell me how to fix this problem???
My email id vypershah@yahoo.com

User Info: bobmark1

bobmark1
10 years ago#10
Bump for an amazing solution to a problem I was having. Thanks!
Xfire Profile: http://www.xfire.com/profile/adiuvo/
Moderator at MforMature.net, though under a different name
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 3
  3. Fix for Crash on Save
  • Topic Archived