Anyone else have an installation problem?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 3
  3. Anyone else have an installation problem?

User Info: Lupus1339

Lupus1339
10 years ago#1
I just got home and tried to install the game, about halfway through I got a pop up that said "CRC error: The file C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\Data\Fallout - Textures.bsa doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted; contact your software vendor." It gave me the option to abort, retry, or ignore, so I retried it and then when that didn't work I ignored it. The game continued to install without trouble but when it finished and I went to play the screen would go black like it was starting up then just crash. I restarted and tried again with the same affects. I just uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it with the same affect. At this point I'm just going to go back to gamestop tomorrow and try to get a new disc. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if it's possible to work around without the trip to the mall.

User Info: Lupus1339

Lupus1339
10 years ago#2
I've been awake for about 20 hours and need to be at work in 9 hours... someone help me so I can either give up and go to sleep or try and make things better.

User Info: Rocco420

Rocco420
10 years ago#3
Yes that exact thing happened to me.

I dunno what to tell you though because I am having other issues that wont even let me play the game.

Auto run wouldnt even pop up I had to install via exploring the disc.
Oversteer scares the passenger
Understeer scares the driver

User Info: Tarjanian

Tarjanian
10 years ago#4

Hey Lupus1339,

I had the exact same issue, it scared the crap out of me because I have been waiting for this gamefor over thee years! I ended up removing the disc from the optical drive without selecting an option from the pop-up, and after putting it back in the dvd drive I selected 'retry' and it worked...

So, I don't what the deal is, but my best guess is we have some of the lemons that probably are produced during the duplication process in every major game release, but we lucked out and got a couple of them. I must have more luck than you as my dvd drive was able to read the disc on a second attempt. I wish I could make yours work, or a least offer you some advice to help. You could try hooking up another dvd and try installing from that, some optical lasers are more sensitive than others and if the data on the our lemons is sort of corrupted then your drive my not be able to read it at all.

In theend though I think the best thing is to take it back to the store and get a replacement, even though mine installed I am going to do the same thing. But I got the collector's ed so EB/Gamestop my not be able to replace mine, so I will probably have to go through Bethesda.

Cheers,

Tarj

User Info: WhiteScorpian

WhiteScorpian
10 years ago#5
hey guys im having some problams my self when i try to install it it just says installing games for windows LIVE can any one help me out

User Info: kastelic321

kastelic321
10 years ago#6

I had the same problem .. after install/unstall three times, including in Safe Mode, I found the answer. Based on a hint from an Oblivion board, I tried the following and it worked:

Go into your Programs/Common directory and find the InstallShield directory

Rename the InstallShield directory to somethign like "InstallShield_Old"

Then Install the game.

This apparantly puts a new version of InstallShield on your computer.

When I did this it installed fine (it was a tense 30 minutes!) and I played all last night.

Good Luck. ---Kastelic321

User Info: nfled

nfled
10 years ago#7
kastelic321 posted...

I had the same problem .. after install/unstall three times, including in Safe Mode, I found the answer. Based on a hint from an Oblivion board, I tried the following and it worked:

Go into your Programs/Common directory and find the InstallShield directory

Rename the InstallShield directory to somethign like "InstallShield_Old"

Then Install the game.

This apparantly puts a new version of InstallShield on your computer.

When I did this it installed fine (it was a tense 30 minutes!) and I played all last night.

Good Luck. ---Kastelic321

I have the same problem and tried this but unfortunately I encountered the same problem. I saw a message on another forum that this is solved by installing it to another PC and then just copying the file, getting a new CD doesn't fix the problem for others. Would you be able to e-mail me the file having the problem? I am at NFLed@aol.com. Thank you in advance.

User Info: WhiteScorpian

WhiteScorpian
10 years ago#8
on and the problam is that installshield is not installing it only freezes

User Info: bugbugbug1

bugbugbug1
10 years ago#9

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING AND NOTHING WORKS. IT SKIPS HALF THE INSTALATION PROCESS AND IM SOOOO SOOOOO MAD!!!!!!!!!!! >:( CAN ANY1 HELP?????!!!! OH AND ITS TRYING TO RUN THE GAME OFF THE DISK!!

User Info: bignick217

bignick217
10 years ago#10

Hey guys,

I've been having the same issue... Except for me, it's been the voices.bsa that its claiming.... This is not a normal CRC issue as it's not claiming a read error. Instead it's claiming a mismatch between the file being copied and the one registered in the .cab... I'm an IT, and this one has actually confused the hell out of me, and for the first time for me, I've actually had to call tech support to report it... They couldn't figure it out either even after an hour on the phone, but my case is the only one they're aware of. So look for their phone number in the back of the manual, and start reporting your case so the can establish a pattern and fix it quickly... They've already escalated mine, but if you want it fixed quickly, you need to report your cases as well so they can see this as an important high priority issue affecting many people that needs to be fixed.

1. Boards
  2. Fallout 3
  3. Anyone else have an installation problem?
  • Topic Archived