You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. Computer won't recognize PSP

User Info: duality48

duality48
1 month ago#1
It's so weird. I got it to work last night for a period of time. I can't remember exactly what I did to make it finally recognize it. I fell asleep with it plugged in, but had to remove it and shut it down because of work today. So later on that night, I'm trying it again. I've tried it with 2 seperate computers to the same outcome. Both are running Windows 10.

It either shows up as Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed), or PSP Type A.
Neither of which show up under "This PC", which is the goal here.

Does anybody know of a surefire way to get the PC to recognize this PSP? It is a 3000 model, type red.

As I stated above, I know it had to be possible because just seemingly random, luck of the draw, I was able to get it to show up last night. To the extent where I can open up and modify the files inside the PSP folders. So what gives?

User Info: BarbaricAvatar

BarbaricAvatar
1 month ago#2
Hook up the PSP via a correct cable; doesn't have to be official - i use my PS3 charge cable which is a generic brand. Scroll across to "Settings" on the PSP and select "USB Connection", it's the first option in the list. Your computer should then make the "device connected" noise and the PSP will be in "This PC" as a removable disk.
There is an auto-detection USB option in the menu but it's never worked for me, it's just one click though so hardly extraneous. (PSP 3000)

I'm using Win 8.1 though, i refuse to upgrade to Win10 again as it's got shockingly bad support for anything older than 3 years.
If you ran the world, it would probably be on fire right now.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: duality48

duality48
4 weeks ago#3
Today I exchanged my PSP I brought from OfferUP because it kept freezing and crashing. Since the old PSP that I have back only would turn on while plugged in, he insisted to supply a PSP battery charging pack, you know, the ones you plug into the wall.

So now I have two batteries I can alternate between. But won't the PSP shut off when removing and replacing the battery? So I'm probably better off heading over to Amazon quick before that happens and purchase me a universal PSP charging cable?

I have a generic PS3 charging cable that I can makeshift use for a PSP USB cable to plug into the computer. But as stated above it was having troubles recognizing the old PSP. I also read somewhere that may be due to it being meant for power signals and not data.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. Computer won't recognize PSP