You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. Games that let you play as a badass

User Info: Metastase

Metastase
1 month ago#11
Samurai Dou Portable (has a complete fan translation). Check out that game's cheat page to see how to use other characters.

I think there were Tenchu games like Shinobido on the PSP as well.

And while there is very limited exploration (only in a few special missions), Gladiator Begins has the best combat engine on the PSP and is the epitome of badass.

All of this said, my favorite PS1 game ticks all of those criteria nicely. The caveat is that, since it's a very old game, it has a hybrid control scheme that's slightly better than tank controls.

I don't know if you're familiar with it, but Urban Chaos is basically GTA3 before GTA3, except with heavy emphasis on rooftops parkour and exploration, plus a simple yet satisfying beat-em-up combat system kinda like ONI. Each "mission" happens on a big town map with delicious interconnected vertical level design, filled with little side missions. It's also really cool how the hidden collectibles are actually permanent stat upgrades (Health/Def/Speed/etc). Just 1 warning: if you wanna play this on the PSP, you have to find and apply the anti piracy patch before turning it into a EBOOT otherwise the game will freeze.

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
1 month ago#12
Dead head Fred
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 USun: Stella; UMoon: Frosty; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
1 month ago#13
Tenchu: Shadow Assassins
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core

I thought these two would've been mentioned by now, especially Crisis Core.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."

User Info: OlorinTheOtaku

OlorinTheOtaku
1 month ago#14

I thought Crisis Core was mainly a traditional ARPG, does it double as an action adventure game too?
Just because something is fictional, doesn't mean its not real.
-Find me on Twitter and Reddit @OlorinTheOtaku

Zero_Maniac
1 month ago#15
OlorinTheOtaku posted...

I thought Crisis Core was mainly a traditional ARPG, does it double as an action adventure game too?

There is some exploration, but it's not like Assassin's Creed Bloodlines. I just focused on the topic title for the criteria.

I think Tenchu counts either way, since there's usually multiple ways to progress through a level which provides some good exploration.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."

User Info: OlorinTheOtaku

OlorinTheOtaku
1 month ago#16
How does Tenchu compare to Shinobido?
Just because something is fictional, doesn't mean its not real.
-Find me on Twitter and Reddit @OlorinTheOtaku

Zero_Maniac
1 month ago#17
OlorinTheOtaku posted...
How does Tenchu compare to Shinobido?

It's slower paced. The emphasis isn't on combat but stealth and assassinations. You're discouraged from getting into sword fights. It's basically Metal Gear Solid but with ninja.

User Info: PStrife

PStrife
1 month ago#18
Hellboy

that one game involving the Ghost Rider

User Info: Cybuster_88

Cybuster_88
3 weeks ago#19
Although not a term I use myself, I think the cop from the Pursuit Force game fits this criteria pretty well.
https://i.imgtc.com/5RRImV1.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. Games that let you play as a badass