You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. How to start up my old PSP?

User Info: Fjoeri

Fjoeri
2 months ago#1
So I dusted off my old PSP 3004. Turns out, I never removed the battery and it's all bloated. So I threw it away and ordered a new one. It should arrive soon. From what I've gathered though, I should be able to start the PSP with just the power cord. However, it doesn't seem to work. No indicator lights, no starting up,... nothing. Am I doing something wrong, or am I missing something? I'd love to get this thing working again.

I remember from a few years ago that the PSP kept giving me the initial booting screen every time I used it (with setting the date and time thing) like it was the first time I used it. I think that annoyed me to the point where I put the PSP aside until now.
PSN : Fjoeri
Xbox Live : Fjoeri

User Info: sanjeust

sanjeust
2 months ago#2
The charger might be dead too.

If the PSP is completely without power it loses its date & time.
"I'm confident that, if there's a real problem [with climate change], He [God] can take care of it." - Michigan Republican congressman Tim Walberg LOL

User Info: bandit_wolf

bandit_wolf
2 months ago#3
Did the battery leak onto the system board?
~Bandit's Helpful House~ 'It's a children's game, that's why EVERYBODY cheats'
[Bandit] 3110-8327-9214 [tsv gen 7: 486, 1068, 1885, 3356]

Fjoeri
2 months ago#4
bandit_wolf posted...
Did the battery leak onto the system board?

No. Thank God it didn't. It's just really bloated, like there's air or liquid in there. The inside of the PSP seems just fine.

sanjeust posted...
The charger might be dead too.

If the PSP is completely without power it loses its date & time.

I think this might be the case. I already found a new one. Just not quite sure if it will actually fit in the slot. Fingers crossed. I simply don't trust the specs marked at online shops for Chinese third party gear.

sanjeust
2 months ago#5
Good luck!
"I'm confident that, if there's a real problem [with climate change], He [God] can take care of it." - Michigan Republican congressman Tim Walberg LOL

User Info: splendidsorrow

splendidsorrow
2 months ago#6
Same thing happened to my battery. Dead and bloated. Sounds like you need to replace your charger, though. I have 2 psps, and one of my chargers mysteriously stopped working.

sanjeust
2 months ago#7
splendidsorrow posted...
Same thing happened to my battery. Dead and bloated. Sounds like you need to replace your charger, though. I have 2 psps, and one of my chargers mysteriously stopped working.

The wire is probably damaged at some point, and the electricity doesn't travel through the wire.
(edited 2 months ago)

sanjeust
2 months ago#8
If you extend it, and try to untangle it, you might get it to work again. And experiment with it a little.
(edited 2 months ago)

Fjoeri
2 months ago#9
I got a new battery but it's the wrong size, too fat. It did fit as long as I held it in place. So, I was able to start up my PSP and it still works. The power cord doesn't however. It did nothing when I plugged it in. On closer inspection I found out my long lost cat from back then must have chewed on it. I'm sending back the battery and ordering a slim one plus a new cable. That should do the trick. It was amazing to see all those games on that little handheld. I had already forgotten about them.

sanjeust
2 months ago#10
Yeah, it is a little great device, that I love. :)
(edited 2 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. How to start up my old PSP?