• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. UMD drive won't read the discs

User Info: dani22inad

dani22inad
3 months ago#1
it's a PSP 1001 and it was working fine until today. Now it's not even trying to read the discs? Like the UMD drive isn't making a single sound. But when I start the PSP up with a game inside, the animated wave screen shows up, so it recognizes that a game is in the drive.

I'm kinda panicky about this because some weird juice from my ham, egg, and cheese bagel definitely got on the PSP when it spilled in my backpack so I'm concerned. What's worse is that this PSP isn't even mine, it's my friends.

What can I do to make the UMD drive actually try to read games? (I've tried with two different games and it refuses to attempt to read either of them but recognizes that theyre in the machine)
Hello, dead kid speaking.

User Info: BarbaricAvatar

BarbaricAvatar
3 months ago#2
Put it in the microwave for 1min, it'll dry out all the egg fat and restore full functionality.
If you ran the world, it would probably be on fire right now.

User Info: final_lap

final_lap
3 months ago#3
lol, the PSP must be vegan

tell your friend to install CFW (or do it for him and fill his system with many awesome games so he won't be too mad at you) also keep your food in a separate bag from now on.

dani22inad
3 months ago#4
@final_lap is there any way I could fix it without my UMD's being 1000% useless? and like idek if it's because of the stupid bagel cause idk what could cause this loll

User Info: dancer62

dancer62
3 months ago#5
dani22inad posted...
@final_lap is there any way I could fix it without my UMD's being 1000% useless? and like idek if it's because of the stupid bagel cause idk what could cause this loll

Since the motor isn't running, the stepper isn't moving the head, and the lens isn't clicking trying to focus:

My guess is the ribbon cables aren't making good connection, or the PSP isn't recognizing that a disc is inserted.

If it's the ribbon cable, the procedure is the same as replacing the drive, the PSP has to be disassembled all the way to the backplate. BTW, new drives are cheap, the last ones I bought were $12.

The door close switch is a common issue on PSP 2000s and 3000s, building up the door nub with a bit of tape usually solves the problem. If the switch is stuck, I might try a bit of Vaseline on a toothpick to unstick it.
If ballet was easy, it would be pointe-less
Amazingspiderman1 3 months ago#6
The only answer to this is to BRUSH!!! Brush and don’t stop til you see the white meat!!!
Gamertag: VenomousRage20x / Dallas Maverick 2017 - 2018. Tank, Tank, Tank..... and we couldn't do that right!! o(
Check if the door close button is being initiated. I had this problem on a thrift store PSP 1000 find several years ago, while it doesn't work 100% of the time, games read from the drive better.
All Your Base Belong To Us

dani22inad
3 months ago#8
@dancer62 @FinalFantasyForever what/where exactly is the door close switch/button?

I'm certain the PSP recognized that a disc was inserted because if I had a disc inserted when I turned it on, the animated wave loading screen would be up forever until I turned it back off.

The PSP somehow started working again the day after this issue first presented itself, but I'd still like to know more just in case it happens again, especially because I have no idea what truly started or "fixed" this issue.

User Info: dancer62

dancer62
3 months ago#9
Honestly, I'm not sure on the PSP 1000, I've never had door switch problems with one because of the metal frame and positive latch. The door switch is a common source of issues with the 2000 and 3000.
If ballet was easy, it would be pointe-less
FinalFantasyForever 3 months ago#10
It could also be a worn laser assembly, which at that point is not worth fixing IMO, since it's a 1000 model.
All Your Base Belong To Us
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. UMD drive won't read the discs
  • Topic Archived