• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. Help me save my PSP 1001!

User Info: -CJF-

-CJF-
3 months ago#1
1. I barely used my PSP 1001 when I got it. It sat for years, but other than that it's basically brand new. I plugged it in today with the battery in to build a charge and the battery box on the PSP popped off. Now I can't seem to get it back on and the battery seems to have a bit of curvature rather than being perfectly rectangular. I did some googling and it seems there is a known problem with PSP batteries bulging. Now I am afraid to use this battery. Is there a place to get replacement batteries for the PSP 1001 at a reasonable price?

2. It has firmware 2.00 on it. Can I upgrade the firmware to the latest 6.61 without having custom firmware already installed on it and without having a battery? For example, purely upgrading from the memory card while having it plugged in but with no battery.

User Info: PStrife

PStrife
3 months ago#2
Your PSP battery is dead, you now have to use other means to play games. No more quality battery replacements exist now either, those are the annoying times we live in.

For now you are better off just keeping it tethered with it's AC to a outlet. If you buy a later physical game you will get a software update, just go that route. Besides it isn't that important at this point.

-CJF-
3 months ago#3
Yeah I figured the battery is dead. I don't mind using the AC adapter or a power bank, but I need to be able to update the firmware to 6.60 or 6.61. Is there a way to do it without a battery?

User Info: HighwayPilot

HighwayPilot
3 months ago#4
Is there an issue with updating the firmware without a battery? I'm pretty sure it worked when I tried it using just the AC adapter back in the day.

-CJF-
3 months ago#5
Were you already on custom firmware? It tells me my battery level is too low (there is no battery in the PSP because it bloated on me). I've ordered a replacement but I have my doubts it will work. It seems too cheap but I don't want to spend $30 on a battery + charger to have it not work anyway. It doesn't seem there are any good reliable third party batteries so I just ordered this one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA67049E5244&Description=psp%20battery&cm_re=psp_battery-_-9SIA67049E5244-_-Product

hopefully it works. If anyone knows a way to do the update w/o the battery though, please post!

User Info: Jack Talk Thai

Jack Talk Thai
3 months ago#6
Annoying as it is, you'll need the battery, as far as I know. But it's worth it to get one, I used one with almost no charge when I did it.
My FREE monthly superhero webcomic!
http://theill.webcomic.ws/comics/314/

-CJF-
3 months ago#7
Yeah I tried without the battery but no luck. To make matters worse, the battery I ordered above is taking FOREVER to arrive from China and they gave me a fake tracking number, so I ordered a crappy alternative on Amazon. As long as it lets me update I don't even care if it keeps working.

-CJF-
3 months ago#8
As soon as I ordered a different battery on Amazon, the battery I ordered from Newegg finally showed up with the tracking number... Guess I'll have 2 generic batteries that are likely 600 mAh even though they say 3600 on the case.

Anyhow... does anyone know if I need to charge the battery before doing the update? I'll have it plugged in the whole time of course.

-CJF-
3 months ago#9
Luckily the battery worked even though it only keeps a charge for an hour or so. Got me through the firmware update!
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. Help me save my PSP 1001!
  • Topic Archived