I have some questions about the Memory Stick

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. I have some questions about the Memory Stick

User Info: Phantom5462

Phantom5462
1 month ago#1
(NOTE: I'd prefer not to hack my PSP. So no OFW/CFW recommendations. Thank you.)

Hey, all.

Recently, I got my first PSP for my birthday. I'm very glad for it, but I am having a bit of a problem at the moment. Apparently, a Memory Stick is required, which I didn't know about until now. So of course, being the game hoarder I am, I want the largest sized memory stick I can get my hands on. The only problem is that the system seems to have a limit on how much space you can have, which is fine and all, except I don't have any idea what this limit is, no matter how much I search. At best, I get several, different responses, so...

So I came to ask you all, what is the maximum possible size acceptable by the PSP? Whether it be by a standard SD card, or an adpater. All I want is the most bang for my buck here, as I see myself getting a respectable handful of games later down the line. Thanks for any input!
Have at Thee!

User Info: mad9671

mad9671
1 month ago#2
Somewhere in PSP boards years ago that I read that PSP can support memory cards/sticks upto 2 TB (yeah, 2 terabytes). But , I still haven't come across a 2TB memory stick or card so far !.

If money is not the concern, then you can get Sony memory stick pro duo 32 GB card (official largest memory size) for PSP 1000,2000,3000 series ;or a 16GB(officially largest) Sony M2 card if yours is a PSP GO.

If you want to save money, you can try Sandisk or any other company memory stick pro duo!
To think about maximum size , an adaptor with 2 slots for 64 GB micro SD card for each slot !

It all depends on how many games you want and the total size of all those games !
One impulse from a vernal wood, may teach you more of man; Of moral evil and of good , Than all the sages can ! --William Wordsworth

User Info: Phantom5462

Phantom5462
1 month ago#3
Somewhere in PSP boards years ago that I read that PSP can support memory cards/sticks upto 2 TB (yeah, 2 terabytes). But , I still haven't come across a 2TB memory stick or card so far !.

@mad9671 Yeah, I heard about this as well, but from what I understand, it requires jailbreaking/hacking your system to allow that ridiculous amount of space, space that under other, normal circumstances in currently unreachable.

My question is: Will two 64GB micro SD's work together in an adapter? I'm thinking of getting a duel-slot adapter for maximum space, and I managed to find a 64GB micro SD for said slots. So would these together actually give me 128GB? Or is there a limiter set in place? Besides, I've heard others say they've used single 64GB micro SD's, but the system ends up only allowing ~59GBs of actual use. Some say it's just a compromise for the system to work better, what with it using a few of the GBs to help it run better. Would two micro 64GBs give me ~123GBs of space, or still only give me 59, and the rest is wasted?
Have at Thee!

User Info: dancer62

dancer62
1 month ago#4
The only disadvantage of large memory in the PSP is a slight delay of a second or two in accessing the directory when you get above 64gb. I like 64+32 for 96 and dual 64s for 128. I haven't tried single or dual 128s yet.

I prefer Sandisk microSDs in generic single or dual adapters. I've never had a failure with any memory cards other than Sony, even when a cheap dual adapter cracked I held it together with Scotch tape for a couple of years before replacing it. The only memory card failures I've had are the official Sony-branded MagicGate MSDuo.

14 PSPs, 2 dozen memory cards, 10 years.

BTW, the "shrinkage" in memory card size is due to the method of calculating megabytes: one advertised mb is actually 1048kb. So a "64gb" card is really 59gb, a "32" is really 29, etc. The overhead for directory and formatting is minimal.
If ballet was easy, it would be pointe-less

User Info: mad9671

mad9671
1 month ago#5
@dancer62 , regarding "Sony-branded Magic Gate MSDuo memory card failures", I hope you know that fake Sony-branded Magic Gate MSDuo memory card/sticks exist !
A couple of months ago I came across a fake Sony 8gb Pro Duo , yeah everything was exactly same as Original Sony one , even the packaging except for a slightly pale red colour packaging when compared to the original , and some CE marking at the back of card the fake one had !
I am still comparing other aspects of that card now, gameplay wise . Both had Made in Taiwan at back ! So it's very difficult to see only the card and compare. Almost same !
One impulse from a vernal wood, may teach you more of man; Of moral evil and of good , Than all the sages can ! --William Wordsworth

User Info: dancer62

dancer62
1 month ago#6
Fake? Maybe, but only if GameStop was selling fake Sony ProDuos in 2009.
If ballet was easy, it would be pointe-less
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. I have some questions about the Memory Stick

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived