• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. Are there PSP games that have animated flowing hair and dresses?

User Info: pwwnd123

pwwnd123
1 year ago#1
So I've been trying to analyze Miyamoto's argument of why they couldn't make Peach playable in New Super Mario Bros. Wii due to being harder to animate her dress or flowing hair or something which is why they scratched that idea, I've wanted to see if there are games on the PSP that did feature a female character as playable character be able to animate the dress and flowing hair. This also includes fighting games that are similar to Smash Bros and whatnot.

I know that Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles had a female playable character that wore a dress in the original game that it was remaking. They couldn't implement the dress so they had to sacrifice that and redesign her so they could implement her.
A 2000s era gamer who grew up with retro technology from the 90s.

User Info: final_lap

final_lap
1 year ago#2
Peach was playable in Smash Bros Melee and Smash Bros Brawl, so if Miyamoto really did say that then he was probably just making up excuses in order to dodge accusations of misogyny. =p

Anyway, to answer your question, I can't seem to recall any PSP games with flowing hair, or any games with flowing clothes either such as capes or scarves. All I know is that Gravity Rush has it but that's for Vita, and that PS2 wrestling games have male characters with flowing hair, but I don't know if that was carried over to the PSP versions. Maybe it's worth looking into?

User Info: Lightwarrior11

Lightwarrior11
1 year ago#3
Japanese game developers are reported as saying all kinds of ludicrous things in interviews with American magazines. I think it is usually due to weak English, hasty translation, unprofessional paraphrasing, or all of those plus weird senses of humor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd0T6SjHejw

User Info: OlorinTheOtaku

OlorinTheOtaku
1 year ago#4
I cant really tell what the TC is asking, are you asking if the PSP is powerful enough to have 3D physics based hair & clothing?

Star wars Force unleash had that & full blown physics based environment destruction, Tomb Raider anniversary had it for Lara's hair, I think Soul Caliber & Tekken had it too. There were other games that also had it, the PSP is definitely powerful enough for that.

As for Nintendo not including Peach... hmm, that's just pure laziness as far as I can tell. Even Super Mario bros. 2 on NES had her (in 2D) as a playable character & she's been playable (in 3D) in Super Smash bros games.
"Just because something is fictional, doesn't mean its not real." Find me on Twitter: @OlorinTheOtaku

User Info: presea_lover

presea_lover
1 year ago#5
Tekken 6 had footprints, cloth and hair. Not sure how convincing it was.

God of War had cloth physics IIRC.
"If less is more, just think how much more more will be!" - Dr. Frasier Crane
http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=presea_hater

pwwnd123
1 year ago#6
OlorinTheOtaku posted...
I cant really tell what the TC is asking, are you asking if the PSP is powerful enough to have 3D physics based hair & clothing? .

I was talking more in the sense with female characters in a skirt and whatnot like Peach with long flowing hair in. I know that Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP had Maria Renard as a playable character but they had to sacrifice the dress and give her a low ponytail to make her playable due how tough it was to keep the original design intact according to Koji Igarashi. I think Nintendo was going have the same problem in making Peach be playable in New Super Mario Bros. Wii as far as what Miyamoto said. But unlike Konami, Nintendo scrapped that idea entirely instead of making sacrifices.

User Info: OlorinTheOtaku

OlorinTheOtaku
1 year ago#7
^ Talk about a late reply...
"Just because something is fictional, doesn't mean its not real." Find me on Twitter: @OlorinTheOtaku

pwwnd123
1 year ago#8
OlorinTheOtaku posted...
^ Talk about a late reply...

Yeah

Also I find it quite odd that Super Mario Run has managed to make Peach a playable character and that's on more powerful graphics hardware that's more powerful than the PSP and PSVita, and even the DC, GCN, original Xbox and Wii. .
okay....
All Your Base Belong To Us

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
1 year ago#10
The PSP was barely powerful enough, I guess. I seem to recall Star Wars Force Unleashed having frame dips during high action, but I think it did have rather advanced physics.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. Are there PSP games that have animated flowing hair and dresses?
  • Topic Archived