• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. What did you play on psp today?

User Info: Adam_Ace

Adam_Ace
1 year ago#81
presea_lover posted...
SF Alpha 3 MAX as always. Wish we got even more fighting games on the PSP.

Agreed, honestly all the PSP fighting games including Alpha Max 3, Tekken 6 and BlazBlue Calamity Trigger are extremely well done... luckily the PS Vita did a great job with it's Video Game library indeed better than any other genre.

I've been playing 2 games within the past week... God of War: Chains of Olympus and God of War: Ghost of Sparta and let's get one thing straight both entries are really good entries in the God of War series.

Chains of Olympus has a really well told story with excellent pacing which takes place after the first game and essentially the dream god Morpheus has removed the light of the sun and plunged the entire world into Darkness and Kratos is tasked by Athena to save Helios and bring the Sun back. Over the course of the game it's revealed that Persephone the Wife of Hades wants to rule Olympus teaming up with Morpheus to unleash a titan named Atlas to achieve her goal. We also learn about Kratos's life (or more specifically his daughter) before being betrayed by the gods in what is actually a pretty emotional conflict for Kratos.

The games level design is absolutely fantastic with one area leading to another seamlessly and if I were to compare to anything it sort of reminds me of Devil May Cry one for some reason. If I were to fault the game for anything it would be it's lack of bosses which for the God of War series is a fairly odd complaint for me to make but the game has 3 Major villains and you only fight one of them, and Morpheus doesn't appear at all. It's a fairly small complaint since the boss fights and gameplay there is is absolutely fantastic.

God of War: Ghost of Sparta is absolutely action packed from the very start of the game and while it has less puzzles it is packing the boss fights and then some in this story. As for the story itself it essentially serves as a pre-cursor to GOW2 and details another huge part of Kratos's past involving his mother and his brother whom is revealed to be alive but being tortured by the God of Death known as Thanatos. However I find the pacing of Ghost of Sparta to be incredibly strange in that there's never a natural transition between any story event but rather you walk and story just happens to come up and it's a really weird feeling.

One thing I can't fault Ghost of Sparta for is the gameplay it's fantastic and has more unlockables than Chains of Olympus so if you wanted more of the same from the GOW series this is one you definitely want to check out. Personally I consider Chains of Olympus the more well rounded game but both are pretty fantastic in their own right.
PSN ID: Adamight 3DS Friend Code:0061-4706-8830

User Info: presea_lover

presea_lover
1 year ago#82
I like Chains of Olympus because, even though the game is tiny compared to God of War 2, it doesn't have any of "those" sections in it. You know, like Hades in the original GoW or GoW 2's platforming sections. There's no fat in CoO. You go from one great level directly to another amazing level.

Also, having so few weapons is kind of nice, because every weapon gets its own mapping and you can use them all at will whenever you wish.

Ghost of Sparta is a brilliant game too. Probably one of the best-looking on the PSP if not the best. The HD version of the game looks better than God of War 1 HD and arguably about on par with God of War II HD.
"If less is more, just think how much more more will be!" - Dr. Frasier Crane
http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=presea_hater

Adam_Ace
1 year ago#83
presea_lover posted...
I like Chains of Olympus because, even though the game is tiny compared to God of War 2, it doesn't have any of "those" sections in it. You know, like Hades in the original GoW or GoW 2's platforming sections. There's no fat in CoO. You go from one great level directly to another amazing level.

Also, having so few weapons is kind of nice, because every weapon gets its own mapping and you can use them all at will whenever you wish.

Ghost of Sparta is a brilliant game too. Probably one of the best-looking on the PSP if not the best. The HD version of the game looks better than God of War 1 HD and arguably about on par with God of War II HD.

I completely agree with you there presea lover and it really works wonders with Chains of Olympus's excellent pace. Ghost of Sparta is a game that is absolutely loaded with amazing spectacle but at the same time travelling from one area to the next in the game didn't feel quite natural mostly because like I say there was no real transition from one area to the next. I think the best way to put it is that Chains of Olympus feels like a game that had every aspect of it designed for the PSP while Ghost of Sparta was probably more ambitious and wanted to bring that high level of spectacle and bloodlusted action from the home consoles right to the handheld. Either way I don't regret the purchase of either game given how dirt cheap they are.

=)

User Info: Sinestro_Corps

Sinestro_Corps
1 year ago#84
Shining soul 2
Founder of T.B.B. Negronicus LIVES http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJF3Zrdv4tk
Ac nl FC is 3007 8257 6233

Adam_Ace
1 year ago#85
I've been....

Firstly, Half-Minute Hero... there's no glossing over this one it's a complete parody of classic RPG story telling and god damn is it entertaining. However this is much more than a parody of JRPG's since the game has 4 modes each of which with a completely different gameplay style Hero Mode plays as an RPG and you can revisit earlier of the 30 missions to gain new equipment but you can't use equipment you didn't have before taking on that mission, Villain mode plays like an SRPG Where you play as the villain, Princess mode plays as a shoot em up and Knight mode plays as an action game somewhat similar to ghosts and goblins and the idea is each mission takes 30 seconds you want to attain as much time as you can by beating as many missions as possible. The game is extremely well structured and addictive as hell.

The other... Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and for a game that originated on Wii I think we can call this an absolutely stellar port for the PSP. Firstly the game is absolutely gorgeous and even the sound effects are wonderfully crisp and authentic which really helps immerse yourself in this incarnation of Silent Hill. The odd thing is though it feels weird calling it a Silent Hill game because the game is a lot more of a Psychological Thriller than a horror but don't take that to be a bad thing because what Shattered Memories delivers it does so incredibly well. The frame rate is incredibly stable for the most part (impressive for a game with no loading transitions) and only takes a dip during the chase sequences in game of which I will say that Hospital segment can go take a running jump. Overall fantastic out of game I'd highly recommend it to those who may have found Silent Hill (the original) a little daunting and want something a lot deeper from their story.

Which leads us too... Silent Hill (Playstation Classic) and even now the original remains one of the genuinely scariest games I have ever played in my life. This game knows what it wants to do setting you on edge with it's oppressive atmosphere and incredibly intense soundtrack and I rate anyone who can beat this game because I'll be honest even on my PSP I couldn't play this game without leaving the light on. The games environmental and enemy design is incredible, the puzzles are ridiculously clever (possibly a little convoluted) and with the exception of having to make some adjustments with the PSP controls I had a great time with it.

Adam_Ace
1 year ago#86
I've started playing 2 more games now all from the PS Classics collection and they all share a certain theme..an indiscriminate hatred of pigs.

Hogs Of War
Have you ever played Worms? Have you ever played Worms 3D? Have you ever wondered what Worms 3D would be if you instead played as a group of interracial pigs and the type of humour from Conkers Bad Fur Day? Good, then you'll be able to dive right into Hogs of War. The aim of the game is very simple, blow up as many enemies as you can with as many extremely over the top weapons as possible varying between Pistols, Rifles, Bazooka's, Rocket Launchers, TNT, Cluster Bombs, Shotguns, Flamethrowers and many, many more. This game has always been one I absolutely adore and that's primarily because of how many memories you can get from it often times by doing things by complete accident. The controls are somewhat outdated (has analog support but D-pad suits this one much better) but the games absolute golden star goes to it's wonderfully charismatic voice acting which really gives this game a personality of it's own.

Tomba
Have you ever played Rayman? Have you ever wondered what Rayman would be like if instead of simple platforming and saving electoons the game slapped you around the head with quirky side quests and...wrestling pigs? Good then you'll have a fair idea of what Tomba has in-store. The game is unlike any other platformer out there in that platforming is only half the challenge, what sets Tomba apart is that if you want to proceed you've got to figure things out, find which items you need, figure out how to navigate the map and find secrets and complete side-quests which is extremely uncommon in 2D platformers. The game is wonderfully weird and wacky and thanks to the PSN very cheap I highly recommend it to those who love platformers with real personality (and those like taking shrooms).

User Info: Cybuster_88

Cybuster_88
1 year ago#87
I recently beat Spider-man 2.
"Every day is a gift you've been given make the most of the time every minute you're livin'." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXardqLLI_M

User Info: dancer62

dancer62
1 year ago#88
WRC: FIA World Rally Championship. Just did a review for WRC5 on the Vita, and was wondering how the PSP game compared, so dug out the UMD and played.
If ballet was easy, it would be pointe-less

User Info: Cybuster_88

Cybuster_88
1 year ago#89
dancer62 posted...
WRC: FIA World Rally Championship. Just did a review for WRC5 on the Vita, and was wondering how the PSP game compared, so dug out the UMD and played.

Still didn't beat the last two countries; tracks were sort of a pain. Game is fun, but being stuck with the same one car the whole season is kinda lame. Some car detail and enhancements also would have been nice.
"Every day is a gift you've been given make the most of the time every minute you're livin'." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXardqLLI_M

User Info: Kanon209

Kanon209
1 year ago#90
Which psn classics do you guys Like to play? I'm replaying Grandia and it's awesome!
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. What did you play on psp today?
  • Topic Archived