Top 10 PSP Games by PSP Board Regulars

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. Top 10 PSP Games by PSP Board Regulars

User Info: Vysion_of_books

Vysion_of_books
2 years ago#71
dancer62 posted...
So, if you could ONLY have ten PSP games, would DJ Max take precedence over Patapon 2? I don't think so, but I'm willing to be convinced.

You know, if I were phrasing it as the best game of the two in the rhythm category, I would go with DJ Max. However as purely an essentials list, Patapon 2 would instead be in my top ten as it better captures the essence of playing on the PSP (like LocoRoco 2 whose controls are using only the triggers).

I'm not the best for writing a review. Sorry.
-Vysion_of_books, vision with one i

User Info: Cybuster_88

Cybuster_88
2 years ago#72
Vysion_of_books posted...

Eh, that didn't stop me. XD
Too lazy to think up a new signature so I decided not to change it.

User Info: dancer62

dancer62
2 years ago#73
dancer62 posted...
So, if you could ONLY have ten PSP games, would DJ Max take precedence over Patapon 2? I don't think so, but I'm willing to be convinced.

You know, if I were phrasing it as the best game of the two in the rhythm category, I would go with DJ Max. However as purely an essentials list, Patapon 2 would instead be in my top ten as it better captures the essence of playing on the PSP (like LocoRoco 2 whose controls are using only the triggers).

Okay. Yeah, I broke up the categories that way to resist having too many of one type of game. If it was just MY top ten, it would have two Monster Hunters, Gods Eater Burst, three GTAs, three racers, Ace Combat, no RPGs or compilations.
If ballet was easy, it would be pointe-less

dancer62
2 years ago#74
Cybuster_88 posted...

ROFL! They look good!

User Info: Kanon209

Kanon209
2 years ago#75
I'd like to recommend The Warriors, The best beat' em up this system haves, it's a port it is but.. it's a damm pretty perfect port, everything from the consoles is here handheld, the music is great the feels from 70s songs are here , the story it's the same from the cult movie from 1979 with the same name.

The games takes about 30 to 40 hours to fully finish 100%( very long for a beat em up) doing all side missions and stuff, there's also freeroam(small town but okay) you can replay missions later to do the secondary missions or just replay the mission to mess around like an extended freeroam session, there's multiplayer co-op and versus and you can even create your own gang and fight against A.I or friends in various multiplayer modes.

dancer62
2 years ago#76
Kanon209 posted...
I'd like to recommend The Warriors, The best beat' em up this system haves, it's a port it is but.. it's a damm pretty perfect port, everything from the consoles is here handheld, the music is great the feels from 70s songs are here , the story it's the same from the cult movie from 1979 with the same name.

The games takes about 30 to 40 hours to fully finish 100%( very long for a beat em up) doing all side missions and stuff, there's also freeroam(small town but okay) you can replay missions later to do the secondary missions or just replay the mission to mess around like an extended freeroam session, there's multiplayer co-op and versus and you can even create your own gang and fight against A.I or friends in various multiplayer modes.

Good game, can you write a punchy one-liner for it for Honorable Mention?

User Info: joelang12

joelang12
2 years ago#77
Cybuster_88 posted...

Or me
If you believe in Jesus and are 100% proud of it put this as your sig

dancer62
2 years ago#78
Youse guys are just way too modest!

User Info: Metastase

Metastase
2 years ago#79
Are you guys sure MH should be on this list in the 1st place considering it appeals more to core gamers?

My personal pick for an ARPG would be Phantasy Star Portable 2. I'm sure others would prefer Untold Legends or Dungeon Siege though.

As far as the Lesser Known list, there HAS to be a spot for Gladiator Begins. It's probably the poster child of PSP hidden gems bar none.

Anyways, here is my personal "10 essential PSP games" list (meaning I'm not aiming for a common ground, it really is just a list of the 10 PSP games I'd pick if I couldn't have any others):

- Valhalla Knights 2
- Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix
- Phantasy Star Portable 2
- Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman
- GTA Liberty City Stories
- Harvest Moon Boy & Girl
- Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
- Thrillville: Off The Rails
- Hot Shots Tennis: Get a Grip
- Worms: Battle Islands

Phew! That was hard but I'm happy with the outcome. The only things missing that I wanted to include is a Soccer game, the 1st Untold Legends (or Alien Syndrome since I don't think my ARPG picks fulfill the role of a Diablo clone) and Sid Meier's Pirates which unfortunately had to be sacrificed to keep this a 10 games list.

For those curious, wall-of-text reasoning for this list:

I don't feel the need to add a Racing or Shooter game (3rd Birthday) since GTA covers them well enough (and Thrillville covers Kart Racing). Between GTA and VK2 (covering Stealth), I didn't feel Metal Gear was needed.

I know there are 2 ARPGs but not only is this my fav genre, to me VK2 is non negotiable. PSPo2 was picked over KH:BBS/Crisis Core/Untold Legends/etc due to a high enough presentation, superior gameplay, decent enough customization and superior replay value.

Between Tony Hawks, Thrillville: Off The Rails, Worms, HS Tennis and to a lesser extent GTA, casual or "easy to pick and play" games are pretty well covered. Thrillville also doubles as Virtual Life Sim and my pick for the mandatory mini-games/arcade collection. But alone it's not enough to make up for the lack of some The Sims game, which is why I had to add my "safe choice" despite being a remake:

Harvest Moon Boy & Girl (remake of Back to Nature). Covers the other half of Virtual Life simulation, incremental game design and OCD. I had considered The Sims Castaway for my Sim and Nature game but it's just not good enough to justify 1 spot on the list, so I'm happy with HM + Thrillville for Virtual Life/Dating Sim/etc instead of wasting a slot on 1 of the subpar PSP The Sims games.

FFT, ZHP and Worms offer a nice variety for Strategy games. Specifically, SRPG, Roguelike and general turn-based strategy. After thinking a lot, I've decided Worms is worth more than Valkyria Chronicles 2 on many aspects such as being more accessible, more fun, offering more replay value and also fulfilling my requirement of "game I can take out of my pockets in a Bar/Party and play with friends by passing the PSP around" (which happens all the time with me). As a side note, my DS game that fulfills this criteria is Dokapon Journey.

Tony Hawks and HS Tennis cover Sports. Why Tennis instead of Golf? Due to preference but also because Golf is partically covered by Thrillville.

GTA, VK2 and to a lesser extent Thrillville and Tony Hawks covers Open World.

User Info: Metastase

Metastase
2 years ago#80
Other games I had considered:

I don't feel Rhythm is a strong enough genre to justify 1 slot with only 10 available. As for Platformers, I had considered Tomb Raider Anniversary (3D) and Dracula X (2D) but decided against them due to lack of replay value, which already is 1 of my priorities but even more so with only 10 slots.

Power Stone 2, Dissidia 012: Their biggest strength is multiplayer. Without it, I'd rather cover my real time fighting craving via ARPGs for single player and I had already included 2 of this genre. Gladiator Begins is a game that could take PSPo2 spot but ultimately it's too short lived to be worth that slot even if the combat mechanics are superior. Same thing applies to DEF Jam and Soul Calibur/Tekken.

Other action games like Ys and MH: Same as above, lack of replay value compared to PSPo2. MH Boss fights don't generate enough diversity which hurts replayability in the long run. Considering PSPo2 S Rank enemies can either 1 shot me to death anyways (or quickly mob me), the dynamics from multiple threatening enemies generate more novel situations compared to MH. And I can in fact enter PSPo2 Multimode alone which makes enemies even harder.

Puzzle: partially covered by Thrillville but honestly I very rarely find a Puzzle game worth it on their own. Not worth 1 slot and the PSP doesn't come even close to the appealing DS alternatives as far as this genre is concerned, which is also true for...

JRPGs (turn-based). There is no PSP exclusive like DQIX or enhanced Chrono Trigger. Only average to bad JRPGs or straight dungeon crawlers. Anything a bit better is a remake (FF4, BoF3, etc) but unlike my Harvest Moon pick, they don't fulfill 1 irreplaceable niche that no other game can. The closest game I could consider is Persona 3 but honestly the combat mechanics and repetitive dungeon layout was so weak that a decent plot wouldn't justify it over any of said remakes IMO. I blame this one on the lack of high quality PSP choices here.

As for PS1 games that would easily make into the list if they're allowed (and I do have them on my PSP at all times): Urban Chaos, Darkstone, Megaman Legends 2, Soul Reaver, FF7 and FF Origins (only due to Chrono Trigger).

If CFW is considered, these games would also easily fit the list (also kept on my PSP at all times): Chrono Trigger (SNES over PS1 version), Romancing SaGa 3, Uncharted Waters 2 (New Horizons - SNES), Yuu Yuu Hakusho Tokubetsu Hen (SNES) and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64). With New Horizons there is no need for Sid Meier's Pirates.

If you add them together, this PS1 + CFW games add up to exactly 10 games too. Honorable mentions to Pokemon Emerald and Advance Wars (GBA).
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. Top 10 PSP Games by PSP Board Regulars

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived