• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Black Knight
  3. Geass R2 Ending Discussion

User Info: theflowofchi

theflowofchi
11 years ago#161
sleepy but ugh

. . . the best thing about gamefaqs is definitely the lack of an edit (b-_-) and old school text formatting of course.

do people even know WTF the word QUALIFIED means? Funny how i expressly said the opinion was unqualified and asinine, but people are reading it differently. well also quick post and no edits make things sound different than when i said it in my head perhaps.

By unQUALIFIED opinion i mean that you don't know enough about celiss and her habits to give such an opinion. It's like me telling people that John McCain is awesome in the sack. I haven't slept with him to be able to inform you properly (nor do i plan to or want to). XD

In this case, i might point out that because we all have been OT buddies for awhile we know that celiss tries to give unbiased reports, but when she's fangirling she generally admits it in the post, which if you read around, you can see lines like "but that may just be because i'm fangirling too much" or something the like. yadda yadda i could say more, but not going to.

Another example would be how people on this board would notice that i used an emote, which would suggest amusement on my part. I certainly didn't say or think the poster was asinine or unqualified; the way i wrote that sentence (and the emote) was bad though and caused unnecessary mayhem it seems, so for that i apologize.

Back on track

@Celiss
meh we are too lazy to find a private board aren't we; we shoulda done that ages ago. Geass is kinda over now too =/ Should probably give it a go sometime though. Wouldn't be bad to have a place to just randomly gather and chat.

That DVD mag stuff might be what I am referring to. I recall you said Viletta grew up in the slums; and wasn't the whole she was motivated to become a noble, and especially the she can make bentoes and is good at housework/cooking due to the fact that she takes care of her little brothers? I'll see if i can dig it up. Bah. maybe i should start archiving this stuff.

Oh and randomly, Nunnally liking peaches sounded better than pears i think =/

AmuroNT1 | Posted 10/10/2008 12:24:01 AM (#159)
Is there any indication of C.C.'s real name? :O

::is going nuts here::

=/ think I would have preferred it to be revealed in the show itself, else not at all. it was kinda a big deal since it is representative of her humanity. Seeing it in side material makes it seem like an afterthought to me. Wait . . . do you think they even ever thought up the real name for her? (~O_O)~

theflowofchi
11 years ago#162
wow just noticed the ashford spread from the magazines, (better than cam shots) and i have to wonder . . .why is Nunnally blushing? (O_O) And also, of all the shots of shirley to choose, why the one with her shirt open and bra showing (O_O)

User Info: AmuroNT1

AmuroNT1
11 years ago#163
I wanna know because it's been bugging me since...wait, hang on a second.

::goes back through the Junk Guild's Geass topic::

...Since February 2007! I don't care if it didn't come up in the show, I wanna know!

And I'm pretty darn sure it exists, since IIRC ages and ages ago Celiss told us that Fukuyama was told the name and actually said the name while recording Stage 11, the staff later blocking it out with the water drip sound.
GnBS/KoC/GFAMG/FAITH/Junk Guild/DPBT
Geass doesn't suck just because you dont pay attention. -aguero

User Info: Galvea

Galvea
11 years ago#164
Nope, C.C.'s name isn't revealed in the magazines. The CLAMP x C.C. article in NewType actually rubs it in our faces: "C.C., who ended the/her story without ever revealing her real name."

C.C.'s real name was apparently written in the script for Stage 11, and yes, Fu-kuyama was asked to say her name even though it was, IIRC, never intended to be revealed to the audience in that episode. One theory as to why they needed a recording of it -- the animating of the lip movements.

@theflowofchi:
That DVD mag stuff might be what I am referring to. I recall you said Viletta grew up in the slums; and wasn't the whole she was motivated to become a noble, and especially the she can make bentoes and is good at housework/cooking due to the fact that she takes care of her little brothers? I'll see if i can dig it up. Bah. maybe i should start archiving this stuff.

Hmm, if it's the DVD mag alt. char. preview you're thinking of, then I'm pretty sure there's no mention of siblings anywhere in it. From my saved document:

Stage 13 preview

Villetta's thoughts about what happened in Stage 12: Meeting Shirley and asking her about Lelouch

(Vengeful)

That ingrate Diethard's trying to avoid me, even after I've come so far...
Tch, is this his way of telling me he has no use for the Purist Faction, now that we're nothing but has-beens?
Zero -- the person who derailed the course of my life, not to mention Jeremiah's and Kewell's.
And then there's his collaborator -- Lelouch.
If only to never again return to the slums, I--

[I guess this explains why Villetta knows how to put together a meal from random bits found in Ougi's fridge. She's had a hard life, and I can see why the thought of throwing everything she's worked so hard to get to live in a run-down place with a Number really disgusts her...]

And I'm honestly touched by your trying to defend me. ;___; Thank you.

*goes for dinner*
Currently playing: The World Ends With You (going nowhere)
Currently reading: The Dying Animal

User Info: AmuroNT1

AmuroNT1
11 years ago#165

Celiss Galvea (#164)
Nope, C.C.'s name isn't revealed in the magazines. The CLAMP x C.C. article in NewType actually rubs it in our faces: "C.C., who ended the/her story without ever revealing her real name."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. ><!

That's it, to hell with it all. She's Morgan le Fay as far as I'm concerned.

::goes back to plotting::
GnBS/KoC/GFAMG/FAITH/Junk Guild/DPBT
Geass doesn't suck just because you dont pay attention. -aguero

Galvea
11 years ago#166
Sakurai x Taniguchi x Fu-kuyama Interview, NewType November 2008

--Congratulations on the completion of "Code Geass". When did the thought "It's ended" first occur to you, Director Taniguchi?

Taniguchi: That's a difficult question. Visually, that would be after the V-edit (Video Editing) ended, because after that you can no longer do anything about it. However, in terms of the end [of Code Geass] as a project, I really don't know.

--How did the final recording session go?

Taniguchi: It was difficult for me to control myself, psychologically. Since it was the final recording session, I kept thinking "This is the end", but in terms of the actual work, I had to hold on for a little while longer.
Fu-kuyama: I was thinking "Let's record our lines in high spirits!", but that only lasted until episode 24. The final recording session was...... This might be the first out of all my works so far in which I completed the final episode without putting too much effort into it. I took it all calmly.
Sakurai: I was in a spiritual state of nothingness. More than two years have passed between the recording of the first episode and the final episode. To be involved in a project for so long is something of a rarity these days, and because of that I was also overwhelmed with feelings. Still, "Code Geass", true to its nature, ended in a cool way.
Fu-kuyama: I think the VA with the most mixed feelings when it comes to the last episode of Code Geass might very well be Hoshi Souichirou, Gino's VA. To tell you the truth, I received a phone call on the night before the recording for the final episode. I wondered who it was... and it turned out to be Hoshi-san.
Sakurai: He called me, too.
Fu-kuyama: When I answered the call, all he said was "Tomorrow's the final episode, isn't it... do your best*." (laugh) [*ganbattene]
Sakurai: He said "Do your best" to me, too. I guess he was especially attached to this show.
Taniguchi: (laugh) It's up to everyone how they want to interpret the ending, I don't mind, but for me, it was a Happy Ending.
Fu-kuyama: I, too, think it was a happier ending than expected.
Sakurai: As for me... I'm looking at things from the viewpoint of Suzaku's VA, of course, but I've been watching the show as just another audience, too. That might be why the ending was painful for me.

--Was the final episode something you thought of from the very beginning?

Taniguchi: Yes. The ending was decided upon beforehand. Although it was eventually cut, I actually had [Okouchi] write a script for episode 1, one which began with the scene of Suzaku attempting to kill Lelouch. I'm talking about episode 1 of the previous series, not R2.

--The relationship between Lelouch and Suzaku described in these 50 episodes has seen a lot of ups and downs. They've shot at each other with guns, tried to kill each other, stepped on the other's face after he humbled himself by getting on his knees......

Taniguchi: From my point of view, Lelouch and Suzaku's relationship in the previous series did not go beyond that of reunited childhood friends. It wasn't "friendship" -- they were playing at a "make-believe friendship". With R2, my intention was to show how it turned into "friendship" in the truest sense of the word. ......As for the part with the kneeling, if Lelouch hadn't done that, he might have been killed by Suzaku, and Suzaku, had he not stepped on Lelouch's face, would probably not have been able to control his rage.

<cont'd>

Galvea
11 years ago#167
<cont'd>

--Basically, it was necessary to go that far* for Lelouch and Suzaku to be able to rebuild their bonds. [*kneeling + stepping on face]

Taniguchi: It's a matter of definition, but for me, the relationship between "good friends", to put it bluntly, is one in which "they are able to change each other's soiled underwear even when they've become doddering geezers".*
Fu-kuyama: Though in my opinion, that's already crossed the line into "love" territory (laugh).

[*This line sparked an outbreak of "Eeewwww, Taniguchi", "Taniguchi's definition of friendship sets the bar too high" and "...Does Taniguchi actually have such friends?" on 2ch]

--Once again: what kind of show was "Code Geass" to all of you?

Sakurai: "Code Geass" was a stimulating piece of work, in my opinion. It suddenly appeared and swiftly took society by storm before facing its end in style. I look forward to everyone's reactions after the final episode. I'm sure all of us would like to see more of this type of original anime.
Taniguchi: I would be delighted if the viewers accepted [this show] with that thought in mind. When we first started "Code Geass", there was this sense of danger that if we don't do our best now original anime will die out completely. The way things are, there will eventually only be anime adapted from manga, games and light novels. For the sake of creating an entertaining original anime, we concentrated what skills we had and tried tacking them on little by little during the creation process. Of course, in "R2" we had to continue being aggressive. I continued working on this show feeling like a challenger. It was an enlightening experience!
Sakurai: These days, there are a lot of anime with tactical gimmicks, but "Code Geass" was strategically elaborate and daring, and was very much entertaining in a way other anime weren't. We, as members of the cast, were happy to have been part of its creation.
Fu-kuyama: They kept an iron-fisted control over the information given to us, too. We never knew what was going to happen next, not until we received the script.
Taniguchi: Once the episode directors, the animators and the VAs find out what's going to happen ahead of time, they tend to give their performances working backwards from the end result. There are times when working backwards actually makes it better, but if there is a continuous chain of turning points in the story, there are times when you subconsciously save your strength. I was afraid that would happen.
Fu-kuyama: I didn't want to know what was going to happen next. Finding out beforehand means I'll have to set the bar higher for myself, you see (laugh).

<cont'd>

Galvea
11 years ago#168
<cont'd>

--Lelouch was a devil of a role to play, having to face some kind of trial every single time, huh.

Fu-kuyama: Lelouch's role is, to put it simply, the chief villain, and Suzaku is the hero. Watching Lelouch use his Geass and prepare the legwork of his strategies with all his heart and soul makes you feel like pitying him.
Taniguchi: Really, I had no idea creating an evil organization of the likes of "Shocker" [*from Kamen Rider] could be so much work (laugh). It's a lot of effort, truly. Here you are, desperately planning some kind of gambit, and "BAM!", the hero appears and everything goes to pieces.
Fu-kuyama: "Code Geass" is a story seen from the side of an evil organization, isn't it? If you were to see the world through a different point of view, a different kind of logic would come into focus. For example, if you were to consider Marianne and Emperor Charles's actions from their point of view, nobody would be able to say they were wrong.
Taniguchi: If you were to rewatch "Code Geass" with the camera on Suzaku's side, Lelouch would be an absolute evil (laugh).
Sakurai: Who's on the side of justice? Who's evil? It all depends on your position and point of view. Telling the story in this manner was very interesting.
Fu-kuyama: I realized that the viewers don't work according to the logic of "justice" and "evil" when choosing which characters to empathize with.

--Lastly, I'd like to ask each of you which episode left the biggest impression.

Fu-kuyama: It has to be episode 9 of "R2" for me. The conversation when Lelouch snatched Tenshi-sama away from Xingke -- in response to "You devil--!!", Lelouch answers "Ho, is that so?". I thought it was a fantastic exchange.
Sakurai: As for me, it's the final episode of "R2". It lingers on in your heart. The characters' resolve came through loud and clear, and it really got to me.
Taniguchi: All the episodes are important to me, so I can't choose one. If I had to say something... at the end of the recording session of the final episode, the staff, on their own initiative, gave out flowers to all of the cast members. I was happy to see that "Code Geass" has its own special place in the hearts of the staff and cast who have been involved [in the project] for so long. Thank you all for the hard work!
All: Thank you for the hard work!!

END

If anyone's wondering about the caption posted on 2ch, the one about the epilogue, it's real. Just for the sake of completion:

Taniguchi: "I won't risk saying what the epilogue meant. I would be happy if the viewers would think for themselves."

I'm beginning to wonder if Taniguchi isn't actually saying "think whatever you like", but rather, "you have a brain, use it". In a surprise interview, a noticeably annoyed Taniguchi, having been called away without prior notice from his work on GunxSword, gives the young lady interviewer a hard time when, in response to her "So, what's the theme of GunxSword?" he tells her "You dare call me out without first doing your homework!?".

Later on, Taniguchi says "It's hard to explain, so let's just pretend it's Love", which resulted in the long-running "It's LOVE" fad on 2ch. What's the theme of Infinite Ryvius / S.cry.ed / Planetes / GunxSword / Code Geass? It's LOVE.

Galvea
11 years ago#169
I'm going off to sleep, so I don't have the time to translate the entire Okouchi interview now. I may or may not show up again tomorrow, depending on how Kyuudou practice goes.

theflowofchi
11 years ago#170
have fun at practice, try not to shoot anyone XD

thanks for the translation. luck on mids and such too.

Hmm, about the Viletta thing, yeah now i'm confused, but i'll see what i can find.
  1. Boards
  2. Black Knight
  3. Geass R2 Ending Discussion
  • Topic Archived