You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Nintendo
  3. Your 5 best looking SNES games

User Info: 2001mark

2001mark
2 months ago#1
1. Donkey Kong Country 2... magical bursts all over the place. Haunted Hall is my fav, the ghost Kackles are breathtaking.
2. SMW2: Yoshi's Island... apex of side scrolling platforming. Everything & the kitchen sink, wonderous feast for the eyes.
3. Chrono Trigger... so much eye candy in every single sequence.
4. Super Metroid... perhaps no other SNES game looks as perfect for its game's vision as this.
5. Batman Returns... such welcome richness & tonal presentation. Large generous sprites.

User Info: uffbulle

uffbulle
2 months ago#2
Chrono Trigger
SMW2: Yoshi's Island
Secret of Mana 2/Seiken Densetsu 3
Secret of Evermore
Ganbare Goemon 2-4

HM:
Magical Quest 3
Wild Guns
Pocky & Rocky
Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 2
Mega Man X 2-3
R-Type III
Shin Kidou Senshi Gundam W: Endless Duel
Hagane
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Front Mission: Gun Hazard

Mega Man X
Earthworm Jim 1-2
Super Metroid
Pocky & Rocky 2
Super Turrican 2
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Donkey Kong Country/DKC 1-3
TMNT: Tournament Fighters
Street Fighter II Turbo & Super Street Fighter II
TMNT: Turtles in Time

Batman Returns is a good pick, but the cutscenes look kinda goofy and out of place, and the overall animation is somewhat lacking.
http://minirevver.weebly.com - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, guides and more.
http://www.favslist.com/users/Alianger/184/about/games/played - Played games

User Info: bruplex

bruplex
2 months ago#3
Final Fantasy III
Demon's Crest
Super Metroid
Donkey Kong Country 2
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
Use your computer mouse to navigate the internets. Be sure to talk to everyone you meet. You're sure to gain lots of valuable information.

User Info: WizardofHoth

WizardofHoth
2 months ago#4
My Top 5 good looking games

Big Sky Trooper
Super Return of the Jedi
Judge Dredd
Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars
Tetris 2

User Info: ZoqFotPik

ZoqFotPik
2 months ago#5
Some additions to a lot of great mentions:

1-Metal Warriors
A lot of detail goes into the sprites and the destructable environments

2-Vortex
The SNES pushing as many polygons as it can('t). Honorable mention to the homebrew Starfox w/FX2 chip embedded instead of the FX1 chip.

3-Seiken Densetsu 3
Just wanted to mention again, for all the huge and colorful bosses, environments, and just sprites running around the screen (even that lone Zero that has to catch up).

4-Wonder Project J
A point-n-click adventure that looks like an animated TV episode.

5-Axelay
Those overhead stages were great uses of scaling, both to tilt the world and to pastiche together the bosses.

-Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: the Fighting Game
Using the same marionette rigging method Gundam Wing: Endless Duel and Street Fighter Alpha 2 used to chain backgrounds along with sprites to create a fluidly moving giant robot.

-Rendering Ranger (R2)
Part Turrican, part Donkey Kong Country. Created by a very small team at the very end of the SFC lifespan.

-Mega Man X3
Does a lot of background tricks from X2 plus the wireframes and juggling Zero's unique sprites.

-Parodius 3: Gokujou Parodius
Running audio aside, there is a lot of crap flying around just like R-Type III or Pocky & Rocky, plus there are those speedster stages.

-Far East of Eden Zero, Tales of Phantasia, Terranigma, Tactics Ogre
There is a lot of audio in these games as well, but visually they were incredibly lush.

-Wolfenstein
A beyond proof-of-concept model. It was a big deal this (and Doom) worked at all. W3D looked a lot cleaner, though Doom tried a lot more.

-Indiana Jones
Like the other LucasFilm properties (Star Wars, ZAMN, Metal Warriors), a lot of detail is captured and put into game form.

-Lester the Unlikely
Another rotoscoped game (Out of This World, Nosferatu, Prince of Persia), but this one has a special mention by me for the way it treats the hero (unlike every other mammal in the game -- which look horrible and rubbery). Like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, the protagonist goes through several redesigns as you progress through the game (in PoP:SoT, he comes more shirtless; Lester stands up taller and moves better).
I am not the FOT!
~~the Zoq, the Fot & the Pik~~
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: HighwayPilot

HighwayPilot
2 months ago#6
Pop'n TwinBee
Final Fantasy VI
Stunt Race FX
Dracula X
The Adventures of Batman & Robin. The animations are great and I like the graphics better than those of Batman Returns which are a little off.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: ArcFan10000

ArcFan10000
2 months ago#7
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG
Earthbound
Super Turrican 2
Turtles 4 Turtles in Time

Runner ups:
Contra 3 The Alien Wars
Demons Crest
Pilotwings
FZero
Super Mario Kart
Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong Country 1,2, and 3
Killer Instinct
Favs: Star Ocean, Final Fantasy,Tales series PSN: Brian_2030, Xbox Live: SEGAnerd776
Waiting For: Final Fantasy 7 Remake
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: creep50

creep50
2 months ago#8
i don't know..

but i will say that despite which games has the ''best graphics'' in a technical sense.. i have always found the sprite work and the colours of SNES to be the most appealing out of any console

like earthbound and Yoshi's island, they are breathtaking in a special way

Mario world in my opinion is a lost potential tho, the sprite work was considerably worse then in Mario 3
San Andreas > > > > > > > > >Desert Bus > > > > > > > >GTA 4

User Info: ilfait

ilfait
1 month ago#9
Super Metroid
Final Fantasy VI
Yoshi's Island
F-Zero
Link to the Past

User Info: Balance005

Balance005
1 month ago#10
A friend of mine asked me the very same question while we played. I simply showed him A Link to the Past, which i think is very subtly done, especially for a 1991 game. But i guess later games did better.

Earthbound is so cute.

What they did on Yoshi's Island was unique.

Biker Mice From Mars looks REALLY good too, especially the second course with its bright blue and yellow colors.

Clock Tower. Dario Argento's influence is felt and i'm not just talking about the storyline : the shadows, the colors... Beautiful.

Another game that really impressed me is Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow. A lot of these Disney games are really great visually but this one may be the most beautiful 2D platformer i ever seen on the SNES. And damn well animated too, technically this is astounding. I still haven't really played it though !
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Super Nintendo
  3. Your 5 best looking SNES games