Why are Super Famicom games so cheap when compared to their NA counterparts?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Nintendo
  3. Why are Super Famicom games so cheap when compared to their NA counterparts?

User Info: ovattsugkh

ovattsugkh
1 year ago#1
Did they just manufactured more copies for the Japanese market?
Friendships a fairy tale . Respect and fear are the best you can hope for.

User Info: BlackMageFelix

BlackMageFelix
1 year ago#2
Possibly that and they don't have the same demand for out of date software as we do here.

User Info: Arguro

Arguro
1 year ago#3
Most are available in abundance, there isn't nearly as big of a collector's market, and quite a few of them are difficult, if not impossible for people outside of Japan to play due to the language barrier.

User Info: rhoadsofrock

rhoadsofrock
1 year ago#4
Arguro posted...
, and quite a few of them are difficult, if not impossible for people outside of Japan to play due to the language barrier.

True, but if you've played or know the games well (take an RPG for example, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy VI or Super Mario RPG), you can still get through the games I imagine.

But yeah, for those that have never played the games before, I would not recommend getting the japanese versions unless you know the language.

User Info: ovattsugkh

ovattsugkh
1 year ago#5
The thing is a recently picked up Secret of Mana and FF VI from ebay just because they were really cheap and the boxes and instruction manuals look great. I can always play the games on virtual console, PS1-4 or several other ways.

Sure it may be weird to collect games in a language I can't understand but I may try this!
Friendships a fairy tale . Respect and fear are the best you can hope for.

User Info: ReyVGM

ReyVGM
1 year ago#6
Most Japanese people live in small houses, so they really don't have the space to collect and hoard stuff. Thus, less demand.
VGMuseum.com is getting sexy updates again!

User Info: minchew91

minchew91
1 year ago#7
I mainly buy sfc games when it comes to the expensive games, then I'll run it with a translation patch on my Retron 5. It's saved me probably close to $1000 or more at this point.
Now playing: , DBZ:Battle of Z, , Child of Light, DQ 3, Parasite Eve
Last games finished:Diablo 3, Pokemon Moon, Fable 3 RE:R 3DS, DQ VII

User Info: Zacek

Zacek
1 year ago#8
ReyVGM posted...
Most Japanese people live in small houses, so they really don't have the space to collect and hoard stuff. Thus, less demand.

That's a good poinnt, and the reason why games like Rock Band never got released there.
Final Fantasy was in 2D? I thought the number 7 was just a metaphor for something .... - Cbaker216

User Info: ItchyIsVegeta

ItchyIsVegeta
1 year ago#9
My guess is it had a longer life span. Which is the reason they got Mega Man and Bass there, after Mega Man 8 came out on PS1 and Saturn.
XBOX Gamertag: ITCHYisVegeta
  1. Boards
  2. Super Nintendo
  3. Why are Super Famicom games so cheap when compared to their NA counterparts?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived