• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sega CD
  3. Why Did The Sega CD Fail?

User Info: jojopellegrino

jojopellegrino
4 years ago#1
What were some of the main reasons behind its demise?

It was one of the first mainstream CD based game consoles.

Could it be that it was it ahead of it's time? CD's were around for several years by the time the console came out but were still generally expensive to purchase in the early 90s....
Recanize a real don when ya see one

User Info: Arguro

Arguro
4 years ago#2
I think one of the biggest problems was the fact that it was an add-on for the Genesis, meaning that only people who already owned a Genesis could use it. That limited the potential purchasers. If it had been its own stand alone system, it probably would have had marginally more success. $300 in the early 90s for a system that was only usable with another $200 system was a lot of money to spend (hell, it still is today).

It is quite possible marketing was another issue. Even though my family was a Nintendo family back then, I was fully aware of the Sega Genesis, but I did not know about the Sega CD until the late 90s when I found one at a yard sale. I fell in love with the system and really wish I had known and owned it sooner. I suppose it is quite possible that since I didn't own the Genesis, I just skipped everything about it in every issue of GamePro I had.

I am willing to bet that the model 1 and model 2 redesign didn't help. I am sure that, especially before the internet could answer questions like it, people were unaware that they were the same system, just different designs. People may have though (and some still do today) that the model 1 Sega CD worked only with the model 1 Genesis and vice versa for the model 2. People sitting on their original 1989 Genesis looked at the Sega CD in 1993 and thought they didn't have the correct compatible Genesis system.

I am sure there are all sorts of contributing factors.

User Info: EvilResident

EvilResident
4 years ago#3
@Arguro good post there.
---
  1. Boards
  2. Sega CD
  3. Why Did The Sega CD Fail?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A

Sega CD on Sega Saturn? General1 Answer
Sega CDX broken power cable ? General3 Answers