• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation
  3. PS1 on an HDTV?

User Info: LordJackal

LordJackal
4 years ago#1
So, I've heard vaguely about some type of adapter or device which allows one to connect old consoles to an HDTV through the HDMI port. Is there such a device that works with an original Playstation, and if so, what is it called?

I am almost 100% oblivious to this stuff, so I apologize if this question seems ridiculous.

User Info: spooie

spooie
4 years ago#2
Well, the easiest way to play a PS1 with an HDMI out to an HDTV would be to get a PS3, since it has a PS1 inside.

Other than that, you can get an upscaler. Depending on which version of the PS1 you have, you'd go for either a composite or s-video upscaler. You can get a cheap asian-assembled composite converter from Amazon for $25 or so. An S-video one will cost you more.

Or, if you want to be anal-retentive like I am, you can get an "all-in-one" upscaler that will use all sorts of different input selections (comp/s-video/component/vga/hdmi). Mine cost $150 when I got it, but the price jumped to $200 soon after.
Owner of The NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, SMS, GEN, TG16, PSX, PS2, PS3, XBOX, 360, GB, GBC, GBA SP, GB Micro, DS, DSLite, PSP and a lot of crappy games. --BLINGO!

User Info: LordJackal

LordJackal
4 years ago#3
Hrm. Well, thing is, I've got a PS3, but it went YLOD on me a few weeks ago. I got it super cheap, and honestly, I primarily used it to play PS1 games through an HDMI. I was hoping one of these upscalers would be a cheaper alternative to replacing/repairing the PS3, but apparently not, unless I want to go composite, which I don't.

So, looks like I'll just be dealing with the PS3, then. Thanks for the input, man!

User Info: Lum_Yatsura

Lum_Yatsura
4 years ago#4
Too wide of price and quality range to give a good answer.

If sparing no expense, PS1 at best outputs European RGB (like SCART).
Component was added by PS2 hardware.
3ds fc: 5026 4515 5016
We'll ion buzz to the blue stars over there!?

spooie
4 years ago#5
Well, as Lum_Yatsura state, SCART is about as high as the original PS1 will go quality-wise. But since SCART is virtually nonexistent in North America. If you're over here, you'll have to spring for the SCART wiring and an SCART converter as well if you go that route. If your TV takes PS1 signals over S-video, a cheap solution may be to use that. Even on the PS2, PS1 games have issues with component output. BUT... playing PS1 games on a PS3 via component/HDMI will be super crisp.
Owner of The NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, SMS, GEN, TG16, PSX, PS2, PS3, XBOX, 360, GB, GBC, GBA SP, GB Micro, DS, DSLite, PSP and a lot of crappy games. --BLINGO!

User Info: xOmniCloudx

xOmniCloudx
4 years ago#6
spooie posted...
Well, the easiest way to play a PS1 with an HDMI out to an HDTV would be to get a PS3, since it has a PS1 inside.

Other than that, you can get an upscaler. Depending on which version of the PS1 you have, you'd go for either a composite or s-video upscaler. You can get a cheap asian-assembled composite converter from Amazon for $25 or so. An S-video one will cost you more.

Or, if you want to be anal-retentive like I am, you can get an "all-in-one" upscaler that will use all sorts of different input selections (comp/s-video/component/vga/hdmi). Mine cost $150 when I got it, but the price jumped to $200 soon after.

Could you tell me what upscaler this you have? The best one is the XRGB mini (at least $300) but I have been looking into others. The Portta one gets mixed reviews and even the video review I saw of it wasn't that convincing. I bought a PSP to HDMI upscale device from Lenkeng which was PHENOMENAL and as such was going to buy their composite and s-video upscaler but after reading reviews upscaler (they stretch to 16:9 and only certain tvs can correct it) and seeing a video, the quality didn't seem that much different from what my TV already does. My HDTV supports composite and has a composite game mode that scales the games pretty well (they look like crap on other HDTVs I tried it on) but regardless of if I use my PS3 or any of the previous generation PS consoles, it's still obvious that they look noticeably inferior to what they would on a SDTV, especially if the image gets stretched any.

I'd like a device that gets the quality reasonably close if not on par or even better if I can help it. Otherwise I may just have to save up for the XRGB.
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.

spooie
4 years ago#7
I have the Nyrius NSW500. Got it for $149.99, before it jumped to $199.99. Amazon has it for $149.99 again.

http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-NSW500-Selector-Component-RCA-Composite/dp/B006OABU9K

Mind you, the upscaler I use is not designed for gaming. It's simply an upscaler with multiple inputs and options.

I purchased it because it suited my needs of using something that would support multiple composite, s-video and components without having to order one that does THIS and one that does THAT and so forth. It also has VGA and HDMI inputs as well. I can hook up to 6 different inputs up together simultaneously (2 VGA, 2 HDMI and 2 Composite/Component/S-Video).

I have not had the chance to try out VGA and some of the HDMI sources I have used have issues with the device (I believe due to HDCP crap). But the legacy analog inputs suit my needs well enough for pretty much anything I throw at it. I've even hooked up a TG16/Master System 2 using coax on a VCR, outputted through composite into the thing. The only "flaw" with the device I've noticed on the legacy systems is that sometimes the system has issues with interlaced "flicker" when getting hit, or from character shadows in some games. That seems common on certain devices.

The device comes with brightness, contrast, saturation, hue and sharpness settings to fiddle around with. You can also manually adjust the aspect ratio between 4:3 and 16:9, so it isn't fixed on a stretched setting that some letter upscales are, but it will give black bars on the side if set to 4:3. And you can choose between 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p (though my TV and TV Tuner will not run the 1080i option for some reason). It also has three DNR modes, but I'll be damned if I notice a difference between any of them.

I use the Elgato Game Capture HD (original model) and Hauppauge HD PVR on my iMac for the recordings. My HDTV will not allow a signal lower than 480p via HDMI to show and I was tired of splitting the signal to the TV's analog inputs and the TV Tuner on my computer. PLUS... I simply wanted to record some stuff in a higher resolution.

Results are different depending on which system and what settings are used. Mind you that some of the brightness, contrast, saturation and sharpness has been enhanced in both the upscaler and the Elgato Game Capture HD... but you can get the gist...

Trying to get Strider 2 (PS1) to run via component cables on a PS2... like MegaMan X Collection (PS2), it ain't happening...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYyrddVvtIk

Here is an example of MegaMan X Collection and Strider 2 on PS2 using the Intec S-Video cable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN6Nml3_faE

Genesis Compilation (you can see the "shadow" issues on Samurai Shodown and MMPR) using standard composite...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqFjzM5kgN4

Wolverine: Adamantium Rage (SNES) using standard composite...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQS_9kJRt0Q

Ashita No Joe (SFC) using standard composite through a Super-8 Adaptor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Gb8NMEx9M

Here is Motor Toon Grand Prix (PS1) running off a PS3 using components WITHOUT the upscaler (and only Youtube's crappy compression issues)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KivuRd5SddU

Lum_Yatsura
4 years ago#8
Yeah many HDTVs accept 240p from RF, composite, and s-video. Then not component.
I don't blame Sony. PS2's design started before wide HD adoption.

PS3 solved the issue by interlacing PS1 games when set to 480i.

User Info: SirWaWa

SirWaWa
4 years ago#9
Lum_Yatsura posted...
Yeah many HDTVs accept 240p from RF, composite, and s-video. Then not component.

ps3 forcing 480p even if 480i is available?

Lum_Yatsura
4 years ago#10
SirWaWa posted...
Lum_Yatsura posted...

ps3 forcing 480p even if 480i is available?

No. See, most PS1 games were developed in 240p.

PS2 outputs their original resolution.
PS3 however interlaces them to 480i.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation
  3. PS1 on an HDTV?
  • Topic Archived