N64 RPGs

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Gash

Gash
3 months ago#1
I'm working on my personal backlog of RPGs that goes all the way to the SNES and when I hit the N64 I'm finding that I only have 1 game from this console on my list, Aidyn Chronicles.
I played and beat Quest64 and Paper Mario back when they were new and the only other RPG that comes to mind is Ogre Battle 64(Strategy RPG).
I am working on acquiring Ogre Battle 64 for my collection still and plan to play it once I have it.
What I'm wondering is, am I missing any other RPGs or was it just these 4?

User Info: uffbulle

uffbulle
3 months ago#2
Well, there's Shiren the Wanderer 2 which is a Rogue-like RPG.

Some other games have RPG-like elements I think, like career modes in sports or fighting games, but I'm not sure which.
http://626535750121256080.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, romhacks, retro vgm tribute
http://www.favslist.com/users/Alianger/184/about/games/played - Played games

User Info: goldenraven20

goldenraven20
3 months ago#3
I've heard that Hybrid Heaven has many RPG elements, but isn't really what most people would call a traditional RPG (I've never played it). Gamefaqs lists it as an action RPG though.

User Info: mario2000

mario2000
3 months ago#4
p sure all the N64 RPGs have all been mentioned itt
Arrrr the SS Goku, Mighty fine boat... -fatmatt
Hope Frieza doesn't chuck an Iceberg at the Goku, otherwise it's all over. -Nekoslash

User Info: cawmaster5

cawmaster5
3 months ago#5
are the Gaemon games considered RPGs or naw
Indy Colts: OSU Buckeyes:

User Info: Gash

Gash
3 months ago#6
goldenraven20 posted...
Hybrid Heaven has many RPG elements

Totally forgot about that game, I remember wanting it back in the day but I think it had some delays or something and by the time it released I had forgotten all about it.

User Info: GraphG

GraphG
3 months ago#7
cawmaster5 posted...
are the Gaemon games considered RPGs or naw

Goemon? Like Mystical Ninja or Goemon's Great Adventure? I would not consider those RPGs.
I love GC especially PSO
"HUnewearls are crab infested whores." - Fossil

User Info: SimonBelmont666

SimonBelmont666
3 months ago#8
I don't honestly think the N64 has any good RPG's. SNES reigned as king for those though.

User Info: Aussie2B

Aussie2B
3 months ago#9
I wouldn't consider the Goemon games RPGs either. I do think Hybrid Heaven is one, though.

For US releases, that's about it. If you want to look into Japanese releases, there are a few more. Shiren 2 is a very nice roguelike, and Super Robot Wars 64 is a solid strategy RPG. That about exhausts the Japanese-exclusive RPGs that are particularly good, imo. There are Onegai Monsters and Zool for Pokemon-style RPGs, but the former has an absolutely horrendous frame rate that renders it nearly unplayable, and the latter is also pretty choppy. PD Ultraman is another RPG that's pretty dang bad. If you like the Robopon games that were released in English, you'd probably like Robopon 64, but it's nothing remarkable. If you want to count them, there are two Nushi Tsuri/Legend of the River King games as well. The first one is another really choppy game. I don't know about the second.
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"

User Info: Lamace

Lamace
3 months ago#10
There's Hybrid Heaven, which you can get for dirt cheep. It has some decent ideas, a variety of gameplay styles, and some decent production values. But it's a very flawed game.

I suppose it could be argued that Mega Man 64/Legends is also an RPG. While the PS1 version is superior, and the N64 version is more expensive, it's still worth looking into if you don't have access to a PS1.

There's also Gauntlet Legends, which is an arcade RPG. Very simple and mindless, but a blast to play with three friends.
RPG terms I use;
Traditional RPG, Advanced RPG, Action RPG, Strategy RPG, and Hybrid RPG

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived