N64 RPGs

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: OlorinTheOtaku

OlorinTheOtaku
6 months ago#11
If you use the Gfaq's ranking system & set it to N64, RPG's with 5+ votes ( https://www.gamefaqs.com/games/rankings?platform=84&genre=48&list_type=rate&view_type=0&dlc=0&min_votes=2 ) you literally only get 10 games... Out of those I only liked Hybrid Heaven, Mega Man 64 & Paper Mario & Mega Man 64 is just a port, not even an original game for N64. I might like Aidyn Chronicles The First Mage but I've never really bothered to try it so I'm not sure.

RPG's really were not N64's strong suit.
"Just because something is fictional, doesn't mean its not real." Find me on Twitter: @OlorinTheOtaku

User Info: Aussie2B

Aussie2B
6 months ago#12
Mega Man 64 isn't at all an RPG, imo. Great game, though. But I'd sooner recommend the PS1 version.
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"

User Info: Professor86

Professor86
6 months ago#13
Quest 64.

You can thank me later. ;)

OlorinTheOtaku
6 months ago#14
Its been ages since I played Megaman 64 but I don't remember it being stat based, why does Gfaq's list it as an RPG? Maybe I'm just remembering wrong, do the weapons maybe have stats?
"Just because something is fictional, doesn't mean its not real." Find me on Twitter: @OlorinTheOtaku

OlorinTheOtaku
6 months ago#15
Wikipedia lists it as an action adventure/Third person shooter, that's what I remember it being too. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_Legends_(video_game)

Aussie2B
6 months ago#16
Genre assignments on GameFAQs are notoriously unreliable. For one, they're user submitted, and sometimes individual users have screwy ideas on genres, or they haven't even played the game they're submitting data for (especially with Japan-exclusives). I mean, for example, Onegai Monsters isn't listed as an RPG, yet anyone who plays it can clearly see it's a Pokemon rip-off. The mainline Pokemon games are categorized as RPGs, so there's no reason Onegai Monsters shouldn't have an identical categorization. But these inconsistencies are prevalent across the entire site.
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"

User Info: Gash

Gash
5 months ago#17
Professor86 posted...
Quest 64.

You can thank me later. ;)

I mentioned Quest 64 in my first post ;P

Thanks to everyone for all the info and responses, wasn't sure how lively this board was!

User Info: Toxic_Offender

Toxic_Offender
5 months ago#18
Megaman Legends gets put under the RPG label because of how much of it involves stuff like wandering through overworld towns to talk to people, dungeon-crawling for upgrades, etc. there's a little bit of stat stuff but very little. It's more of an RPG than Ocarina of Time, and I see people call that an "action-RPG" all the time (even though I disagree).

Either way, it's not the kind of thing that comes to mind when you hear "RPG" and the N64 still has a depressingly-small library of games in that genre.
We're not hitchhiking anymore... We're riding!
http://www.last.fm/user/DToxico

Aussie2B
5 months ago#19
I'd say both Mega Man Legends and the Zelda games are squarely adventure games.

OlorinTheOtaku
5 months ago#20
^
I 100% agree. Objectively Action Adventure games.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived