Do you feel the n64 controller is bad?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 64
  3. Do you feel the n64 controller is bad?

User Info: OlorinTheOtaku

OlorinTheOtaku
3 months ago#11
Post #2 sums it all up pretty good.

The only thing I don't like about the controller is that it only has 1 analog. In FPS games, I really prefer 2.

All those "its built for people with 3 hands" arguments are so beyond stupid, so mind bendingly ridiculous, that I just laugh evey time I hear it. I imagine people who genuinely think that would also think driving a car is an impossible feat, LMAO.

"How the hell are you supposed to reach all 3 pedals, the wheel, the mirrors, the indicators & the gear shift at the same time with just 2 hands & 2 feet?"

You're not supposed to, you raving idiot.

*Genuine Laughter*
"Just because something is fictional, doesn't mean its not real." Find me on Twitter: @OlorinTheOtaku

User Info: billwalton

billwalton
3 months ago#12
I love it. The Z button and C buttons we're great design. Obviously there's a bunch of N64 games with bad controls, but I can't think of any where I'd blame that on controller. I've never had a issue with FPS/TPS controls either. I can go back to Goldeneye, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, etc. without issue. Strafting with the Cs is just like riding a bike. It comes back quickly.

They could have been a bit more durable but you can say that about almost every controller.

User Info: OlorinTheOtaku

OlorinTheOtaku
3 months ago#13
^
Sure, it works for FPS games, but I still prefer 2 analogs.

Its not just using the C-buttons for walking I don't like, but the fact that I'm walking with my right hand & aiming with my left just feels wrong for me... Its nit-picky, sure, but its still a complaint.
"Just because something is fictional, doesn't mean its not real." Find me on Twitter: @OlorinTheOtaku

User Info: goldenraven20

goldenraven20
3 months ago#14
Functionally, dual analog works better for FPS games, but two things the N64 controller has going for it in that regard are the Z-trigger, which feels like firing an actual gun, and aiming with the left hand. I usually use my thumb and left index finger on the stick to aim to give me a little more precision, which isn't really possible on a dual analog setup. The C-buttons for movement are a little clunky though.

User Info: WarGreymon77

WarGreymon77
3 months ago#15
To be quite honest, I think every Nintendo controller besides NES, SNES, and "Pro", is bad.
Creator of the official Digimon: Digital Monsters community board!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1430-digimon-digital-monsters

User Info: noidentity

noidentity
3 months ago#16
Hate this controller. Faulty analog stick that breaks down over time and is inaccurate with direction and sensitivity. I can’t tell you how many times Mario ran the wrong way whenever I leaned the stick in a specific direction. Not to mention a perfectly functional d-pad that almost never gets used. This controller is the reason I don’t enjoy n64 games as much as I’d like to.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1318223517

User Info: Aussie2B

Aussie2B
3 months ago#17
The D-pad was used a lot more by Japan-exclusive N64 games. I feel like the Western market, even more so than the Japanese market, discouraged "old-fashioned" games that were 2D and/or didn't use analog control, so a lot of those just didn't get localized.
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"

User Info: RedEagle2000

RedEagle2000
3 months ago#18
The analog stick is my only complaint with it. It's not covered with rubber like analog sticks today, can be worn out, and really isn't very good for games that have a lot of tight turns, like racing games or Rogue Squadron.

Other than that, I have nothing against and think it's a good, comfortable controller.
Please check out my retro game-themed YouTube channel, Talon The Retro Gamer: https://www.youtube.com/c/TalonTheRetroGamer

User Info: Aussie2B

Aussie2B
3 months ago#19
I'm glad the analog stick isn't made of the same materials as most others because it doesn't get all greasy. I don't know if it's because of the climate I live in or what, but basically every Dual Shock I own, despite taking care of them very well, invariably gets all oily around the sticks as the lubricant or adhesive or whatever between the thumb nub and the stick proper breaks down and runs down to the base of the stick. It always happens when I store a controller away for a while. It'll be perfectly clean when I put it away, then when I pull it out months or years later, I have to bust out a rag and the rubbing alcohol to wipe away all the gross slime before I can use it again.
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"

User Info: TheThirdDay

TheThirdDay
3 months ago#20
I'm in the camp that says the controller was poorly designed. And the N64 is my favorite console, so I've had plenty of experience with it.

Most of the points against it have already been raised, but you know why I had a big problem with it? Most people seem to hold the controller upright, with their left hand lower than their right, so the controller is forward facing. Like in this photo:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/N64-Controller-in-Hand.jpg

I cannot hold it that way. When I'm gaming, my arms naturally relax and my hands go parallel, so I end up tilting the controller to the right about 30 degrees. More like this photo:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/N64-Controller-Gray.jpg/1200px-N64-Controller-Gray.jpg
This makes the natural muscle memory my left thumb has for pushing any other joystick forward tend to pull slightly to the left on the N64, because, due to the angle at which I hold the controller, forward, in relation to my body, is a different direction than forward in relation to said controller. It throws my aim all sorts of off. I have a hard time simply walking straight; I have a bad habit of drifting off to the left.

My problem, I'm aware. But the structure of the controller is what leads me to said problem.

Also, at least in my opinion, there's no benefit to having a 2D and a 3D configuration to the controller. I'm sure Nintendo agreed, seeing as how N64 was the only console controller to ever have multiple configurations. (Outside of the Wii, but it made complete sense within the confines of motion controls.)

goldenraven20 posted...
but two things the N64 controller has going for it in that regard are the Z-trigger, which feels like firing an actual gun, and aiming with the left hand.

A) I'm right handed, so I'd pull a gun's trigger with my roght hand. Thus, using a right trigger on a modern controller is much more natural as the fire button to me.
B) Again, I'm right handed, so my right hand naturally has more dexterity. Subtle movement with the right thumb is at least as easy as the left thumb, again, to me.
Now Playing: Resident Evil: CODE Veronica X, CoD: WWII
// Smash 4 // LUIGI, LINK, Bowser, Falco, ROB
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 64
  3. Do you feel the n64 controller is bad?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived