You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NES
  3. NES games you might've inhaled as arcade games

User Info: 2001mark

2001mark
3 weeks ago#1
Hypothetically never an NES, which NES games do you think your former self might've spent tons of coins & time at an arcade on?

I think sidescrolling & RPGs would be out of my realm... here's 10 I think I might've seeked out for arcade jollies:
NES versions of course, in a non-NES universe*

Tetris
Rad Racer
Ice Hockey
Contra
Excitebike
Punch-Out!
TMNT III
Dr. Mario
RC Pro-Am II
Ninja Gaiden

User Info: Highself

Highself
3 weeks ago#2
I hardly see myself being drawn to it by the concept alone, but I know if I just tried Tetris back in the days i'd be addicted from day one. To this day when I think im booting if for a few minutes I end up playing for hours.

I was addicted to TMNT2 as we were lucky enough to have it in my town. Me and my father played this and Virtua Fighter non-stop.
- Remember... you are my number one.... uhh-guy !!

User Info: ChaseXtreme

ChaseXtreme
3 weeks ago#3
TMNT 3 definitely. I loved the original TMNT Arcade
http://i.imgur.com/Ex6coam.gif
http://i.imgur.com/hG1xDk3.gif

User Info: dark lancer

dark lancer
3 weeks ago#4
Really the only arcade games I liked enough to do that as a kid were Area 51, Galaga, Bubble Bobble, and Tumblepop. Other than Galaga and Bubble Bobble, I don't think they were on the NES.
[+JMJ] Ave Maria!
We are the Catholic Resurgence

User Info: wilysaur

wilysaur
3 weeks ago#5
I love RPGs, so I'm trying to figure out how that could've worked in an arcade format. Maybe a quarter for a set time limit or for each save. They would probably have to be on a password system, and the machine could print out a receipt with your password on it so other players wouldn't have to wait for some slow kid to write down their password (and then get angry when they came back and had made a mistake somewhere). Either that or the arcade could sell you a keycard that would load your save data. I wonder how successful something like Final Fantasy would have been in this format if there had been nothing else like it. Games like Adventures of Lolo or Legacy of the Wizard might have been cool, too, or even the original Legend of Zelda.

User Info: ArcFan10000

ArcFan10000
3 weeks ago#6
If youve heard of the Playchoice 10, it was basically Nes in the arcades.
Favs: Star Ocean, Final Fantasy,Tales series PSN: Brian_2030, Xbox Live: SEGAnerd776
Waiting For: Final Fantasy 7 Remake

User Info: suchiuomizu

suchiuomizu
3 weeks ago#7
I didn't inhale NES games, I exhaled into them.

User Info: mbd42

mbd42
3 weeks ago#8
ArcFan10000 posted...
If youve heard of the Playchoice 10, it was basically Nes in the arcades.

I used to play Playchoice 10 before I had a NES. My favorite thing was to select Punch-Out and use the code to face Tyson. The time limit was long enough for me to get my ass kicked lol.

User Info: mbd42

mbd42
3 weeks ago#9
I also remember trying Trojan on the Playchoice 10 and not having any idea what to do. It was just this weird little game where you fell into manholes and fought weird enemies.

User Info: KingMikeX

KingMikeX
3 weeks ago#10
wilysaur posted...
I love RPGs, so I'm trying to figure out how that could've worked in an arcade format. Maybe a quarter for a set time limit or for each save. They would probably have to be on a password system, and the machine could print out a receipt with your password on it so other players wouldn't have to wait for some slow kid to write down their password (and then get angry when they came back and had made a mistake somewhere). Either that or the arcade could sell you a keycard that would load your save data. I wonder how successful something like Final Fantasy would have been in this format if there had been nothing else like it. Games like Adventures of Lolo or Legacy of the Wizard might have been cool, too, or even the original Legend of Zelda.

I do remember Gauntlet Legacy(?) had a N64 memory card slot, and I think there have been more recent Japanese arcade games that allowed the user to insert some kind of storage device to save data. Maybe some Dragon Quest spinoff games?
  1. Boards
  2. NES
  3. NES games you might've inhaled as arcade games