You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NES
  3. nesplayer's NES Game of the Week #1: Castlevania III

User Info: nesplayer

nesplayer
2 months ago#1
Each week I'll pick a new game for the NES game of the week. This is just an excuse for the community to play along. If I'm pmed some ideas for future games, I may pick them.

Note to be a game of the week it doesn't necessarily have to be a good game. It can ****ing suck.

Anyway on to the game for this week. I hope to get through stage 9 for the first time without cheating. My 2nd character is Syfa
RIP Off-topic Flair May 17, 2017-May 18, 2017
ModestJ 5/20/2018 3:43:14 PM#98 Safe to turn this game off now. Back to Bar Rescue.

User Info: 2001mark

2001mark
2 months ago#2
CV3 is a near masterpiece. I also go the Syfa route.

User Info: bruplex

bruplex
2 months ago#3
CV3 with no spirit friends is one of my favorite NES challenges.
Use your computer mouse to navigate the internets. Be sure to talk to everyone you meet. You're sure to gain lots of valuable information.

User Info: Jumpman81

Jumpman81
2 months ago#4
Good luck! CV3 is an excellent game, pretty hard though. I also think Syfa is the best second character but Grant can be useful too. Alucard is just terrible. Is stage 9 the one with the Doppleganger? I usually always beat him the cheap way with continuous character switching.

I'm probably in the minority but my go-to game for a Castlevania fix has always been the first one. I've only beaten CV3 a handful of times but I've gone through the first one dozens of times.

nesplayer
2 months ago#5
I always hated the fact that you couldn't continue on A-3, that was totally unfair
ModestJ 5/20/2018 3:43:14 PM#98 Safe to turn this game off now. Back to Bar Rescue.

User Info: strikezone1

strikezone1
2 months ago#6
Good choice for your inaugural game week! Excellent game. Challenging, but forgiving with the unlimited continues & passwords.

nesplayer posted...
I always hated the fact that you couldn't continue on A-3, that was totally unfair

It adds a bit of difficulty and frustration, for sure. A-3 isn't too tough or long to get through though.

Jumpman81 posted...
I'm probably in the minority but my go-to game for a Castlevania fix has always been the first one.

I'm with ya. CV3 is a slightly better game IMO, but the original CV is shorter and more pick-up-and-play friendly.

bruplex posted...
CV3 with no spirit friends is one of my favorite NES challenges.

This is how I like to play it as well. I'll grab a spirit friend but not use them. An additional challenge is taking the tough path, i.e. the Flooded City and Cliffside.

User Info: Zzonkmiles

Zzonkmiles
2 months ago#7
If you play on hard mode, stay far far away from the sunken city with the rising water. That section is ridiculous with the fishmen and the bats swarming you from all over the place.

This is one of my favorite games of all time though. Very few complaints other than the music for the final level and the lower defense of the Grim Reaper. Oh, and Alucard's weaponry kinda sucks, but that death insurance (getting knocked in pits by bats or ravens) sure is nice!
PSN/YouTube/Twitch: Zzonkmiles (Don't listen to Ondore's lies!)
Download Final Fantasy Zz Hard-Type at http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1278/

nesplayer
2 months ago#8
yeah strangely enough, I've beaten the japan version

User Info: Black_Crusher

Black_Crusher
2 months ago#9
Did you guys ever see a real copy of CV3 at a store back then?
I bought NES games up to their final years on the shelves and never did.

I would've bought CV3 in an instant if I had.
My roguelike, Equin: The Lantern!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/547980/Equin_The_Lantern/

User Info: strikezone1

strikezone1
2 months ago#10
Black_Crusher posted...
Did you guys ever see a real copy of CV3 at a store back then?
I bought NES games up to their final years on the shelves and never did.

For me personally it's tough to recall what NES titles I did and didn't see on the store shelves back then. I know I got my copy of CV3 used from Funcoland, circa mid-90s. CV2 was the only one in the CV NES trilogy that I had as a retail purchase.

I would imagine that I would've seen it though. It is considered a pretty common game, rarity-wise.
  1. Boards
  2. NES
  3. nesplayer's NES Game of the Week #1: Castlevania III