You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NES
  3. 5 best looking NES games

User Info: bruplex

bruplex
2 months ago#11
I'm revisiting Little Samson this week and it really is a sharp game visually. Backgrounds, design, and animation are all top-notch. I don't know much about the developer, Takeru, other than Wikipedia mentions: "The game is directed by Shinichi Yoshimoto, who had previously worked on Strider and Ghouls 'n Ghosts."
Use your computer mouse to navigate the internets. Be sure to talk to everyone you meet. You're sure to gain lots of valuable information.

User Info: HighwayPilot

HighwayPilot
2 months ago#12
bruplex posted...
I'm revisiting Little Samson this week and it really is a sharp game visually. Backgrounds, design, and animation are all top-notch. I don't know much about the developer, Takeru, other than Wikipedia mentions: "The game is directed by Shinichi Yoshimoto, who had previously worked on Strider and Ghouls 'n Ghosts."
The developer only made a couple of games, and Little Samson was their only western release. They did make another famicom game Cocoron (https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes/566145-cocoron), which also looks pretty good. But their other releases were on more exclusive Japanese hardware like the FM Towns (although Nostalgia 1907 did make it on to the Sega CD https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/segacd/570502-nostalgia-1907).
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: BlueGunstarHero

BlueGunstarHero
2 months ago#13
Blaster Master - does some very clever 4-color tilework and I believe some palette-swapping exploits to get an above average on-screen color count for the console; also noteworthy for being pretty early in the console lifecycle.

Summer Festival '92: Recca - the faux-scaling here is pretty smoothly animated, although the game also has some sprite flickering issues.

Kirby's Adventure - I'm not really a fan of this game but with its colors and parallax layers this looks better than some 16-bit games.

Super Mario Bros. 3 - Sometimes simplicity has its benefits; in this case the multi-directional level scroll is notably smooth

… I think my 5th would probably be a tie between Mega Man V and Zen: Intergalactic Ninja. MMV is a much better game, and would make the list for a combination of color, detail and scrolling (have you ever ridden the super arrow for a long stretch?), while Zen pulls off some nice scaling effects when the character jumps that might rival Recca.

Also an honorable mention to Cosmic Epsilon for best looking 3D rail shooter on NES.
Xbox Gamertag/Steam ID: bluegunstarhero

User Info: NESnerd

NESnerd
2 months ago#14
I felt like roger rabbit had some really good graphics for it's time, might just be me though. Thought I'd add to the conversation lol

User Info: MarioLinkNES

MarioLinkNES
1 month ago#15
Mario 3
TMNT 3
Castlevania 3
Batman
Blaster Master
I own Tandy,2600,NES,NESv2,GB,SNES,GBC,N64,GBA,SP, NGC,DS,DSL,XL,Wii,3DS,3DSXL,WiiU,NS,SMS,SMS2,SG,SG2,GG, SCD,S32X,SS,SDC,PS1,PS2,PS3,PS4,XBox,360,XO and PC

User Info: MB1234

MB1234
1 month ago#16
Recently picked up Felix the Cat. Definitely one of the best looking games on the system. Looks like a SNES game.
NES is the GOAT

User Info: farrago

farrago
1 month ago#17
Kirby's Adventure
Felix The Cat
Super Mario Bros. 3
River City Ransom
The Punisher
  1. Boards
  2. NES
  3. 5 best looking NES games