You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NES
  3. NES Games You Consider Perfect

User Info: Black_Crusher

Black_Crusher
4 weeks ago#61
bruplex posted...
It's funny that a lot of the games in question have interface issues vs. actual gameplay issues (lack of passwords, long passwords). A lot of games here are "personally perfect", or as good as they could be within limitations taken for granted.

A good example is Tetris. I find the GBC version of Tetris DX to be perfect simply for the battery save that keeps track of scores and lines. As fun as the NES version is, the lack of saved data seems to be a major oversight.

I'd add Ultima: Exodus as a personal favorite, even though I know other users would have plenty of legit complaints. My only minor gripe is that nearly all the key items in the dungeons are on the bottom levels - which can be easily warped to using magic.

Another is Nobunaga's Ambition. Even though it's relatively easy to manipulate a lot of things in your favor, it remains a truly enjoyable experience. There are flaws, sure (Pact and Marriage systems seem broken, for example), but I have a blast with it.

Blaster Master with passwords would be pretty close to perfect, but without, it's a chore to re-explore later levels.

Good call on Nobunaga's Ambition, my brother and I loved that game. I wonder how well it holds up today?
My roguelike, Equin: The Lantern!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/547980/Equin_The_Lantern/

User Info: bruplex

bruplex
4 weeks ago#62
Black_Crusher posted...
Good call on Nobunaga's Ambition, my brother and I loved that game. I wonder how well it holds up today?

So I've been doing "Deep playthroughs" of NES games since 2007 - trying to get the full experience for games I'd previously bested. I've been playing NA since then, my quest: to win the full game scenario with all 50 Daimyos. I'm up to 47 (including all the scrubs like Beesho and Kakizaki). Three left!

I find it still holds up... for what it is. It's not for everyone, for sure. I love it though. It's never too micromanagey (I keep all my Fiefs under my own control until the very end). I like the basic strategy and the randomness of events to keep you on your toes.
Use your computer mouse to navigate the internets. Be sure to talk to everyone you meet. You're sure to gain lots of valuable information.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: ZoqFotPik

ZoqFotPik
4 weeks ago#63
I still find games like Excitebike and Fire 'n Ice very odd which have level-editors, but no save/share feature.
I am not the FOT!
~~the Zoq, the Fot & the Pik~~
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: KarsUltimate

KarsUltimate
4 weeks ago#64
ZoqFotPik posted...
I still find games like Excitebike and Fire 'n Ice very odd which have level-editors, but no save/share feature.

I think those were some of the first editors in games.

And like someone mentioned above, that was a luxury for battery backup, and the editor was a feature ahead of its time.

I guess I find LOZ especially odd, since it was a FDS game repackaged into an NES game. Just think, if the NES actually had a mic feature like the Famicom did, or we actually got the freakin' Disk System like Japan. Although I do share the TC's sentiments very much. I'm certain I've played it the most of any NES game.
"Oh glorious Mother Brain! Please save us!"

User Info: ZoqFotPik

ZoqFotPik
4 weeks ago#65
Excite Bike yes, but FnI was a late release and I remember it would save your game progress, just not your custom levels.
I am not the FOT!
~~the Zoq, the Fot & the Pik~~

User Info: railroads

railroads
2 weeks ago#66
Dragon Warrior 4

This series started off strong with DW1 and kept on getting better and better with every iteration on the NES. DW4 builds a deeper story, better dungeons, more bosses, more characters (including supporting NPCs), more side quests, fantastic music, strong controls, pushed the display into "3d" and was to me the perfect RPG on NES. I still enjoy the first 3 but this one is so far ahead in so many areas.

User Info: mrmtmn

mrmtmn
2 weeks ago#67
For me there are only 3 games that I consider "perfect"-ish.
Castlevania 3
Batman
Balloon Fight

While none of these is my absolute fav, all 3 of these games would fit into my Top 10.
A ball is better than a marble.

User Info: blknge89

blknge89
1 week ago#68
..................... maybe Tetris.

User Info: ChaseXtreme

ChaseXtreme
1 week ago#69
Like a few have said already, I wouldn't say any are perfect since all have at least one flaw. Here's what I say are near perfect:

Blaster Master
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Final Fantasy
Legend Of Zelda
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
http://i.imgur.com/Ex6coam.gif
http://i.imgur.com/hG1xDk3.gif
  1. Boards
  2. NES
  3. NES Games You Consider Perfect