NES Arcade Ports That Surpassed The Originals

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NES
  3. NES Arcade Ports That Surpassed The Originals

User Info: SumerNivek

SumerNivek
1 year ago#31
MasterOfKaioken posted...
SumerNivek posted...
How about a more obvious one? NES Super Mario was, to me, better than Vs. Super Mario Bros., which was the arcade version. Vs. Super Mario Bros was much harder than NES Super Mario. I know, Nintendo did that on purpose to get more quarters out of us, and I heard some of the levels in Vs. Super Mario ended up in the tough Japanese SMB2.

However, I do credit Vs. Super Mario Bros with me asking for (and indeed getting) a NES for the Xmas of 1987. That, and of course the Zelda commercials that ran during the summer of 1987. :)

I thought about this one too, but technically Vs. Super Mario Bros. is the port and the NES version is the original. Still worth a mention tho.

You're right! After posting it, I thought what you just said. :) I guess my first taste of SMB was with the Vs. cabinet, so I just assumed it came first as a kid. It wasn't until the mid-90s did I find out that Nintendo made an arcade version after the home/Famicom version.
"One more thing. If anything, they're Wisps in Eredar form." -Posted by Doilyn on 5/9/06.

User Info: noidentity

noidentity
1 year ago#32
PStrife posted...
TMNT: The Arcade Game is infinitely better at the arcades. It looks & sounds better and offers infinite continues as well. The NES/Famicom port is serviceable, but the arcade experience really is where it was at.

Yeah it was acceptable for what it was back then. The arcade version is the only way to play it nowadays.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1318223517

User Info: Action53

Action53
1 year ago#33
I like Vs Super Mario better than the NES version, I enjoy the challenge. The jumps on 6-3 are insane, after a year of owning it I still find it challenging and I've yet to finish 6-4. My high score to date is 410k.

Arcade punch out is frustrating. I can get to Soda Popinski on the NES nearly every time but I can't get past Glass Joe on the arcade

User Info: ItchyIsVegeta

ItchyIsVegeta
1 year ago#34
Action53 posted...
I like Vs Super Mario better than the NES version, I enjoy the challenge. The jumps on 6-3 are insane, after a year of owning it I still find it challenging and I've yet to finish 6-4. My high score to date is 410k.

Arcade punch out is frustrating. I can get to Soda Popinski on the NES nearly every time but I can't get past Glass Joe on the arcade

Technically Vs SMB is the port, but yeah. Definitely the better version. In fact, this is what first got me wanting a Nintendo back in the day and what got me hooked on Super Mario Bros, before it was released on NES.
XBOX Gamertag: ITCHYisVegeta

User Info: old-new72

old-new72
1 year ago#35
TMNT II was better on the NES than the Arcade version. There is no way an 8-bit system is going to do a four player game that was running on stronger hardware. If it did, it would have glitched badly or suffer like Double Dragon with sprite limitations. It should be obvious the downgrade in graphics and audio. It would be that way until Dreamcast came out. Even stuff on Atari 2600 had huge downgrades.

You want the better Turtles game in the Arcades? Turtles in Time.
"Super Mario Kart has better 3D graphics than Saturn games." The cranky hermit

User Info: Heracylost

Heracylost
1 year ago#36
Rygar

From side scrolly kinda boring, to ARPG. Awesome.
That was a great time, the summer of '71 - I can't remember it, but I'll never forget it. Lemmy Kilmister

User Info: bruplex

bruplex
1 year ago#37
Kung-Fu: In the arcade, Thomas is lanky, slow and the game kind of crawls. The NES version is quicker and has better play control (and one might argue better graphics).

Heavy Barrel: Probably just a personal preference, but I like the NES version.
Use your computer mouse to navigate the internets. Be sure to talk to everyone you meet. You're sure to gain lots of valuable information.

User Info: Snake_Oil

Snake_Oil
1 year ago#38
Legendary Wings? : P
GET SOME REST!!!
  1. Boards
  2. NES
  3. NES Arcade Ports That Surpassed The Originals

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived