• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. If I want to buy Sega Genesis games, should I use eBay or is it too risky?

User Info: Really Good Bee

Really Good Bee
7 months ago#1
Just wondering if I should use eBay or stick to Amazon.
"It was as if, in that moment, he had to come to know all the pain and anguish of his ancestors. And he chose that moment to extract their revenge."

User Info: Granzert

Granzert
7 months ago#2
In continental Europe you don't have the choice between Amazon and Ebay, since Amazon rarely sells genuine retro games here.
Ebay is quite a good place to purchase Sega games, out of more than 150 games I ordered there, just one transaction made real problems. Sometimes manuals are missing or the games are broken, but these issues got resolved, mostly by the vendors themselves, except for that one time.
The only real thing that can be a PITA are the shipping fees, especially when you order in the UK and the games pass via Ebay's shipping center.
By the way, some vendors, mainly German ones, want to be payed by bank transfer and not by PayPal, which went well so far for me.
American football should be called handegg!

User Info: pedro45

pedro45
6 months ago#3
Forget Amazon. Terrible company altogether.
Ebay I have used countless times with everything working quite well. I think only 2 or 3 times have I had an issue and it was always the seller and not Ebay.
Most things have great descriptions and pictures. You can always ask questions
Warning: Sometimes biased
http://i.imgur.com/V0x5fw8.jpg http://i.imgur.com/IOovUge.gif http://i.imgur.com/zw7bqPH.jpg

User Info: noidentity

noidentity
6 months ago#4
I’ve been using eBay for nearly 20 years now. Just check the pictures, check the seller’s feedback. eBay favors buyers more than sellers anyway.

User Info: EgoKiller801

EgoKiller801
6 months ago#5
If you're just going for popular titles, ie. Sonic, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe etc. I wouldn't be wary about getting fake carts from Ebay. There really isn't a significant bootleg issue with the Genesis in general. Obviously you need to always be really careful if you're going to go after some of the more expensive games like MUSHA and Crusader of Centy though.
https://i.imgur.com/YOs6vEi.png

User Info: Granzert

Granzert
6 months ago#6
Do you know Retroplace?
It's a German site where you can buy and resell video games easily which could be interesting for you if you are based in Europe.
American football should be called handegg!

User Info: KingMikeX

KingMikeX
6 months ago#7
ebay search results will also show if the seller is not in your country.
Avoid sellers from China and Russia, who will list with language like "Brand New 16-bit USA version game card".
(the only authentic games that will still be "New" after decades, will be some usually unpopular games, or else they will be sold as very expensive collectibles)

Some will even have "More colors available". Real carts don't have color options. :P

User Info: StreetsOfRave

StreetsOfRave
6 months ago#8
noidentity posted...
I’ve been using eBay for nearly 20 years now. Just check the pictures, check the seller’s feedback. eBay favors buyers more than sellers anyway.

Was going to post something similar. In my 11 years of using eBay, I have never accidentally bought a bootleg. Pay attention to the pictures. You can always contact the seller for more or better quality pictures. The feedback is important! Never buy from somebody if they have terrible feedback. Pay attention to the negative feedback to see exactly what happened.

If you end up getting a bootleg or faulty game, don't worry. You can always open a case with eBay, even if the seller says no returns. Ebay is on the buyers side and you really have nothing to worry about.
Metroid Prime is the best game ever made.
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. If I want to buy Sega Genesis games, should I use eBay or is it too risky?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A