• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. i know this has been asked before but what is the deal with sonic 3 licensing?

User Info: creep50

creep50
1 month ago#1
i'm not even big of a fan of sonic, but i did get the mega drive mini (which is amazing and overwhelming at the same time), but it did strike me as odd that they do not have the 3rd game in the trilogy of their mascot character, but have 2 mickey mouse games

you would think that there would be more of a problem to deal with disney and disney's mascot then sega's own mascot

it would be like if the NES mini didn't have mario 3 but did have duck tales instead
San Andreas > > > > > > > > >Desert Bus > > > > > > > >GTA 4

User Info: PStrife

PStrife
1 month ago#2
Well Michael Jackson's estate is much harder to deal with then Disney at this point, plus they would seek a long-term licensing agreement in order to make the deal worthwhile for Sega, if all the allegations are true. It is a grey area that Sega's legal department does not seem to want to get a black/white answer to, hence no Sonic 3.

creep50
1 month ago#3
PStrife posted...
Well Michael Jackson's estate is much harder to deal with then Disney at this point, plus they would seek a long-term licensing agreement in order to make the deal worthwhile for Sega, if all the allegations are true. It is a grey area that Sega's legal department does not seem to want to get a black/white answer to, hence no Sonic 3.

well isn't it possible to detach some 'allegations' against a deceased man away from his art and the game?
Rosmary's baby is one of my favourite movies despite what the director did

actually given how long credit lists are for many games i'm positive that most of them have some people that have done some bad things listed in it, but that dosn't mean that they need to ignore the quality of the art

Michael Jackson wasn't even credited, i don't think this should be such an issue, but i get what you mean tho

User Info: PStrife

PStrife
1 month ago#4
I am not referencing Michael's legal allegations involving kids. This is the allegations of whether or not he actually did the work with Sega, as it lacks a proper paper trail. To be fair, 90s Sega in general isn't a well run internal machine, whereby something like losing a payment trail, it is very possible with their lackluster internal workings. If the President of Sega of America doesn't even know what it is going on, well then that just leaves more questions.

Seems as though as the 90s moved forward, the hiring of celebrities became so common within Sega of America, that people just stopped paying attention to who and why they were hiring them.

creep50
1 month ago#5
PStrife posted...
I am not referencing Michael's legal allegations involving kids. This is the allegations of whether or not he actually did the work with Sega, as it lacks a proper paper trail. To be fair, 90s Sega in general isn't a well run internal machine, whereby something like losing a payment trail, it is very possible with their lackluster internal workings. If the President of Sega of America doesn't even know what it is going on, well then that just leaves more questions.

Seems as though as the 90s moved forward, the hiring of celebrities became so common within Sega of America, that people just stopped paying attention to who and why they were hiring them.

so if they did release sonic 3 on the mini without even asking any of the estate, who exactly could sue and complain given that he isn't credited? if the paper trail is lacking dosn't it become nullified?

i'm not sure i understand this at all
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. i know this has been asked before but what is the deal with sonic 3 licensing?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers